The Student Room Group

Special Circumstances Help

Basically, my grandmother had a heart attack at the very start of my exams, and we were told that she could have either a stroke or another heart attack at any time, and she died a couple of days ago (my exams had already been finished for a week). This completely threw me; I wasn't able to concentrate, I couldn't sleep, I felt sick and I just generally did not feel up to doing my exams.

I wrote in a couple of letters saying what was happening to my exams officer, and she said that she thought I had an almost certain chance of getting special circumstances. However, I really don't think that the 3% extra or whatever I'm going to get accurately reflects the effect the whole ordeal had on me.

My question is: should I contact my first choice university myself and tell them what happened? I understand that my choices will be told that I received special consideration, but I don't know if that's all they get told (for example, I think that I was affected far worse than someone who was sick for one exam (all but one of my exams were taken in the knowledge that my grandmother was about to die)).

I was predicted AAA and had abb from AS (I need ABB to get my first choice), and I know that I've bombed these exams, and I'm not sure what to do.
The Exam Boards are able to apply the 'exceptional circumstances' leniency, The Unis will not apply it a second time. There is nothing to stop you contacting the Unis but it may not make any difference.

My younger brother's best friend died in a car crash just as he took his exams - he missed his Offers by a wide margin and neither Uni would take him. He did retakes and went to Uni the following year. He now says the year out was a good thing - it helped him sort his head out properly in the extra year.

Sometimes life deals us a rough hand and there arent easy 'solutions' to the consequences. It seems 'unfair' but sometimes life will be like that. Make sure your school/college does inform the Exam Boards. Then all you can do is wait to Results Day. If you are unsuccessful, dont panic. Retakes and reapplying might be the best solution for you too.
Reply 2
Original post by mathieuh
Basically, my grandmother had a heart attack at the very start of my exams, and we were told that she could have either a stroke or another heart attack at any time, and she died a couple of days ago (my exams had already been finished for a week). This completely threw me; I wasn't able to concentrate, I couldn't sleep, I felt sick and I just generally did not feel up to doing my exams.

I wrote in a couple of letters saying what was happening to my exams officer, and she said that she thought I had an almost certain chance of getting special circumstances. However, I really don't think that the 3% extra or whatever I'm going to get accurately reflects the effect the whole ordeal had on me.

My question is: should I contact my first choice university myself and tell them what happened? I understand that my choices will be told that I received special consideration, but I don't know if that's all they get told (for example, I think that I was affected far worse than someone who was sick for one exam (all but one of my exams were taken in the knowledge that my grandmother was about to die)).

I was predicted AAA and had abb from AS (I need ABB to get my first choice), and I know that I've bombed these exams, and I'm not sure what to do.

Unfortunately there seems to be nothing you can do. At least you have the 3% although it is not much. You can plead with the university on Results Day and they may let you in regardless, but it is completely at their discretion and based on other factors too e.g. how many others missed their offers, how sympathetic the tutor is etc.
Reply 3
Update for anyone who finds this thread and might be in the same situation:

I sent my firm (Lancaster (course is comp sci)) an email regarding the situation, and they were great about it. They sent me a letter asking me to send them 'any relevant documents', so I sent them the original of my grand mother's death certificate. A week later, I got a reply telling me to rest assured that they would take extenuating circumstances into account in the event that I did not meet my offer.

So, if anyone's in a similar situation to me, make sure you contact your choices!
they would take extenuating circumstances into account in the event that I did not meet my offer.

However, this doesn't mean you are guaranteed a place whatever your grades look like. If you miss by a wide margin any University will probably still say No.
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
However, this doesn't mean you are guaranteed a place whatever your grades look like. If you miss by a wide margin any University will probably still say No.

I know, obviously if I get CCC or something terrible and my offer is minimum ABB they'll say no, but still, them knowing and expecting worse grades (they said they'd put a notice on my application) is surely better than nothing.
I know, obviously if I get CCC or something terrible and my offer is minimum ABB they'll say no, but still, them knowing and expecting worse grades (they said they'd put a notice on my application) is surely better than nothing.

Good attitude. I just wanted to check you realised this.
Reply 7
Original post by returnmigrant
The Exam Boards are able to apply the 'exceptional circumstances' leniency, The Unis will not apply it a second time. There is nothing to stop you contacting the Unis but it may not make any difference.

Asking here as I'm not able to ask in the original thread, and this is somewhat relevant, but are you able to explain what you meant by universities rejecting students with mental health problems or other disabilities, or asking them to defer?
Reply 8
Original post by River85
Asking here as I'm not able to ask in the original thread, and this is somewhat relevant, but are you able to explain what you meant by universities rejecting students with mental health problems or other disabilities, or asking them to defer?

i know this is an old thread but was just wondering how extenuating circumstances/special consideration is applied in terms of poor mental health during A level exams?
Original post by kiki213
i know this is an old thread but was just wondering how extenuating circumstances/special consideration is applied in terms of poor mental health during A level exams?

