The Student Room Group

How to fund open university credit transfer

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what to do next. I've wanted to teach ever since I left school and was on track for this. However I achieved a 3rd degree at University and so automatically I became a "bad teacher" which is ridiculous but I'm not here to debate that. I knew a 3rd was inevitable about half way through my final year so I cancelled volunteering that I arranged at my old school.

Upset and depressed, I gave up on my career goal believing it was impossible to achieve with my degree class. However I have recently identified a new possible route into teaching...which would be very costly and time consuming and still might not even work. Thats why I am here to get advice. If there is even a slight chance it would get me on a PGCE I would do it no matter what.

The open university offer a credit transfer service so that you can transfer credits from previous study (up to 240) then do 120 with the OU. Therefore you can change your degree classification that way. My question is how do I fund this? I don't even know how much it costs because the credit transfer page is not clear on this

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Original post by snakeybizzle
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what to do next. I've wanted to teach ever since I left school and was on track for this. However I achieved a 3rd degree at University and so automatically I became a "bad teacher" which is ridiculous but I'm not here to debate that. I knew a 3rd was inevitable about half way through my final year so I cancelled volunteering that I arranged at my old school.

Upset and depressed, I gave up on my career goal believing it was impossible to achieve with my degree class. However I have recently identified a new possible route into teaching...which would be very costly and time consuming and still might not even work. Thats why I am here to get advice. If there is even a slight chance it would get me on a PGCE I would do it no matter what.

The open university offer a credit transfer service so that you can transfer credits from previous study (up to 240) then do 120 with the OU. Therefore you can change your degree classification that way. My question is how do I fund this? I don't even know how much it costs because the credit transfer page is not clear on this

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

I don't think it works like that. Once you have your classification that is it, unless you re-sit some modules, or re-sit your third year at the university (if they'll allow you to).

As you already have a degree you would have to self fund any new degree. And the fee's may be at the international student rate as you already have a degree. If you were to get on to the PGCE (I don't know if you can with a 3rd) then you would get funding from student finance for that one year course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending