The Student Room Group

One Year A Level courses

Basically, I made two poor AS Level choices at the beginning of this year (Maths and Chemistry) and this year really has been an academic struggle for me. However my sixth form offers one year A level courses that would allow me to drop two of my AS level subjects.
So I've signed up to complete an English Language A Level in one year and I was just wondering if anyone who has done/is doing this a level would be able to tell me a bit about the course and do you think it is possible to get good grade (A/B) in this a level if I am only spending one year completing it.

Also, does anyone have any idea how my college are planning on giving me a predicted grade?

Thanks, any help is appreciated
English Language isn't that hard to keep up with. Depends on what examination board you'll be under.

I think it's possible to achieve a sensible, reasonable grade. But to get an A is quite ambitious, if you mean doing the whole AS and A2 level within 9 months, is going to be so strenuous and demanding to not just you, but to anyone who is willing to put themselves through that aha.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Cool_JordH
English Language isn't that hard to keep up with. Depends on what examination board you'll be under.

I think it's possible to achieve a sensible, reasonable grade. But to get an A is quite ambitious, if you mean doing the whole AS and A2 level within 9 months, is going to be so strenuous and demanding to not just you, but to anyone who is willing to put themselves through that aha.

Good luck!

Would you recommend going for a different course instead? My college also offers a Philosophy & Religion course that may be slightly easier to handle in one year?
Only a lot of the universities I have been looking at ask for AAA-AAB :/
Original post by 12345student
Would you recommend going for a different course instead? My college also offers a Philosophy & Religion course that may be slightly easier to handle in one year?
Only a lot of the universities I have been looking at ask for AAA-AAB :/

Well I also do Philosophy and Ethics, but I don't know about "Philosophy & Religion". If it's the same as my on which is OCR, then I should really dissuade you from doing that within a whole year. It's one of the most complicated A-levels you could encounter. My friend who got all A*s and As at GCSE and got AAAB in AS (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography (B) ) and she's predicted all As in her A2 year. And I showed her my book for The Ontological Argument which doesn't require previous knowledge to be understood and she found it really hard to grasp, coming from an straight-A student!!
I found it so hard, it was my difficult subject out of English Lit, English Lang and History. It's hard dependent on who you study. Some philosophers and moralists are harder than others, because their concept and principles have been around for literally centuries and nothing from this day has come to surpass it.

So if I had to pick out of English Language and (OCR) Philosophy & Ethics, I say pick English Language. Also, you will do coursework in English, whatever the exam board so that should be some conciliation to you. But by no means should you want to take Philosophy if you cannot handle it. It's 100% exam and because at A2, you don't study any philosopher you studied at AS, it becomes harder because it's learning it all over again, but at a higher standard. Whereas English Lang, you learn lots of things at AS and you can apply the knowledge and skills to your A2 studies.
Reply 4
Original post by Cool_JordH
Well I also do Philosophy and Ethics, but I don't know about "Philosophy & Religion". If it's the same as my on which is OCR, then I should really dissuade you from doing that within a whole year. It's one of the most complicated A-levels you could encounter. My friend who got all A*s and As at GCSE and got AAAB in AS (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography (B) ) and she's predicted all As in her A2 year. And I showed her my book for The Ontological Argument which doesn't require previous knowledge to be understood and she found it really hard to grasp, coming from an straight-A student!!
I found it so hard, it was my difficult subject out of English Lit, English Lang and History. It's hard dependent on who you study. Some philosophers and moralists are harder than others, because their concept and principles have been around for literally centuries and nothing from this day has come to surpass it.

So if I had to pick out of English Language and (OCR) Philosophy & Ethics, I say pick English Language. Also, you will do coursework in English, whatever the exam board so that should be some conciliation to you. But by no means should you want to take Philosophy if you cannot handle it. It's 100% exam and because at A2, you don't study any philosopher you studied at AS, it becomes harder because it's learning it all over again, but at a higher standard. Whereas English Lang, you learn lots of things at AS and you can apply the knowledge and skills to your A2 studies.

Okay, thanks for the advice. Considering I'm thinking of doing English at uni, English Language may be a better option anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending