The Student Room Group

Feeling REALLY down about finishing Year 1 of uni

Hi everyone :smile:

I've just finished my first year of uni, and I have quite literally had the most amazing time ever. I've passed the year doing my dream course, at a uni I've loved for ages, made so many new friends, formed some absolutely amazing memories, and got the most amazing partner, all within my first year.

I'm not normally the emotional kind, but leaving halls has really hit me hard. Next year I'll be moving into a small house with 3 friends, roughly 40 minutes walk away from campus and an hour's walk away from my boyfriend's house next year (as opposed to being down the corridor at halls) and I know that my course is going to be much more hard work. Plus my boyfriend lives quite a while away from me when at home and will be working for most of the summer holidays. I have some lovely friends back here at home, but I can't help but feel like I'm almost mourning over the year that's just gone. I would give anything to do it all again, and it really really upsets me that I'll never get it back.

Is anyone else feeling like this, or has felt like this?

Thanks x
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by britchick
Hi everyone :smile:

I've just finished my first year of uni, and I have quite literally had the most amazing time ever. I've passed the year doing my dream course, at a uni I've loved for ages, made so many new friends, formed some absolutely amazing memories, and got the most amazing partner, all within my first year.

I'm not normally the emotional kind, but leaving halls has really hit me hard. Next year I'll be moving into a small house with 3 friends, roughly 40 minutes walk away from campus and an hour's walk away from my boyfriend's house next year (as opposed to being down the corridor at halls) and I know that my course is going to be much more hard work. Plus my boyfriend lives quite a while away from me when at home and will be working for most of the summer holidays. I have some lovely friends back here at home, but I can't help but feel like I'm almost mourning over the year that's just gone. I would give anything to do it all again, and it really really upsets me that I'll never get it back.

Is anyone else feeling like this, or has felt like this?

Thanks x

Moving on from first year is hard, it's yet another step towards independence, having to sort out bills and factor commuting into your daily schedule. But you will quickly adjust, and that will become the norm.

I'm sure that you and your boyfriend will be able to come to some arrangement next year - surely you'll be able to see each other on campus?
Reply 2
I've got to admit, I'm not normally one for getting all that attached to people or emotional, but I felt rather down for a good few weeks at the end of 1st year. It took getting into a 60 hour working week to set me straight again. 9 months of having fun, living with each other all with that added bit of independence, it's going to be tough to leave. But I look at it this way, I felt a little down leaving 6th form and I was very nervous starting Uni, and it turned out to be a great experience. I imagine within 2 weeks of 2nd year I'll be enjoying it just as much as 1st year, even if it is a different experience :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending