The Student Room Group

Sixth Form or College?

So I'm currently still deciding on whether I want to go to college or stay in my school and go to their sixth form, but I'm not sure which will be more beneficial.
My sixth form has smaller classes so can focus on pupils more specifically and also I know the teaching styles and I'm already aware that I could reach my full potential in that school. However, it has a uniform which means I have to wear formal clothes to school so I'd have to buy a new wardrobe of formal wear which I can't afford. Also, I don't really enjoy going to school there because of the people (like the students themselves).

On the other hand, I could go to a college which means a fresh start to meet new people and a much larger area with more resources and a specific focus on those doing A-levels. I'm not sure what the teaching styles are like but I know I'd have to be a lot more independent (in a way that could prepare me for university, so I'm not sure if that's a pro or con). The classes are of a larger size so people are usually just taught then expected to get on with their own work and do their own thing really.

Which sounds better to choose for the next two years?
Reply 1
Only you can make that decision to be honest, but 've just finished college and going there was the best decision of my life. The college offered more courses, and courses that I actually wanted to do. My classes have never been larger than about 20 which is absolutely fine, and most teachers were willing to support you 1-to-1 if you were having trouble with a particular topic. My personal tutor has also supported me every step of the way. The independence is also really good; you are in charge of your own learning. You have to keep your attendance as near to full as possible, and there are reprimands if you don't do the bare minimum, but after that it's up to you. You can attend your 3 lessons per subject per week or whatever and do nothing else, or you can use the spare time to bump up your grade. Academically I feel ready for university and the lecture/self study style thanks to the past 2 years. Have a look around the college, see what the atmosphere is like.
Reply 2
My sister went to the same college instead of deciding to go to the sixth form however she wasn't really motivated to keep up with her attendance or punctuality etc. and her grades weren't as good as they could have been but I'm not sure if that was down to the college itself or her own attitude.
Reply 3
College is generally what you make of it; if you are motivated, you will do well.
Reply 4
I think college will be better for you because of access to resources as well meeting new people and making new friends/growing your network. Teachers do help the students that want extra support if you ask for it. As for the classes, some of them are not really big; it depends on how popular the course is. If a lot of people applied for the same course the college would probably split you into two groups. That's what happened on my Business course; they split us into two groups but we still talked to each other. Then in second year they mixed the groups up so that there is more of a mixture depending on ability and other factors. In College, they treat you like an adult but they do make sure that you're ok and if there's any problems then you go to your Tutor. Also the college helps you with your next step like applications and interviews for Higher Education and jobs etc. Go to college!
Reply 5
Also it's up to you on whether you want to learn or not. Like what one of the other poster wrote (Gnome) College is what you make of it. If you want to do well, then you attend classes, work hard, complete assignments etc. Its your decision, think for yourself. But they do look after students as well. Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending