The Student Room Group

Psychology degree advice needed

Hey,

I am sure I could derive a lot of this info from looking around but I thought I'd make a topic on my specific case.

I am musician and composer, I finish my (under-grad) music course next year. This will be my main occupation in life. But I have become interesting interested in neuroscience and psychiatry to the point that I would like to pursue it in further education. If you could do a psychiatry course without having to go through med school and everything, that's probably what I'd do, but as musician is my primary occupation, med school is not the route for me!
Pursuing an undergrad psychology degree seems the best place to start for me.. I would like to find something more cognitive neuroscience-based.. I am particularly interested in talking at things on a chemical level, but yes I would also like to study psychology in practice. Also interested to be involved in research. One of the courses KC offers is pretty much what I am after; http://www.kcl.ac.uk/iop/depts/psychology/study/bscs/bscneuropsych.aspbut you have to do it as an intercalation.

What other courses could you recommend, and will I be able to do it with my A levels.. A politics, A music, B english ?

Obviously, I want to do the best course possible. It also needs to be in London.

And are there any short/part term/intense courses you could recommend?

Thanks in advance,
S
Original post by pseu
Hey,

I am sure I could derive a lot of this info from looking around but I thought I'd make a topic on my specific case.

I am musician and composer, I finish my (under-grad) music course next year. This will be my main occupation in life. But I have become interesting interested in neuroscience and psychiatry to the point that I would like to pursue it in further education. If you could do a psychiatry course without having to go through med school and everything, that's probably what I'd do, but as musician is my primary occupation, med school is not the route for me!
Pursuing an undergrad psychology degree seems the best place to start for me.. I would like to find something more cognitive neuroscience-based.. I am particularly interested in talking at things on a chemical level, but yes I would also like to study psychology in practice. Also interested to be involved in research. One of the courses KC offers is pretty much what I am after; http://www.kcl.ac.uk/iop/depts/psychology/study/bscs/bscneuropsych.aspbut you have to do it as an intercalation.

What other courses could you recommend, and will I be able to do it with my A levels.. A politics, A music, B english ?

Obviously, I want to do the best course possible. It also needs to be in London.

And are there any short/part term/intense courses you could recommend?

Thanks in advance,
S

Why don't you do a degree in neuroscience or biomedical sciences? I think those would suit your interests better than a psychology degree. I can't access your link but if it's an intercalated course that will probably mean you'll have to do a med degree, which you don't want.

KCL has a neuroscience degree. I think it has at least one, if not two Bs in the entry requirements (I may be completely wrong). It seems right for you. Look at the psychology degrees for UCL too, and finally check out if biomedical sciences are for you.

Finally, why do you want to do a degree if you don't want to pursue it after a degree? A degree is a lot of money. If you're just interested as a hobby, just check out Coursera and iTunes U and things like that.

If you want a short course, I think buckingham uni does a 1-yr psych degree, but it may not be the psych you're interested in.
Hi pseu,

I'm a medic and did a psych Bsc and an Msc in clinical neuroscience previously at UCL.

Psychology really will not satisfy your interest in neuroscience or mental health; < 25% of a psych degree would comprise those (and even then they'd be pretty dumbed down biologically speaking). There are lots of tailored masters degrees in mental health and neuroscience, but sadly you would need a biological based degree to get on those so they're out of the question.

Your best bet does sound like a neuroscience degree with a strong clinical component. Psychiatric neuroscience will be covered as part of clinical neuroscience not cognitive neuroscience, but even so, there will be general bits of neuroscience and molecular biology that may not appeal to you. Also, almost all neuroscience degrees require either chemistry or biology A level. I'm assuming you took art A levels? In which case it may be hard to be accepted on to any neuro undergrad courses.

But to be honest as punctuation says it seems like a big investment for just an interest. Instead of investing £40,000 studying, you could just buy a few books, go on a few short courses, read a few blogs and chat to some students.

Psychiatry and neuroscience are my areas of expertise, if you have any burning questions feel free to fire them my way.
Reply 3
Hi guys,

Sorry, just saw the replies!

I discovered the KCL Neuroscience course and that's my plan after I finish my uni degree. Just need to get an access to science diploma... (or cram some A levels)
You can also intercalate that degree with a year of psychiatry which is my particular interest.

I don't think I made it clear enough. It's not just a hobby, it's a passion for something I really want to study academically. I believe it will inform my music. I am particularly interested in studying things relevant to my life and working in them (part time).. namely interested in doing research into the neurology of music, substance related disorders and I would also like to work on my own form of music therapy.
And hell, everyone want's a bit of official paper in this country, that's how it works doesn't it? ;-) not to mention studying in an institution with other like minds is much more desirable that itunes courses..

Thanks for your advice though.

@Sinatrafan.. you're correct it won't, hence I think the neuroscience course (which I discovered existed after my original post) will be best suited.

I am not quite sure of the difference between cognitive neuroscience and clinical neuroscience I assumed they overlapped hugely. I am interested in how the brain (and the rest of the nervous system) works, particularly what chemicals do what, how you can treat mental illness etc.

As mentioned above, I will need to get my science qualifications. I am willing to do that.

But yeah... just reading a few books and short courses... nah not for me.. spend all my time doing the reading anyway. Doesn't mean I can get involved in research and talk to people who have a clue what I'm saying..

Many thanks for your guidance. If you have any further advice I'd be very grateful.
I'm really glad you've found a good course for you and a way to get there, and I respect the desire to want to get formal qualification.

I went on an excellent course a few years back looking at music and the brain. It looked at its therapeutic benefits, mental illness in classical composers and the neuroscience behind musical creation and appreciation; an interesting area.

Just to answer your question, the difference between the two is subtle but important.

Clinical neuroscience is the study of disease processes in the brain and the neuroscience that underpins medicine and in particular the medical specialties of neurology and psychiatry.

Cognitive neuroscience looks more at how brain working and anatomy relates to brain function. This looks more at the neuroscience behind memory, visual processes, intelligence and so forth.

In reality there is a lot of overlap and in either case you'll need/receive a good underpinning in molecular neuroscience and neuroanatomy.

Quick Reply

Latest