The Student Room Group

Is it uncommon to go straight into postgrad school after undergraduate?

:confused:
Reply 1
Not sure about the UK but in Germany at least it's very common. :smile:
I would say it depends on your chosen cereer and your ability to pay for a Master. (Some people probably would if they could afford it.) Another reason not to go directly in postgraduate study is not knowing what to do, but that can also be a reason to do it.

Very common: research oriented career path (PHD; natural sciences), engineering (Chartered), Psychology, international career focus (in some countries a BA isn't seen as sufficient to get into higher positions or even to get into an entry position)
Uncommon: degree who aren't vocational at all, degrees from the beginning not designed to lead you to further academic heights

That's what I would guess ... concerning only countries where a BA is not seen as "dropping out/no material for higher goals"
Reply 3
Depends on the field. I've been told by admissions people that as the cost of undergrad degrees is rising (and the cost of postgrad degrees too!) potential postgrads are more often choosing to take at least a few years out to save up for postgrad education.

From memory in my masters cohort about a third or so had come straight through and everyone else had done at least a year's worth of something else, in some cases several years.
I intend to go directly to postgraduate study but given the current system of fees I imagine there won't be lots of 22 year olds Compared to times past.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending