The Student Room Group

French and German films?

Hi all,
Could you recommend some French and German films for me to watch over the summer?
I'm at GCSE level in both and love all genres.
Merci / danke!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Die welle
Goodbye Lenin
The Lives of others

Amelie
Coco avant Chanel

Posted from TSR Mobile
German: Lola rennt

French: A Cat in Paris
All German:
Die Welle
Lola Rennt
Goodbye Lenin!
Das Leben der Anderen
Die Fetten Jahren sind Vorbei (The Edukators)
Der Baader Meinhof Komplex
Das Experiment
Das Boot
If you join Netflix (free 1 month membership) they have quite a good selection of both.

Otherwise I would recommend Die Fetten Jahren Sind Vorbei and Die Welle, they're both quite easy to follow. As for French, Amelie is a lovely film. Also The Butterfly and The Diving Bell is beautiful (very sad).
For French, I'm about to watch The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec. I will tell you whether it's any good later.
Original post by The Polymath
All German:
Die Welle
Lola Rennt
Goodbye Lenin!
Das Leben der Anderen
Die Fetten Jahren sind Vorbei (The Edukators)
Der Baader Meinhof Komplex
Das Experiment

Das Boot

I think I should point out that the emboldened ones are serious 18's, for the benefit of the thread-starter.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
French films: 8 femmes, Ma Vie en Rose, Intouchables, La Haine, Les rivieres pourpres (very gory though, I had to look away at some scenes), Micmacs...

Those are the ones I can think of from the top of my head, but I've see a lot of very good French Films so I'll come back when I can think of more.

EDIT: I've just remembered one I watched recently, LOL laughing out loud. There's a terribly disgusting American remake starring Miley Cyrus, but the original is pretty good for a teen film.
(edited 10 years ago)
A Very Long Engagement is really nice French film, it's quite sad in some places though :frown:
Reply 8
La Haine..
Reply 9
Have to echo suggestions of Die Welle and Das Leben der Anderen. Amazing films.

Also Die Wolke... about a girl's experience of life after a nuclear disaster.
Reply 10
Amelie, always.
La Haine
La Vie en Rose
Les Intouchables is absolutely brilliant
L'arnacoeur is good for a bit of comedy
Asterix et Obelix
A Town Called Panic. It's a stop-motion animation and quite light on the complex language if you're ever feeling lazy but still motivated to watch something in French. It's also brilliantly done and very amusing.
Well, just going back to the old classics... M is quite a good German film and pretty influential (it's by Fritz Lang and about a child murderer). I'm watching Metropolis and can't get into it, studying it for my A2's a bit of a drag. Also, Fear eats the Soul isn't bad either... tis about a Turkish immigrant marrying a middle-aged woman and the prejudices of society as a result.
Jeux d'enfants is a good one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
German:
Almanya
Vincent will Meer
Goodbye Lenin
Die Welle
Das Leben der Anderen
Lola Rennt
Die Fetten jahren sind vorbei
Kebab connection
Knallhart
Das Wunder von Bern
Sophie Scholl
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by SaFa1237
German:
Almanya
Vincent will Meer
Goodbye Lenin
Die Welle
Das Leben der Anderen
Lola Rennt
Die Fetten jahren sind vorbei
Kebab connection
Knallhart
Das Wunder von Bern
Sophie Scholl

These are all really good but some more German language films I've watched:
Das letzte Schweigen
Yella
Das weiße Band

and German soaps or sitcoms like 'Verbotene Liebe' are a bit more fun since most of the films are fairly depressing
Reply 16
La Haine - A day in the life of three people who live in the banlieue, very famous in French folklore
Amelie - Classic
Le diner des cons - Comedy - very, very funny - stupid comedy, simple and great for your French
Taxi - A trilogy of action movies about a taxi driver, great

Apart from that try and get into watching French TV shows (invest a few minutes googling). Also, search your English DVD collection and see which ones offer French and German as audio or at least subtitles.

Remember that subtitles aren't exact translations, due to the fact that they have to account for how many words a viewer can read per second (amongst other limiting factors)

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Myself
For French, I'm about to watch The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec. I will tell you whether it's any good later.I actually thought it was.

It's available through Lovefilm, including Lovefilm Instant streaming.

Other German films I've watched include North Face (German title is Nordwand, I think). Based on true events of a mountaineering accident. Not light watching. I saw that on Lovefilm, too.

I also have a film adaptation of Minna von Barnhelm (famous German play) and a copy of Lotte in Weimar.
Just a few French films that haven't been mentioned so far:

Jean de Florette & Manon des Sources (2 films in series)
Les Choristes
Au revoir les enfants
Il y a longtemps que je t'aime
Cyrano de Bergerac

And do try the Tintin dessins animés - wonderful and easy to follow.

By the way, the French title of "La vie en rose" is La Môme if you want to get it from a French distributor.
Saw in the post above about "Yella", it's quite good but a little depressing. For a few typical romcoms if that's your thing (definitely mine!), then there's Keinohrhasen and Barfuss (both Til Schweiger films). However, there are plenty of German tv shows out there, Verliebt in Berlin (german version of ugly betty), verbotene liebe, sturm der liebe (which is a telenovela but still not a bad show), and there's also DasErste.de whose "mediathek" section for films and tv shows have subtitles (albeit in german which is still better than nothing in my opinion)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending