The Student Room Group

Feminists anger over bank notes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ironandwine
On a side note, how have you never heard of Vivienne Westwood? :smile:

And I've heard of 9 or 10 of them, though through my own research not academic purposes. Perhaps there's a flaw in education.

It's also not the fact that that a woman's being replaced, it's the fact that there will be NO women on the banknotes now. And if I'm right in thinking, there's only ever been two of them since this whole historical figure thing on notes started anyway.

Why does that matter?

Imagine explaining to a daughter or any young woman, "I've never seen a woman on a banknote before, why?"

"Oh well that's because women aren't important enough dear."

I think everyone up in arms about it is conveniently overlooking this:

Jane Austen £10 note

and a quote from Sir M King:

Let me assure that there is no imminent demise of Elizabeth Fry on our banknotes and I think it is extremely unlikely that we will ever find ourselves with no women on our banknotes

The change is from 2016, it's not going to happen immediately - plus there will be a few years concurrent circulation - more than enough time for the new £10 to enter.

and RE Viv Westwood - I've heard the name but couldn't say for sure what she did - and having googled her I wish I hadn't - MY EYES ARE BURNING!!
Reply 261
Original post by ironandwine
I'm not too sure why you've quoted me, but it's not the fact that Churchill is going onto the notes, I think anyone will agree he's achieved a lot. It could be any male and there would still be this uproar that there are going to be no females left to feature on a note.

I never mentioned Emmeline Pankhurst so I'm going to assume you're not talking to me about that point.

Though I was never her biggest fan, Thatcher would be a good candidate since she was the first female PM, but obviously, like you said, it would probably cause even more uproar.

As far as I can see, all are currently English bar two who are Scottish, but I don't really see how that's an important issue? Even though we have different banknotes etc, we're still all part of the UK. I think a more striking progression, as well as including females, would be to have a black or asian Briton on our banknotes.

How about picking people on merit rather then gender? Its people like you that scream and shout for positive discrimination and quotas that just make me think that feminism is a pathetic movement
Reply 262
Just another strawman argument. This isn't even worth getting annoyed at, it's just funny at how pathetically sad it is.
Reply 263
They are talking about putting a woman on the £10. So it's a bit of a nul debate really.
Original post by manderton
I think everyone up in arms about it is conveniently overlooking this:

Jane Austen £10 note

and a quote from Sir M King:

The change is from 2016, it's not going to happen immediately - plus there will be a few years concurrent circulation - more than enough time for the new £10 to enter.

and RE Viv Westwood - I've heard the name but couldn't say for sure what she did - and having googled her I wish I hadn't - MY EYES ARE BURNING!!

I am an avid believer in evolution. How can this disgrace be allowed? To have such a pioneer in evolution be replaced! What kind of message does that send out?

Quick Reply

Latest