The Student Room Group

Girls that listen to heavy metal

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
Hi im a 16 year old girl that listens to mostly heavy metal and rock, my friends think im weird and boys seem to think im weird because i listen to music like that and not a lot of girls do. I dont dress like a 'metal head' or an 'emo' so no one knows that i listen to that kind of music but i dont feel confident telling people becasue of what they think and there reactions :frown:

don't listen to what people say or care what they think! I too am a metal/rock-fan and don't dress stereotypically, but I wouldn't change what I listen to or hide it because - its awesomeeeee and I am proud of it :h:

Original post by moonkatt
People will always comment no matter what if they think someone's different. The metal scene is alive and kicking and has stood the test of time. Some of the best nights out here in Brum are the rocker clubs. You'll meet like minded people at some point.

where in Birmingham is good? I am at university there and did join the uni Rock society for a while, but never went along to any of their night outs as I felt a bit like an odd-ball :tongue: so I don't actually know of any good rock bars...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Mally-xo
where in Birmingham is good? I am at university there and did join the uni Rock society for a while, but never went along to any of their night outs as I felt a bit like an odd-ball :tongue: so I don't actually know of any good rock bars...

Scruffy Murphy's is one thats been around for years, it's down by the crown courts, The Flapper and Firkin is another one down by the canals round the back of the convention centre. There's loads of other places, but I don't really go out anymore (having a child does that to you), it's quite a lively scene.
Reply 22
could you give music examples of what you listen to, I like rock as well and people are often surprised because for some reason because I am very shy I don't seem the type.
Reply 23
Original post by Get_Lucky_606
True, more people need to think like this! What kind of metal/bands do you like out of interest ?

Sorry! i didn't see you replied.
well ive been through several phases.
The arch enemy, nightwish, some german/swedish metal/screamo mixed in there stage.
Then the foo fighters and less metal more rock stage.
but im now in the pretty much everything that doesnt sound like a rave caught on fire and nicki whats her face screaming about bitches having STI's
so mainly:
Theory of a deadman, pretty reckless, you ne at six, framing hanley and some poppy stuff like bastille and ed sheeran :smile: it depends on my mood alot and what im doing :smile:
The few bands I listen to are rock and metal, and I get the same type of criticism from my peers. All you can do is ignore their remarks. If they think you are any worse of a person for listening to a specific genre of music, they are closed-minded people.

By the way, what bands do you listen to? :smile:

I mostly listen to My Chemical Romance, Pierce the Veil, and some Dragonforce, but only one album or a song by Escape the Fate and The Devil Wears Prada.

Have a nice day!
Original post by H@nnah.
Sorry! i didn't see you replied.
well ive been through several phases.
The arch enemy, nightwish, some german/swedish metal/screamo mixed in there stage.
Then the foo fighters and less metal more rock stage.
but im now in the pretty much everything that doesnt sound like a rave caught on fire and nicki whats her face screaming about bitches having STI's
so mainly:
Theory of a deadman, pretty reckless, you ne at six, framing hanley and some poppy stuff like bastille and ed sheeran :smile: it depends on my mood alot and what im doing :smile:

That's some cool stuff, yeah kinda similar here I have heavier/preferring more poppy stuff phases as well. And yeah Nick Minaj makes me want to be sick! haha
I am one of Uks most knowledgeable females on Scandanavian Power metal. I even used to do promotions for the fan forums for a Finnish metal band :smile:
I think the more open you are about your tastes the more the other metal heads will come out of the woodwork. I love metal too. Moshing is my favourite thing to do. :smile:
I had the same experience when I was younger as people were less open minded but it all changed when I got into college and then it was never an issue. In fact it helped me make more friends because when you're exposed to more people you're bound to find others with similar interests. On the first day I had a guy run up to me purely because I was wearing a sylosis hoodie ^^
Reply 29
Original post by Powersymphonia
I am one of Uks most knowledgeable females on Scandanavian Power metal. I even used to do promotions for the fan forums for a Finnish metal band :smile:

What band?...Listen to quite a lot of Scandinavian folk/power metal...

OT: People at school are usually sheep/are unwilling to admit that they're not for fear of social 'excommunication'...You'll meet a lot of hard rock/metal lovers, especially as you get a little older - something to look forward to!
You'll probably also find a lot of self-proclaimed "metalheads" who act in a derogatory manner towards less 'mainstream' sub-genres though...so it's all swings and roundabouts!
Reply 30
Girls who listen to heavy metal and rock are pretty awesome!

<3 x
Whilst I don't listen to ALL metal, or it all being super heavy (My favourite band is McFly...you get it), I get where you're coming from. I used to have to drag my friends by the ears to go to gigs with me, and they'd look at me like I'd just asked them to give themselves HIV if we sat down to listen to it. HOWEVER, as you get older, you meet so many other people, and some of them will share interests with you :biggrin: and just look at this board!

Be proud of who you are, and be yourself! There's no one better.
Reply 32
Just enjoy the music you like. Not everyone gets it.

I went through a very metal phase when I was 16-17. I still love prog/atmospheric rock. Though right now I'm going through a very funky playlist on YouTube. http://youtu.be/imYJpr09IgQ I mean daaaaaayum.
Reply 33
Original post by Ronove
Just enjoy the music you like. Not everyone gets it.

I went through a very metal phase when I was 16-17. I still love prog/atmospheric rock. Though right now I'm going through a very funky playlist on YouTube. http://youtu.be/imYJpr09IgQ I mean daaaaaayum.

If you're on Spotify: (Just put it in the search bar)
spotify:user:thr33:tongue:laylist:0PGCOZUcTc7EfoYtoqVXwp
Nice and laid back playlist I made during revision. Check out the band "Tower of Power" too. :biggrin:

Needless to say, I have a pretty varied music taste...
Reply 34
Original post by Thr33
If you're on Spotify: (Just put it in the search bar)
spotify:user:thr33:tongue:laylist:0PGCOZUcTc7EfoYtoqVXwp
Nice and laid back playlist I made during revision. Check out the band "Tower of Power" too. :biggrin:

Needless to say, I have a pretty varied music taste...

I may have to acquire a spotify account.

I played alto sax for much of highschool so I have heard of Tower of Power. :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by Ronove
I may have to acquire a spotify account.

I played alto sax for much of highschool so I have heard of Tower of Power. :biggrin:

Ooh - similar position, discovered What is Hip/You're still a young man as I play the trumpet + did it with my school Jazzband...
Spotify is awesome :smile: - I havn't paid for any music for years, and my student card means I pay a grand total of 30£ a year for unlimited music...only issue is internet required - offline playing is 60£ a year...
The free service is decent as well, as you can make multiple accounts to get round the 10 hour limit...though the ads may drive you insane!
I listen to hard rock/ some metal and if anything guys I've spoken to seem to find it cool that I don't listen to Katy Perry and Beyonce haha :smile:

You're obviously in with a bunch of immature kids. I have friends with all KINDS of musical tastes. In fact one of my best friends listens to music I wouldn't in a million years listen to.
Reply 37
High five!!! I listen to hard metal too
Oh and have a a love death music

Whatever your so-called friends say, best solution is....IGNORE THEM!!!
Listen to those awesome screams and tune up the volume to show them how different you are!
Different is good.....
this music pumps your energy unlike the classical

So enjoy and scream your heart out!!!!
Reply 38
Original post by Hellcat12
High five!!! I listen to hard metal too
Oh and have a a love death music

Whatever your so-called friends say, best solution is....IGNORE THEM!!!
Listen to those awesome screams and tune up the volume to show them how different you are!
Different is good.....
this music pumps your energy unlike the classical

So enjoy and scream your heart out!!!!

I would say it's pretty common for metal/rock-lovers to appreciate classical very much as well. I very much doubt the friends that are judging the OP's taste in music are listening to classical themselves.
Reply 39
I got into metal when i was really young and everyone assumed that i just listened to what my parents liked which irritates the hell out of me (my mum likes dubstep anyway). I find now i'm older people actually respect the fact that i have Slayer on my iPod rather than Miley Cyrus. It gets better with time, when people are less concerned about fitting in and appreciate individuality :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending