The Student Room Group

Career as a hair and makeup artist

Hi everyone,
I have a place at university for September to study Law. However, I've had a TOTAL change of heart and have decided that instead, I would like to become a hair and makeup artist. However, I know absolutely nothing about this industry what so ever. If anyone could answer these questions then that would be great:

How would I become a qualified hair and makeup artist? Would I have to go right back to doing a level 2 or 3 qualification in H&B?!
How hard is it to work your way up in this career? It's not something that I would be interested in doing on a lower level (proms, weddings etc) but would prefer to work with TV shows, as a celebrity makeup artist etc.
Would I have to be naturally 'arty'? As I really do love makeup and experimenting but I cannot draw/paint to save my life.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Reply 2
Reply 3
Hi London_

You are better off getting a course under your belt, but it is not always necessary if you get on a training programme or assist a make-up artist.

It is a very hard career to make it to the top as it is very competitive. However with hard work and dedication you will rise to the top.

It is a pity that you consider Proms and Weddings a lower level, as this can be a very rewarding aspect of the job, especially while you get established. It takes a while to become a television, celebrity make-up artist, so you can do this kind of work in the meantime.

It definitely helps if you are arty, especially for film and television make-up, because you will have to create characters, it often helps if you can show directors what you are thinking before hand by sketching it out.

You can check out this article about how to become a make-up artist here:
http://www.emmafarrellmakeup.com/how-to-become-a-makeup-artist/

Let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best

Emma

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending