The Student Room Group

Mental health & university applications

Hello.

I guess my question is whether the top universities will completely disregard someone based on their declaration of mental health issues (severe depression & anxiety). My GCSEs are average thanks to me being ill for the majority of them (6A, 2B, 2C & 1 Distinction), I've not recieved my AS grades obviously but in Jan I recieved AAB (Econ didn't have Jan exams). Basically I'm still really struggling but I've become quite good at independent study - my attendance at college is 70%.

Today a teacher told me they had to mention my attendence on my reference - which kind of threw me. I'm hoping for a better year attendance wise at A2 thanks to a medication review.

Does mentioning my issues mean my chances at Russell group universities will be shot?

It seems like a double edged sword right now. If I mention it they'll question my ability to handle the course I want to do and if I don't they'll wonder why my GCSEs aren't good as well as why my attendance is so low.

Any help is appreciated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
They're not allowed to discriminate, so can't reject you just because you're ill. In fact, if you declare it, it will put your problems into perspective - ask your teacher if they can write something like "Bob has anxiety issues which has meant his attendance is low" rather than just saying something which could be interpreted independently of your condition.

Also, you may be eligible for extra help because of your illness. you might get DSA which will provide you with helpful things, like a notetaker who can attend lectures and write notes if you're unable to attend, or a dictaphone to record things. It does depend on your circumstances exactly what you can get because they look at what will help you the most. They can also give things like extra time in exams or even a private room if you don't want to take exams in a crowded room - although those adjustments are done by the uni themselves.

So yeah, stop worrying :-) there's no reason you can't go to uni just because you're ill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks for the reassurance. Probably should let my mind settle before I post stuff after midnight. xD I spoke to my PT last week and my mind has definitely be put to ease. Thanks for humouring me though!
Reply 3
I'm guessing PT is some kind of medical professional. If so, they could provide you with a letter which will help to prove to the unis how your illness affects you, and they will be able to say things about how you're on different medication now and thus should be more able to cope in future. You can't attach this to the UCAS form as such, but you can send stuff directly to the unis - you need to ask first if they'll consider it, but it's worth a try.
Reply 4
I have the same problem and I was worried that if I mentioned my issues it would shoot me in the foot. My GCSE grades are not the best and managed to get 6 A*-C grades and I have had to take a year out from college due to my illness, so hopefully if I get excellent grades for A levels then it shouldn't be an issue?

In my opinion though surely if they know you have managed to complete full education and want to go on further they will see you as a strong and dedicated character for managing it along with depression?
Reply 5
Oops sorry. PT is personal tutor.

Yeah. I think my GCSEs are brilliant considering what I was going through at the time. If that doesn't show I'm dedicated to education I don't know what does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending