The Student Room Group

A-Level Subject Choices

Okay, so here's the deal. I'm currently in Year 11, almost done my GCSEs now and also finished AS Geography too.

For year 12, I have already chosen Mathematics, Physics and Biology. I have chosen three subjects purely on the basis I want to focus on these three subjects as I enjoy them the most and (at GCSE at least) I am quite good at them.
The question is, will I be disadvantaged if I only do 3 subjects in year 12? I'm having second thoughts because I feel as if universities won't like the fact that I've only done three subjects in year 12... Am I right?

I more than happy to do 4 subjects and work my socks off in year 12, but what do you guys think? (FYI - Don't bother telling me to do A2 Geography as I would most probably hate it! haha)

One final question, is it possible if I do AS Further Maths during year 13?

Thank you for reading guys! Really sorry for the long message!:smile::smile::smile:
It's entirely dependent on what you want to go to Uni to do. I'm sure you'd be able to take up Further Maths in Y13, many do it at the college I'm going to in September.

I want to pick up Maths in Y13, purely because I want to see how I manage with the workload for 3 AS's before taking on a 4th.

Take a look at the entry requirements for the course(s) you want to do at Uni and take it from there. If you're still stuck, think about going to see your personal tutor or the careers advisor at your school.

:biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by prospectivemed
It's entirely dependent on what you want to go to Uni to do. I'm sure you'd be able to take up Further Maths in Y13, many do it at the college I'm going to in September.

I want to pick up Maths in Y13, purely because I want to see how I manage with the workload for 3 AS's before taking on a 4th.

Take a look at the entry requirements for the course(s) you want to do at Uni and take it from there. If you're still stuck, think about going to see your personal tutor or the careers advisor at your school.

:biggrin:

Thanks for the reply! What your doing is actually so logical by seeing how you can handle the subjects.
But yeah, I spoke to my teachers and they said that I should take further maths in year 12 anyway as it will be really helpful (as I'm a hopeful engineer:smile:). Looking at it know, I don't even know why I didn't choose it in the first place! Its one of the subjects that I enjoy most anyway.

What subjects do you do?
I know loads of people who have 3 Alevels and 1 AS. Most colleges recommend this so students can focus on there 3A2s! I think your better of keeping with your 3 AS and yes like you said you can pick up another AS later on!
Good luck !
Reply 4
Original post by Confused.sad
I know loads of people who have 3 Alevels and 1 AS. Most colleges recommend this so students can focus on there 3A2s! I think your better of keeping with your 3 AS and yes like you said you can pick up another AS later on!
Good luck !

Thank you! Yeah.... I know what your saying, but I think I'm going to do 4 as I think I'm well capable and I might even continue FM to A2 if all goes well. Cheers for the advise though!:smile::smile::smile:
Original post by Mathesics
Thank you! Yeah.... I know what your saying, but I think I'm going to do 4 as I think I'm well capable and I might even continue FM to A2 if all goes well. Cheers for the advise though!:smile::smile::smile:

Good luck!! At the college I'm attending further maths And maths seem to be one a level so it doesn't seem like seperate a levels! So if they can do it I'm sure you can too best of luck!
Original post by Mathesics
Thanks for the reply! What your doing is actually so logical by seeing how you can handle the subjects.
But yeah, I spoke to my teachers and they said that I should take further maths in year 12 anyway as it will be really helpful (as I'm a hopeful engineer:smile:). Looking at it know, I don't even know why I didn't choose it in the first place! Its one of the subjects that I enjoy most anyway.

What subjects do you do?

I'm taking biology, chemistry and physics :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest