I'm starting a telesales/call centre job in a few weeks, what should I expect?

Watch
RaineFalls
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Helloo!

Basically, I recently attended an interview and managed to get a job in telesales in an office-based environment selling boiler insurance.

Has anyone else worked in telesales or in a call centre environment before?

If so, what should I expect and how should I prepare?

Thank you!
danny111
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Be ready for abuse/ridicule. Fair to say at some point you will encounter an enraged customer.
pmc:producer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Booooooring. But congratulations nevertheless
socialnoob
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've worked in a call centre before. They aren't the best places to work but you can make good money if your good and they are a excellent stepping stone to better things.

I started in a call centre a few years back selling home phone and broadband packages then eventually moved into b2b sales which was far more lucrative and fun and now I'm a recruitment consultant. All of this would not have been possible if I didn't start working at a call centre. You will learn a lot about how to sell.

There will be a lot of pressure to hit targets just keep your head in check at all times don't let yourself get down at rejection. Be super confident almost to a
point of self delusion and you'll see the positive results in your paycheck!

Another good point to mention is go to the top sellers in your office and observe them. Listen to them and learn what they say and as a result you too will become a top seller.

Hope that helps. If you need any more advice feel free to PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gillybop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you like selling stuff, and like the threat of being managed out if you don't sell stuff, then sales are for you. I went from working in a non sales role in a call centre to a senior financial consultant, which is heavily sales based, earning 50-60k a year.

However I personally believe that you have a limited life for sales, after 6 years, I've came to the end of mine, so that's why I'm going to uni for a change of direction and quit my job when I start uni.

be prepared for hard hard work, and good luck.
socialnoob
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Gillybop)
If you like selling stuff, and like the threat of being managed out if you don't sell stuff, then sales are for you. I went from working in a non sales role in a call centre to a senior financial consultant, which is heavily sales based, earning 50-60k a year.

However I personally believe that you have a limited life for sales, after 6 years, I've came to the end of mine, so that's why I'm going to uni for a change of direction and quit my job when I start uni.

be prepared for hard hard work, and good luck.
It would be interesting to hear your full story mate. Care to share?

Posted from TSR Mobile
sabian92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Abuse daily, personal insults and a lot of people with accents you can't understand.

Source: fiancee and her mother both work in an Argos call centre.
Genocidal
Badges: 19
Report 8 years ago
One of the worst jobs in Britain. Remember, your manager will hate you if you don't hit targets. The people you're calling hate you for bothering them. And if you're successful at it the chances are the people at the bottom will also hate you.
TheRiskyOne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The way I see it:

A job, is a good job for now. Be grateful that you have the opportunity to work, there's thousands complaining for any job.

On the other hand, I've also worked in a call centre sort of environment, and it definitely isn't one of the best, you can end up speaking to some amazing people who are open, but some will be mugs, mostly mugs, sorry, but I didn't know how to rude some people can be since they're hiding behind a phone and use it as an excuse to be hardcore.

Other than that, be happy, it can be contagious
JulietheCat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Expect to be soundboard pranked on the phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gillybop
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by socialnoob)
It would be interesting to hear your full story mate. Care to share?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, I'm 33, so I have done a few things lol.

I actually left school the second I turned 16 as I got offered an apprenticeship with a company that fitted Lightning protection and Earthing systems, it was a bit like a steeplejack, only slightly more technical. I don't that for 8 years, got sick of the constant working away (nowhere glamorous, Elgin, Aberdeen etc...) I got a job in a call centre, Clydesdale bank based just outside Glasgow, don't that for a bout a year and saved up to go traveling the entire time.

i left to go traveling, China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Singapore, Hing Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, Africa, got the trans Siberian railway.......all in all I was away for 2 years and spent the whole time in Thailand out my tree on shroom shakes and got an arm full of tattoos.

came back to Scotland and took the first job I could get, which was in a call centre for Abbey National (now Santander) in telephone banking......which is pretty gruelling, as soon as one person hangs up, another appears in your ear. So I started to look into what I could do to progress, and the IFS provided me with the route to attaining the relevant qualifications to become a regulated person, The CertFA and DipFa respectively.

I passed a few of them, applied for a job working for financial advisors in a support capacity, completed the rest of the required exams and applied for a job as a Financial Avisor for a retail bank, and done very well out of it. I then moved to a senior role (higher net worth customers, IHT and annuity planning etc etc) which is where I am now......if it wasn't for the sales aspect I would love the work, great pay, nice car, completely autonomous working style, and senior position, but add in the sales and the 79 hours a week and it isn't so sweet.

From making 13k basic with abbey to 48k basic took me about 5 years.
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Watch 'The Call Centre' on BBC 3
socialnoob
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sure, I'm 33, so I have done a few things lol.

I actually left school the second I turned 16 as I got offered an apprenticeship with a company that fitted Lightning protection and Earthing systems, it was a bit like a steeplejack, only slightly more technical. I don't that for 8 years, got sick of the constant working away (nowhere glamorous, Elgin, Aberdeen etc...) I got a job in a call centre, Clydesdale bank based just outside Glasgow, don't that for a bout a year and saved up to go traveling the entire time.

i left to go traveling, China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Singapore, Hing Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, Africa, got the trans Siberian railway.......all in all I was away for 2 years and spent the whole time in Thailand out my tree on shroom shakes and got an arm full of tattoos.

came back to Scotland and took the first job I could get, which was in a call centre for Abbey National (now Santander) in telephone banking......which is pretty gruelling, as soon as one person hangs up, another appears in your ear. So I started to look into what I could do to progress, and the IFS provided me with the route to attaining the relevant qualifications to become a regulated person, The CertFA and DipFa respectively.

I passed a few of them, applied for a job working for financial advisors in a support capacity, completed the rest of the required exams and applied for a job as a Financial Avisor for a retail bank, and done very well out of it. I then moved to a senior role (higher net worth customers, IHT and annuity planning etc etc) which is where I am now......if it wasn't for the sales aspect I would love the work, great pay, nice car, completely autonomous working style, and senior position, but add in the sales and the 79 hours a week and it isn't so sweet.

From making 13k basic with abbey to 48k basic took me about 5 years.
Wow, thanks for sharing mate! Your story is quite inspiring and I hope to be as successful as you one day pal! Whereabouts you based?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gillybop
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow, thanks for sharing mate! Your story is quite inspiring and I hope to be as successful as you one day pal! Whereabouts you based?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers. The only tip I can give is simply work that little bit harder than everyone else, make it look easy (even if it isn't) and do more industry related qualifications than everyone else and don't let anyone talk down to you, not even your manager. It works.

Based just outside Glasgow, Dumbarton.
Walkingonacloud
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Watch this http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...y_People_Sell/
Not likely to an entirely accurate description of where you work as it was voted the 2nd best place to work in Britain this year but its basically the same without company speed-dating and s*** sandwiches
Good Luck!
socialnoob
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cheers. The only tip I can give is simply work that little bit harder than everyone else, make it look easy (even if it isn't) and do more industry related qualifications than everyone else and don't let anyone talk down to you, not even your manager. It works.

Based just outside Glasgow, Dumbarton.
Thanks for the advice! Did you read any sales books that helped you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dhaden
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you phone me I'm gonna hang up
Alpha510
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Expect to be bored, tired and annoyed.

But at the end, it's a good experience.
Gillybop
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for the advice! Did you read any sales books that helped you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only ever read one, the Art of Selling by Geoff King, Read it when I got offered the job. After that I just observed the other good sales guys, and listened to everything my AM told me, as he (in his own humble words) had been the best when he was selling. However, I love reading about any Rags to Riches story, Manny Pacquiao is a hugely inspirational person.

I'm naturally a very confident person, had a fairly difficult upbringing which toughens a lad up, which is very helpful, nobody would buy of a nervous sales person.
MALL COP
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JulietheCat)
Expect to be soundboard pranked on the phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is my dream!!! I wish someone did this to me

Oh and expect your boss to spy on your phonecalls to judge your skill and also see whether your not faffing on facebook or internet surfing.

And whatever you do dont make prank calls to friends... although i got lucky once
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise