The Student Room Group

A levels?!

I'm going into sixth form next year :biggrin: I'm taking English Lit, French and History but I don't know what to take as my fourth option. I don't really know what I want to do in terms of a career, but my favourite subjects are History and Languages. Does anybody know of a career that is based around history/language that is not translation or teaching? And could you let me know what fourth option i should take to help me pursue that career? Thanks :smile:
Hi I took English Literature, History, Biology and Maths at AS and dropped the latter for year 13. I kept a mix of arts and sciences because I didn't know what degree to do, or any career options. While having this mix kept my options open, I was way better at the two essay subjects and I dropped considerable grades in Biology and Maths. I do emphasise this is just my experience!

I'm doing a degree in History and the great thing about it is that the analytical and time management skills are sought by employers. It's good for graduate schemes and jobs that involve a lot of managment. As for languages, my sister went into managing but a lot of her friends went into teaching and one who did joint honours with two subjects works at the UN.

I recommend taking another 'essay' subject.
Original post by EloiseStar
Hi I took English Literature, History, Biology and Maths at AS and dropped the latter for year 13. I kept a mix of arts and sciences because I didn't know what degree to do, or any career options. While having this mix kept my options open, I was way better at the two essay subjects and I dropped considerable grades in Biology and Maths. I do emphasise this is just my experience!

I'm doing a degree in History and the great thing about it is that the analytical and time management skills are sought by employers. It's good for graduate schemes and jobs that involve a lot of managment. As for languages, my sister went into managing but a lot of her friends went into teaching and one who did joint honours with two subjects works at the UN.

I recommend taking another 'essay' subject.

I'll have the same A levels as you, good to know I won't be the only one with a more unusual combination :tongue:
Reply 3
Thanks, you've helped me a lot :smile:
Original post by Lucy96
I'll have the same A levels as you, good to know I won't be the only one with a more unusual combination :tongue:

As an employer, I can tell you now that those are very strong choices.
Original post by Lori-Mae
I'm going into sixth form next year :biggrin: I'm taking English Lit, French and History but I don't know what to take as my fourth option. I don't really know what I want to do in terms of a career, but my favourite subjects are History and Languages. Does anybody know of a career that is based around history/language that is not translation or teaching? And could you let me know what fourth option i should take to help me pursue that career? Thanks :smile:

Make sure you keep up with the French, multi-lingualism is on the decline in the country, so you can set yourself up with a real differentiator there when you get to your career
Reply 6
I was thinking of taking another language, German, but I don't know if that would make my options too language based?
Reply 7
What about economics as a 4th? It goes well with your other choices (although if you found you loved it and wanted to study it at university you would find it hard without Maths A level).
Reply 8

I think that very few people can actually be certain at this age as to which career path they will end up pursuing. However, most have a vague if idea of what they intend to study, if they choose to go to university. From your current subject choices, a history degree or perhaps a combined language and history degree seems a good idea. A degree such as history does not mean that you will be a historian or a teacher of history. For a fourth subject, keep your options open and take Maths (only if you are probably going to get A* at GCSE) because its... well... Maths or perhaps Psychology or Biology - none of these are easy and the latter two require a very good memory. If you feel that taking a science subject is not a good idea, then take another language. Best to keep your options open though.
Original post by Ben Smithwell
As an employer, I can tell you now that those are very strong choices.

How come? :tongue:
Reply 10
I have looked into taking a science, do you think a science would fit in well with my other subjects? Or do complimentary subjects not really matter that much?
Reply 11
Original post by marple
What about economics as a 4th? It goes well with your other choices (although if you found you loved it and wanted to study it at university you would find it hard without Maths A level).

I hadn't thought of economics... Thankyou :smile:
I took English lit, History and Latin which is similar to what you've already chosen and i also took Classical Civilisation. I found it went well with English lit and History as there is 1 history and 1 literature paper and it's easier than English and History but still a 'good essay subject'. I have friends who did similar options to me and they did Government and Politics, Economics or Philosophy and Ethics instead of Clas Civ so those 3 are also decent options :smile:
English Language! It's really useful for English Lit, and people who take a language often find the two help each other (this was the case in my class, I couldn't even grasp Year 9 German so I can't speak for myself...) It also comes in useful for most subjects you take :smile:
Reply 14
I was thinking of taking another language, German, but I don't know if that would make my options too language based?

You can never have too many languages, employers like that and it's extremely rare now days. Plus, you may just get the bonus' of travelling!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending