The Student Room Group

Job for 14 year olds

I am 14 turning 15 in november and i want to find out if i could get a job obviously that has right standards for my age,
in Scontland,Edinburgh.
Reply 1
Original post by x1angelika1x
I am 14 turning 15 in november and i want to find out if i could get a job obviously that has right standards for my age,
in Scontland,Edinburgh.

As you are classified as a children there are some limitations for you to work.It says that since you are 14 you should not;

Before 7am or after 7pm on a school day;
For more than 2 hours on a school day (this can either be 1 hour before and after school or 2 hours after school);
For more than 12 hours in a school week;
For more than 5 hours on a Saturday or a week- day during the school holidays;
For more than 2 hours on any Sunday;
For more than 25 hours in any week during the school holidays;
For more than 4 hours in any day without a rest break of one hour.
A child must also have at least 2 consecutive non-school weeks without employment in any one year. That means every child is entitled to 2 weeks holiday a year.

The limitations changes slightly for the 15-16 years old,
Before 7am or after 7pm on a school day;
For more than 2 hours on a school day (this can either be 1 hour before and after school or 2 hours after school);
For more than 12 hours in a school week;
For more than 5 hours on a Saturday or a weekday during the school holidays; For more than 2 hours on any Sunday;
For more than 25 hours in any week during the school holidays;
For more than 4 hours in any day without a rest break of one hour.
A child must also have at least 2 consecutive non-school weeks without employment in any one year. That means every child is entitled to 2 weeks holiday a year.

And I picked some great info from the previous posts of TSR,

1) There isnt a Minimum wage for 15 year olds, so theoretically they can pay you whatever they like. (But the users say It is about 3,5-4,5 pound per hour.

2) if u want to work when you are under 16 you need to get an employment liscence form from your school or local concil then your school, parents and the company you are going to work for has to sign it then its sent off and you have to wait to see if u get a liscence.

It might be a little bit difficult : " I am currently 14 years old but i am going to start working when i am 15 if i can get a job that is. I have been trying to find a job for ages there are lots of jobs where i stay (Livingston, Scotland) but none of them will take me on."

For job options you can do any work If you are doing the requirements but they are not obliged to pay you the minimum wage.

From Yahoo Answers : A paper round or baby sitting is your best bet, its highly unlikely a store will tkae you on, and if they did, which would be very rare, you would recieve under the minimum wage because they cant give that to you until you're 16 or older, so you'll be earning very little.
Unfortunately the only way you can get a job at 14/15 is if you know someone in the right places, as soon as an employer knows your under 16, that's it... Even when I was 15 I applied for at least 6-7 jobs a week with no luck, sometimes I wouldn't eve get an E-mail/call to say I was un-successful, even now at 16 most of the job's I have applied for have been failures, just make sure as soon as you turn 16 you apply for every job the matches your criteria. i.e; Age, don't apply for jobs you know have an upper age limit like 18 or 21, experience, if the job description says it requires a certain level of experience that you don't have then obviously don't apply, distance, you might have fount the perfect job that pays (for example) £5 p/h if it is more than 10 miles away it is probably certain you will spend a good percentage of your wage on travel, also if they ask you how you'll get to work and you live 10+ miles away and reply with 'public transport' they'll be thinking that you could be un-reliable when weather conditions get harsh. This all may sound very simple but a lot of people will also be applying for the jobs you will and it just saves you time as most of the online applications will take 40 minutes to 1 hour to complete. Just be patient, if you have 5 A*-C's, and can present yourself well in your CV and interview you WILL get a job.
As others have said, there are limitations on what you can do.
But you could try getting a paper round, or doing waitressing.
Baby sitting seems like a good option

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest