The Student Room Group

Why am i so mentally slow and how can i speed up my reactions?

I'm just sooo stupid and im 16 and i want to be in the police force when i'm older but i can't follow orders correctly.

I just can't focus and respond right in situations and it feels i can't do them in the future. I'm dull as hell and i just can't focus for 5 secs without daydreaming.

I went airsofting yesterday and i could barely follow orders, and my friend kept telling me to listen. It's like im focusing then suddenly he says something and i miss it. I make the worst decisions under pressure.

Is there anything i can spped up my reactions and focus time?
This.

I would, before anything, have a chat with the doctor :smile:
For me I started exercising more 4-5 times a week and my reaction time sped up and I was more focused when studying and working
(do what daisydaffodil said too just to make sure, I'm sure it's nothing serious though!).

Also try to focus when working for short amounts of time with mini breaks (and with no distractions) and then build it up. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
I have the same thing but mine is due to severe sleep deprivation. Maybe you should see a GP?
Original post by Longshot700
I'm just sooo stupid and im 16 and i want to be in the police force when i'm older but i can't follow orders correctly.

I just can't focus and respond right in situations and it feels i can't do them in the future. I'm dull as hell and i just can't focus for 5 secs without daydreaming.

I went airsofting yesterday and i could barely follow orders, and my friend kept telling me to listen. It's like im focusing then suddenly he says something and i miss it. I make the worst decisions under pressure.

Pretty sad how people's first reactions are to try and establish a personality disorder right off the bat... :K:

How much sleep do you get?
Reply 5
Original post by Longshot700

Play sports, and video games. Any sort of fast paced video game which'll keep you on your toes at all time. But above all i would suggest you check yourself out with the doctors. If you don't get enough sleep, get more.

Original post by Architecture-er
Pretty sad how people's first reactions are to try and establish a personality disorder right off the bat... :K:

Well. if anyone kept day dreaming at THAT rate, then i'd be worried myself. Nobody gets distracted that easily, therefore it is logical people would think it's a disorder. I'd recommend him going to a doctor myself
Reply 6
more sleep more water and eat better (more fruit , veg , fiber ect...
you would be shocked at the diffrence it makes and too your skin too
Original post by bottled
Well. if anyone kept day dreaming at THAT rate, then i'd be worried myself. Nobody gets distracted that easily, therefore it is logical people would think it's a disorder. I'd recommend him going to a doctor myself

I'd agree that it's unusual (though I suspect that there's at least a little bit of hyperbole in there) - I just think it's an illogical progression of diagnosis, better to start with the most likely causes, and strike them off as you go :dontknow:
Reply 8
I'd agree that it's unusual (though I suspect that there's at least a little bit of hyperbole in there) - I just think it's an illogical progression of diagnosis, better to start with the most likely causes, and strike them off as you go :dontknow:

Fair enough.
Although i suppose the guy didn't really give us enough info to go on really...

Well, I had the exact same 'symptoms' and I was diagnosed with a personality disorder because of that and other things. If the kid is spacing out that much, it isn't normal, no matter how much sleep they are getting.

Quick Reply

Latest