The Student Room Group

Maths & further maths A level in one year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SexyNerd
Thanks, I'm sure they are but I'm not really interested and I've already purchased the books. :smile:

You shouldn't be too quick to judge, s1 and s2 are very very very very easy A grades in the least. Besides if you plan to do something Maths at Uni, which I take you are. You will be disadvantaged if you don't do stats up to s2. Since YOU WILL have to do it at Uni, you can't exactly avoid it forever. It honestly get's interesting the more you do it (coming from a guy who did extra FP modules and m(1,2,3,5).) Ha you can even apply it to your daily life.

Stats is more useful to know than Decision and arguably more interesting. (no one like decision, I've seen uni lecturers including Cambridge one say Decision is useless and pointless at A-level)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
i resat a few modules this year - s1, s2, c1 (for a few ums) and c4... After doing fp1 /2/ 3 it made the normal maths course look beautiful and shiny again :sadnod:

Hola to anyone that has FP3 this afternoon, best of luck guys.
If only Jan exams still existed :frown: I would of been able to do my FM A level in one year :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by Faye_m
Would it be safe to do so for c2, s1, s2? C3, c4 I will do properly because I need A*
(I'm self teaching whilst working so that's why I'm so time bound)

C1 Yes
C2 Yes
S1 Yes
S2 Yes
C3 No
C4 No
FP1 Yes

I'm not sure about the other modules you are taking but I have put a yes against the modules you can and a no against the modules you can't. It really depends on your maths level. I would still skim through the book and look at all the examples in the book to make sure you know how to do everything before moving on.
Reply 44
Has anyone here done both in one year (I met someone a long time ago on here) and I would like to know what's the best way to deal with all those exams?

Wow that sounds like a hell of a lot of modules, past papers and textbooks to get through. You ready for that? Its literally going to require full-time dedication from you. Make a practical decision is my advice
Reply 45
Original post by jarasta
I would advise against this, they way maths is, you have to do the easy things first, build up your foundation of knowledge and skills, then you do the harder stuff. You can't do FP2, FP3,C4 calculus or trig without having done it in c1-c3. Besides the later modules assume knowledge from the previous knowledge, so it's pretty hard to learn fp2 well if you don't know AS core maths etc.

True but for someone doing intensive maths and further maths this is the way to go. I go to an A level college so I see a lot of people doing different courses. Although I have done the conventional 2 years my friend has done it intensive and he went straight from GCSE into FP3. He found it hard at the start but he is very bright and motivated (unlike me) and we have a great teacher at the school (in the top 20 maths teachers in the UK or something). After the shock he was able to do FP2 and FP3 within 2 months and didnt even study C1, C2, C3 which saved him a lot of time. It depends on motivation and ability to quote m4ths and if you have the ability to make a massive jump in terms of difficulty and survive then you should do FP2/FP3 first. If not and you need the background then I'm afraid intensive is just not for you
Reply 46
Original post by kvohra
True but for someone doing intensive maths and further maths this is the way to go. I go to an A level college so I see a lot of people doing different courses. Although I have done the conventional 2 years my friend has done it intensive and he went straight from GCSE into FP3. He found it hard at the start but he is very bright and motivated (unlike me) and we have a great teacher at the school (in the top 20 maths teachers in the UK or something). After the shock he was able to do FP2 and FP3 within 2 months and didnt even study C1, C2, C3 which saved him a lot of time. It depends on motivation and ability to quote m4ths and if you have the ability to make a massive jump in terms of difficulty and survive then you should do FP2/FP3 first. If not and you need the background then I'm afraid intensive is just not for you

Not neccesarily, IMO if you want to actually learn the maths properly and not just learn and memorise methods for the exam, it essential to know the basics. This idea pretty much goes with most if not all fields of study. If you truly capable you should be fine this way, because everything you learn builds up as you go in further maths, the results you learn make more sense if you know where they are derived from. Maths is like building a house you start with a foundation etc then you build up on top.
Hell the best mathematicians worked this way, they learnt arithmetic mastered it, moved onto basic algebra, mastered that etc. They didn't learn calculus then learn arithmetic,so don't you dare imply anyone who learns the basics first is inferior in some way.

There is a reason when you go to study Maths at Uni or at school they first thing they do is ground you in the basics. At Uni you pretty much get taught A-level maths again and when you start 6th form you are taught GCSE Math again. It makes no sense to learn about the vector cross product if you don't know what vectors are. Because what happens when you take this approach, you end up having to learn what vectors are anyway, so why not learn it properly in the earlier modules.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by jarasta
You shouldn't be too quick to judge, s1 and s2 are very very very very easy A grades in the least. Besides if you plan to do something Maths at Uni, which I take you are. You will be disadvantaged if you don't do stats up to s2. Since YOU WILL have to do it at Uni, you can't exactly avoid it forever. It honestly get's interesting the more you do it (coming from a guy who did extra FP modules and m(1,2,3,5).) Ha you can even apply it to your daily life.

Stats is more useful to know than Decision and arguably more interesting. (no one like decision, I've seen uni lecturers including Cambridge one say Decision is useless and pointless at A-level)

I'm going to do engineering, and decision is more useful as you use it to plan schedules, ect.
Reply 48
Original post by Alia223
Wow that sounds like a hell of a lot of modules, past papers and textbooks to get through. You ready for that? Its literally going to require full-time dedication from you. Make a practical decision is my advice

I'm prepared to do it.
Reply 49
I have not done both in one year but I did 12 AS exams in one exam season this year and its quite do-able.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
I'm going to do engineering, and decision is more useful as you use it to plan schedules, ect.
Even then Statistics and probability theory is very very important to engineering, I've only done d1, I would still argue that statistics is more important and useful than Decision. It's more important than I'd like it to be if I'm honest, it's even a big part of quantum mechanics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_statistics
But yeah, it's your call.
Reply 51
I can't help feeling that doing AS and A2 Maths and FM in one year will only look impressive if you do well in both. (By 'well', I mean AA or better) - in any event, some of the top unis will specify A* in Maths (and possibly Further Maths) and getting anything less will not get you into those unis, even if you did it all in one year.
Reply 52
I did this, albeit with Jan exams (7 in Jan, 5 in June, + 4 economics in June). Are you going to be attending school/lessons?
Reply 53
Why don't you wanna do it in 2 years. As impressive as it is, Uni's won't be that impressed if you don't do well, it won't really give you an advantage over other's either when applying for University.
Original post by jarasta
You shouldn't be too quick to judge, s1 and s2 are very very very very easy A grades in the least.

Hi
I understand you may have found them easy (which is great :smile:) but only around 30% of students score 80 UMS or more in each unit.
This suggests that many don't fully get to grips with the modules.
I appreciate someone who wants to do a degree in maths may get on with them OK but I wouldnt say they are easyfor many students.
Reply 55
Original post by -G-a-v-
I can't help feeling that doing AS and A2 Maths and FM in one year will only look impressive if you do well in both. (By 'well', I mean AA or better) - in any event, some of the top unis will specify A* in Maths (and possibly Further Maths) and getting anything less will not get you into those unis, even if you did it all in one year.

Well I hope I do we'll, I'm sure I will as long as I work hard.
Reply 56
Well I hope I do we'll, I'm sure I will as long as I work hard.

It just seems like a big gamble - I've only skim-read the rest of the thread, but if you've got two years to do it, why not do it in two years?

If you're after a challenge, you could take STEP and/or AEA Maths.
Reply 57
Original post by -G-a-v-
It just seems like a big gamble - I've only skim-read the rest of the thread, but if you've got two years to do it, why not do it in two years?

Thanks, I will consider you advice.
Original post by -G-a-v-

IMO all students who are aiming for A* at A Level should chuck in a little AEA (at least) into their work over the 2 years.
I firmly believe all of the 'nasty questions' that have cropped up in C3/C4 over the last 2 years could have been dealt with by students who had had a little AEA exposure (assuming they master it) :smile:

C4 vectors question in June 2013
C3 trig question in June 2013
C3 trig question in January 2012

These are all examples that students doing a little AEA would have been 'at ease' with. :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by m4ths/maths247
IMO all students who are aiming for A* at A Level should chuck in a little AEA (at least) into their work over the 2 years.
I firmly believe all of the 'nasty questions' that have cropped up in C3/C4 over the last 2 years could have been dealt with by students who had had a little AEA exposure (assuming they master it) :smile:

C4 vectors question in June 2013
C3 trig question in June 2013
C3 trig question in January 2012

These are all examples that students doing a little AEA would have been 'at ease' with. :smile:

I've not seen this year's C4 or last year's C3. I saw this year's C3 on here and the trig questions didn't look fun at all :p:

But yeah, I can imagine people getting to grips with AEA-type problems would make light work of nasty questions on C3/C4 papers. Thinking back to when I sat A-level, trig and vectors were not the popular kids are the pure maths party anyway :p:

Quick Reply

Latest