If you applied for special consideration for your exams, the the exam board have to follow JCQ rules, which you can find here
https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/a-guide-to-the-special-consideration-process-2017-2018

You can be awarded up to 5% extra for each exam, but from reading through the guidance, it looks like 2-3% is more likely. This doesn't sound like a lot, but it could bump your grade up into the next category if you are close.

If you're talking about extenuating circumstances you have submitted to unis, this process is a bit more opaque. Admissions tutors will make a judgement on a case-by-case basis as to whether to let you in with your particular grades, and if they think you will cope with the course at this time.

In theory, you aren't supposed to get two lots of consideration for the same thing- so if you get special consideration from the exam board, you shouldn't also get special treatment from your uni. But lots of unis let people in anyway with missed grades, so I think it's worth letting unis know: If they have 10 people who missed their offers by 1 grade, but can only accept 5 of them, then knowing you had extenuating circumstances may be a point in your favour.
Reply 10
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If you applied for special consideration for your exams, the the exam board have to follow JCQ rules, which you can find here
https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/a-guide-to-the-special-consideration-process-2017-2018

You can be awarded up to 5% extra for each exam, but from reading through the guidance, it looks like 2-3% is more likely. This doesn't sound like a lot, but it could bump your grade up into the next category if you are close.

If you're talking about extenuating circumstances you have submitted to unis, this process is a bit more opaque. Admissions tutors will make a judgement on a case-by-case basis as to whether to let you in with your particular grades, and if they think you will cope with the course at this time.

In theory, you aren't supposed to get two lots of consideration for the same thing- so if you get special consideration from the exam board, you shouldn't also get special treatment from your uni. But lots of unis let people in anyway with missed grades, so I think it's worth letting unis know: If they have 10 people who missed their offers by 1 grade, but can only accept 5 of them, then knowing you had extenuating circumstances may be a point in your favour.

I think the most I'll get is 1-2%. I applied for special consideration by filling out a form and attaching my GP's letter explaining my situation and passed it onto my peer mentor. I think most unis will let students in if they miss by 1-2 grades at most (regardless of extenuating circumstances) if other students have also under performed or if the course isn't full.

If I've been rejected could I appeal / apply for a re-mark on the basis that I felt my papers were marked incorrectly? There's more info here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5500122#primary_content
or just retake the exams next year?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by kiki213
I think the most I'll get is 1-2%. I applied for special consideration by filling out a form and attaching my GP's letter explaining my situation and passed it onto my peer mentor. I think most unis will let students in if they miss by 1-2 grades at most (regardless of extenuating circumstances) if other students have also under performed or if the course isn't full.

If I've been rejected could I appeal / apply for a re-mark on the basis that I felt my papers were marked incorrectly? There's more info here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5500122#primary_content
or just retake the exams next year?
Thank you :smile:

You can go for a remark, but I think things have recently changed, so that your grade is less likely to change on a remark than it did in the past @Lemur14 knows a bit more about this than I do. Getting remarks isn't cheap, but your school may pay anyway if they think there's a mistake or you're v. close to a grade boundary.

If you go for a remark- you need to make sure it is a priority remark (so it comes back before August 31st) and you need to contact your firm choice (and insurance if applicable) on results day to ask them to hold your offer for you while you get remarks. If your remark means you meet your offer, you should still get your place but your uni is not 100% obliged to honour it- some may offer deferred places instead. If your uni won't offer you anything at all, contact UCAS and they may be able to help.

And if the remark doesn't work, retaking is not necessarily a bad thing! I went to uni at 20, and still had loads of fun- going at 19 is great, and if you're only retaking 1 or 2 subjects you may be able to get a part time job and save a bit of money too.

There are loads of options open to you even if things aren't quite what you hope on results day :h:
Reply 12
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You can go for a remark, but I think things have recently changed, so that your grade is less likely to change on a remark than it did in the past @Lemur14 knows a bit more about this than I do. Getting remarks isn't cheap, but your school may pay anyway if they think there's a mistake or you're v. close to a grade boundary.

If you go for a remark- you need to make sure it is a priority remark (so it comes back before August 31st) and you need to contact your firm choice (and insurance if applicable) on results day to ask them to hold your offer for you while you get remarks. If your remark means you meet your offer, you should still get your place but your uni is not 100% obliged to honour it- some may offer deferred places instead. If your uni won't offer you anything at all, contact UCAS and they may be able to help.

And if the remark doesn't work, retaking is not necessarily a bad thing! I went to uni at 20, and still had loads of fun- going at 19 is great, and if you're only retaking 1 or 2 subjects you may be able to get a part time job and save a bit of money too.

There are loads of options open to you even if things aren't quite what you hope on results day :h:

Thank you, yes I'm probably going to retake and reapply instead. Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by kiki213
Thank you, yes I'm probably going to retake and reapply instead. Thank you so much! :smile:

No worries.

Good luck for results day though!
I can ask for an extra 5%, damn, I'm following this up with Durham in September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending