The Student Room Group

Advice on dating a muslim guy

Scroll to see replies

Muslim men can marry People of the Book (Jews and Christians) and they do so throughout the whole world. So not being able to do so is news to me. Maybe this is some sort of Eastern Asian culture to marry people the same as you?
Reply 21
Original post by AeneasBK
And what do you think God would suggest? Honor thy mother and thy father...

Exactly :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by kka25
But you believe in different Gods, which makes your beliefs and his very different; would that be possible?

As I understand it, a religion is basically a way of life; can you accept his way of doing things if you were to get hitched?

Some suggested that muslim follow christian bible old testament, I do not know if it's true.
Since I lived in muslim country (Brunei) and studied in government school (which is compulsory to learn about muslim) and being with muslims my whole life.
Reply 23
Original post by kka25
But you believe in different Gods, which makes your beliefs and his very different; would that be possible?

As I understand it, a religion is basically a way of life; can you accept his way of doing things if you were to get hitched?

Some suggested that muslim follow christian bible old testament, I do not know if it's true.
Since I lived in muslim country (Brunei) and studied in government school (which is compulsory to learn about muslim) and being with muslims my whole life, so I'm used to their way of life. He in the other hand,is very new to mine.
Reply 24
Original post by silverbolt
Of course they can. Anyone can leave any religion - or they can still keep the faith but not follow its insular, backward, conservative, rules.

Have you considered children? How will they be raised? Muslim, Christian or neither?

Definitely not in muslim countries, I'm very certain.

Yes,of course we've considered children. They will be raised with both religions knowledge and we will allow them to choose whichever path they want to take.
Reply 25
As far as I know as a Muslim, a Muslim man can marry a Christian woman without converting her to Islam.
Reply 26
Original post by MeganRok
I'd suggest, if it was me in that situation, that you both leave religion to be together. If that is the only thing that is stopping you, why would you want to be part of it? I have a friend who dated a Muslim guy for just a few months, and at that time he was already telling her how she must convert to Islam for him, this obviously scared her off for the sudden commitment rush, and also how he just assumed she would do it

Our religions and parents are linked. Any of us convert or leave our religion,we are most likely get disowned,it is THAT strict and we believe in our religion. We dated more than one year and I've already expected this before I even get into a relationship with him,it took me a while before I said yes. I have to consider my family,which will of course is not happy and friends who because of the rejection of pork and dogs,said I did a terrible decision. We're being rejected people. Some of his friends don't like Chinese. Honestly,I just said 'just go with it,give him a chance'. I didn't love him then. He means the world to me now. He never gave up proving me wrong,never gave up on believing future for us. He said 'We'll figure it out' with a huge smile :redface:
Reply 27
Original post by Boy Better Know
Muslim men can marry People of the Book (Jews and Christians) and they do so throughout the whole world. So not being able to do so is news to me. Maybe this is some sort of Eastern Asian culture to marry people the same as you?

They can of course marry non-muslim with the condition of non-muslim compulsory to convert to muslim. The compulsory part of converting, I think it's only in muslim countries like Brunei and Malaysia.
Reply 28
Original post by Roger1
As far as I know as a Muslim, a Muslim man can marry a Christian woman without converting her to Islam.

In which country and any condition?
Reply 29
Original post by AliceV
In which country and any condition?

The Quran in Sura 5:5 says:
. . . Likewise you are permitted to marry chaste believing women [Muslims] or chaste women among the people who were given the Scripture [Jews and Christians] . . . .

It is permissible for a Muslim man to marry a Christian/Jewish woman strictly under these two conditions:

She is a true Christian/Jew not by name and/or ancestral background.

She did not renegade from Islam and become a Christian/Jew.

Original post by AliceV
They can of course marry non-muslim with the condition of non-muslim compulsory to convert to muslim. The compulsory part of converting, I think it's only in muslim countries like Brunei and Malaysia.

It's clearly written in the Qur'an, a Muslim man can marry a Christian/Jewish woman. And there is no need for her to convert.
It's clearly written in the Qur'an, a Muslim man can marry a Christian/Jewish woman. And there is no need for her to convert.

She lives in Malaysia though, where it's compulsory to convert by law I think.
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal

I don't know anything about Malaysian Law. They could always get their Nikah done, which doesn't involve the state.
Reply 33
Original post by Roger1
The Quran in Sura 5:5 says:
. . . Likewise you are permitted to marry chaste believing women [Muslims] or chaste women among the people who were given the Scripture [Jews and Christians] . . . .

It is permissible for a Muslim man to marry a Christian/Jewish woman strictly under these two conditions:

She is a true Christian/Jew not by name and/or ancestral background.

She did not renegade from Islam and become a Christian/Jew.

Thank you so much! This really gave us hope. Thank you!!
Reply 34

Best news I've heard. Thank you so much!
Reply 35
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal

Yes,it is indeed compulsory but that scripture gave us hope. We could try to convince our parents and might be able to use it against the law :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by AliceV
Thank you so much! This really gave us hope. Thank you!!

No problem! Hope you marry the love of your life one day. Be happy. :smile:
Islamically as a Christian woman you can marry him without reverting, although you might have trouble later on with how children are brought up and success will depend upon how flexible you both are.

I'm not familiar with Malaysian law, but I understand that Malays are given certain financial and educational privlidges not given to immigrants unless they happen to marry a Malay? I have a feeling the rule about reverting to Islam may be in place to prevent abuse of this?

It's sad the Malaysian government doesn't abide by Islamic teachings, can you not circumvent this law by marrying in China?
I'd strongly suggest against dating a Muslim guy if you're not Muslim.

Muslim people are very against converting to other religions, so if you ever want to get married to him you'd have to convert to his religion and you can forget about a Christian wedding (the suggestion of a Christian+Muslim wedding by one poster is quite nice, but Muslims would be against it).

There's also always going to be friction between his family and yours. Here's a question: would your parents mind if you married someone from another religion e.g. a Hindu?
Reply 39
No become athiest.

You don't want to end up like tsarneav's wife (widow) do you?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending