The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Law as an American

I am an American that is interested in studying Law in the UK beginning in the fall of 2014. I love London and I am particularly interested in UCL! The American Entry requirements are as follows: Passes of 4/5 in 5 or more AP exams. Alternatively, a score of 1950/2400 on the SAT with one year at an American University. Since I don’t want to spend a year here at an American university, I don’t want to go with option two, and want to depend on my AP scores. I have, however, come across the UCL Foundation year program online. It looked like a good idea for me, but after reading some forums online, I became a bit skeptic. Although I know you can’t believe everything you read on the internet...anyways, I have a few questions that I was hoping a few people more knowledgeable on these topics could help me out with.

1) The UPCH entry requirements state that an individual can take no more than 5 AP Exams. Does this mean that one can take more that 5 AP classes, just not take the exams and still be eligible?

2) Is the foundation year even worth it? Will I waste a year for a course that will not give me viable options for a future in UCL’s law course?

3) Would I be better off applying to the UCL Law course right off the bat? I don’t have my recent AP scores back (AP Lang and Comp, AP Physics B, and AP US History). I know my physics grade won’t be a 4/5, but I’m hopeful for the other two. I also already have a 4 under my belt in AP World History. Next year, my senior year, I’m also taking AP Lit, AP Bio, AP Govt and Economics, and AP Psychology and I have on idea how I’ll do on those.

I know that was a lot to take in, but ANY input will be greatly appreciated. It is my dream to study at UCL and I want to make the best choices to ensure that is possible!
Reply 1
I just wanted to say that as this is a UK site you will be hard pressed to find anyone who has any clue about the American qualification system "AP" means nothing to me (is that equivalent to A level? GCSE? I don't know?) and instead of "classes you should say "modules" because if you say "classes" people may think you just turned up to 5 lessons.

Why not just ask UCL?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hey, I'm also applying to UCL (alongside Oxford and LSE) for Law and I also study in the American system.

1). Yes, I would suppose that's what it means. Except, what's really the point of taking the classes if you don't do the exams?

2). To be honest, I'm not quite sure about the foundation year. It may be worth it if it means you can get in the following year, but if there isn't that much of a higher likelihood, then it's probably not worth it.

3). Guess it depends on this year's scores. If you at least get one or two fives, you may get a conditional offer, so I would say it's worth applying now. I'm also one AP short right now, but that's okay. Also, you'll do fine of AP Lit if you do well this year on Language. Psych isn't too difficult from what I've heard, and I just finished studying for Government & Politics for next year, and it isn't too difficult either. I did economics last year and that was probably one of the harder APs I've done, but it's worth it.

Good luck!
I am in an American school as well (albeit outside the US) so I think I can answer your questions.

Before I start, I will briefly explain what's going on here to other users who don't know about American qualifications. In the US, AP classes are taken by highly motivated students who want to get through the General Education requirements at the first year of college to save time and money, i.e. If you take AP Calculus BC and get a 4 or 5, you won't have to take that class again at college.

Since the average British student studies these subjects as A-level before going to university, British universities use AP exams as an equivalent for A-level. Generally, 5=A, 4=B, 3=C, and so on. If a university makes AAB offers, they will require 554 from an American student. However, there are a few exceptions like UCL who require more than that. UCL requires at least four AP exams, and five for competitive courses. (I probably wrote much more than I intended, anyway lol)

Here are your answers:
1) Yes, you can. Although I agree with Nerdgirl1996 that there wouldn't be much point in taking an AP class without the intention of taking the exam.

2) Bear in mind that UCL does not guarantee direct progression onto their undergraduate course (especially true for Law and Economics). You need to maintain an average of A and score good on LNAT, and you will be applying through UCAS like other people once you complete your foundation course. However, it is still worth trying and will probably get you into another top 10 university, provided that you don't just sit on your butt all year lol.

3) If you feel confident that you will have a total score of 55554 on your AP tests, I say you should be applying for direct entry instead. Keep in mind though, not all APs count. They have to be Group A subjects (you can find the full list here). Even though it wouldn't hurt to have extra 5s and 4s on relatively easier APs like Psychology or Statistics, you need to have 5 traditional subjects.

(Just realised this is a 2 month old thread, duh)
(edited 10 years ago)
Im taking AP Psychology and AP Econ this year as well as AP Language and AP Gov, if I get 5s on all of them will I qualify for UCL law?
Original post by Repsa
Im taking AP Psychology and AP Econ this year as well as AP Language and AP Gov, if I get 5s on all of them will I qualify for UCL law?

you should make a new thread as old ones tend to get Closed.

UCL should be clear about their entry requirements on their website, have you tried googling it?
I will now thanks. I did but some sources state that Economics and Psychology are class B subjects whereas some say that they are class A subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest