The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
excellent_em
I hope you don't need a title or subheadings: it said to 'write the text of the article'. So surely not...

God! I didn't even think of titles until just now!

I though the first two were fine, but the third one, I'm not sure about because I didn't really know what to write and plus i had no time left! I tended to argue about whether my diet was advisable rather than recommending it but oh well... we can't change it now :smile:

how could you run out of time?! i had a break when there was 25 minutes to go as I felt tired :frown:
Reply 21
SophieSomething
I also included undermining "competeters" (I think I've spelt that wrong now... haha - It didn't look as wrong on paper). At the begining of the article, the writer mentioned how other companies are always trying to guilt the readers into buying their products by using "emotive language and countryside imagery" or something like that... I wrote that he was trying to convince readers that his company was better (I also mentioned that this technique wasn't highly successful as he seemed to have not noticed that he was using the same emotive language and imagery... highly ironic). I also mentioned that he included well-known charities like the RSPCA which gives the reader "proof" as the RSPCA is highly-respected, and it also included a statistic (30% of members have spot checks...) etc.

Wow, that was a bit of a ramble haha.

What did you write?

Exactly what i wrote! :smile: That stood out for me when i was reading it. I basically talked about the language and presentation, i was happy with my answer as i generally dont do amazingly well in those sort of questions.
Reply 22
Mustardseed
I don't know, you might. I got a high A* across my coursework but I think on this exam I probably got 75/90 at the most, so I want to know if my coursework might be enough to push me over the grade boundary to an A* despite that... Of course, it depends what the grade boundary is...

Does anyone know what they are usually?

English Lang, from what i can remember 40% is your Coursework, which is a great thing for you as it seems you aced your coursework. The majority of my courseworks were low As and thats what im trying to achieve overall in my Lang.
Reply 23
You are either crazy or did a different paper from me! We did Spec A and Paper 2 was the WORST! We got "This Room" and "Vultures" and then the others were "Inform on activities for youngsters in summer hols", "Describe Yourself" and "Explain a huge change in your life and its effects" and one other question. "Describe Yourself" was the worst question I could have picked-there was zero to write.
Reply 24
LTZ
You are either crazy or did a different paper from me! We did Spec A and Paper 2 was the WORST! We got "This Room" and "Vultures" and then the others were "Inform on activities for youngsters in summer hols", "Describe Yourself" and "Explain a huge change in your life and its effects" and one other question. "Describe Yourself" was the worst question I could have picked-there was zero to write.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Looking back, I think I should have done the "change in your life" thing. Still, I think I did well in the “describe yourself” question - just would have enjoyed the other a bit more. That's what happens when you don't time yourself correctly - you don't bother spending time choosing the best question, you just go for the first one you see, out of panic and fear of time wasting.

(Or so, that's what I did, anyway!)
SophieSomething
I also included undermining "competeters" (I think I've spelt that wrong now... haha - It didn't look as wrong on paper). At the begining of the article, the writer mentioned how other companies are always trying to guilt the readers into buying their products by using "emotive language and countryside imagery" or something like that... I wrote that he was trying to convince readers that his company was better (I also mentioned that this technique wasn't highly successful as he seemed to have not noticed that he was using the same emotive language and imagery... highly ironic). I also mentioned that he included well-known charities like the RSPCA which gives the reader "proof" as the RSPCA is highly-respected, and it also included a statistic (30% of members have spot checks...) etc.

Wow, that was a bit of a ramble haha.

What did you write?

I put all those points in as well, but never mentioned headlines! oops, not feeling too bad about how it went just feel i missed out some really obvious things.
Reply 26
LTZ

This is OCR English Lang, not AQA English Lang :p: