The Student Room Group

how do you react to religious/political people knocking on your door?

As the title says, how do/would you react to various religious/political people knocking on your door?

I know many people either don't answer the door to any of them, or if they do, tell most of them to go away. But I like to have a discussion about religion/politics and they're obviously asking for it by knocking on my door. Luckily on my front door we have a spy-hole. This means that we can see who is there without them knowing we can see them (as long as we are quiet). So if its dark and noone we recognise we don't answer and if it's someone religious/political we can usually spot them and prepare what we will say to them.

I argued with a couple of jehovas witnesses once and could counter their arguements with quotes from their own religious text ! I also mentioned the issue about letting their children die due to refusal of blood transfusion and how that the parents in such cases should be prosecuted for murder. One of them looked like they might be pregnant and this hit a nerve with them ! They used to come round every few weeks, but that was the first time they dealt with me ! (this was over a year ago), they haven't been round since. I think they've black listed my house !

My boyfriends dad invites jehovas witnesses in for a drink. He's a strong atheist but knows the bible back to front so then trounces them in an arguement !

I've never actually answered the door to anyone campaigning for a political candidate yet. My mums now a councillor though, so now I'm not sure if anyone from any party would bother knocking on our door. Although if they did, I would have a good argument with the tories. Our current MP is a tory, he voted against the gay marriage bill, so I would explain how i wouldn't want to vote for someone who's homophobic. He is also useless and hasn't done much for the local area like the previous MP did.

I'd engage in a similar arguement with any UKIP person, especially if it was for a council election and not MP. Mainly because none of UKIPs main policies are anything to do with what councillors have control over, so what is the point of them standing for council seats other than to get attention !?!?!

If labour/ lib dem/ green party people knocked on my door I'd have a more friendly discussion with them, although I might end up having a bit of an arguement with the lib dems.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

jehovahs are the only ones we get round here

One mention about how i wouldnt let my child die for want of a blood transfusion soon gets them to get lost. Its doubly effective if they have a kid with them.
Listen and try not to laugh
Reply 3
I tell jehovas witnesses that I already have a god. Also my god can kick their gods arse. For political people I usually release the hounds.
Reply 4
Original post by silverbolt
jehovahs are the only ones we get round here

One mention about how i wouldnt let my child die for want of a blood transfusion soon gets them to get lost. Its doubly effective if they have a kid with them.

I think the woman I talked to was pregnant and I mentioned this. She didn't know what to say !
Reply 5
I once answered one of their visits (a preacher) while just wearing a towel; and at that time I was baking a cake by just wearing my towel too.
Didn't know they had a sense of humor :wink:
'With all due respect, you're probably knocking on the wrong door. Thanks.'
Jehovah's Witness turned up at the door
Lengthy argument about what would happen if their child needed a Blood Transfusion
They're much more subtle now, pass you a small leaflet-like thing and say 'thank you' and leave, no room for a debate :tongue:
"I do not believe in your God"

Works for both tbh.
Play the 'senility' card. If a woman (or man - that might actually be funnier) knocks the door and starts gabbling religious stuff, just stare at them, then say "Mildred? Mildred?! Is that you? I've been waiting for so long! How could you do that to me, Mildred?!" Then chase them down the driveway, waving a cane.
Reply 10
As with most unexpected callers trying to sell you something: With politeness but a stern and direct no.
'Go away'. For people on the street telling me about God - 'No'
I always answer the door. It could be someone asking for directions. If they turn out to be religious preachers, I just say 'sorry, but I'm not interested'. Done.
I remember one time some religious sorts came round and my Dad answered.

"Do you believe in God?"
"No"
"Have you read the bible"
"Yes, cover to cover"
"..."

They didn't know what to say after that. They didn't seem to understand the concept of someone not religious reading the bible.
I grind them down with questions of logic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grab a camera, run to the door and go "are you here for the adult film auditions, glad you could make it"

They go fast.
It depends on my mood really. We get quite a few political callers (my favourite was a 'spokesperson' for everyone's favourite crazy lizardman-fearing son of god David Icke, who was standing in a by-election several years ago) but they're usually quite brief, and I'll wish them luck unless they're from a silly party.

With religious canvassers, it depends how persistent they are. I'm usually polite and say no thank you, have a pleasant day, maybe even offer them a cup of tea in a plastic cup if they're elderly, but some of them keep trying so it's fun to have a little debate. I try to raise obscure objections though, whether my pigeon will go to heaven, if not why not, why is my pigeon less worthy than me, etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
They are so annoying!! :argh: I open the door thinking its a friend and then they give you a lecture on things you don't even care about. I was just revising now (home alone) and some old lady appears at the door giving out leaflets about peace in the world. (sorry for the rant )
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by sparrowhawk4
I remember one time some religious sorts came round and my Dad answered.

"Do you believe in God?"
"No"
"Have you read the bible"
"Yes, cover to cover"
"..."

They didn't know what to say after that. They didn't seem to understand the concept of someone not religious reading the bible.

I don't understand how you could read all of the bible and still want to be a christian, especially if you've done science up to gcse level at a minimum.

Original post by The Mad Dog
Grab a camera, run to the door and go "are you here for the adult film auditions, glad you could make it"

They go fast.

:rofl:

I'm dubious as to whether you've actually done that before, but it does sound hilarious. I supose if I was busy/ not in a mood to argue I could do this !
I hit on them. They love that :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest