Poll: Is Wigga a racist term?
I'm black and I think it's racist (9)
11.84%
I'm black and don't think it's racist (5)
6.58%
I'm not black and think it's racist (15)
19.74%
I'm not black and don't think it's racist (47)
61.84%
This discussion is closed.
xoxo_GossipGirl
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Ok I don't mean to start a big 'racism' debate, but I would like to settle a discussion, so I really hope this thead doesn't get pulled. Basically I've never thought of wigga as being a racist term before, I've used it myself in the past, and I've never had any racist intention when using it. I've gotten into a big discussion, and this seems to be the only way to solve it. Apparently it's supposed to be racist towards black people, so I'm splitting the poll for that reason only. Thanks guys xxx
vin
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 15 years ago
what?:confused: ive never heard that before:confused:
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Put it this way...wouldn't you be offended at being compared to a chav?
austrian guy
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
wigga? We don't have this expression in Austria. Unless you pronounce the "w" very strangely.
xoxo_GossipGirl
Rep:
Well obviously =p but there's a difference to being offensive and being racist. I don't consider myself a racist person, so if I'm calling someone a wigga and everyone thinks its racism i best stop! I just never saw it like that before. Or are some people just too PC
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
I really dont like PC at all, but do think it is a little far...but then I may be wrong, since I cant say it is a culture I know a great deal amount.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by austrian guy)
wigga? We don't have this expression in Austria. Unless you pronounce the "w" very strangely.

Vigga? Crazy German pronunciation, heh.

I don't know. It's certainly using stereotypes of black culture, and I suppose the implication is that a white person is lowering themselves by copying this stereotyped lifestyle. Also, the word it's derived from is, I'm pretty sure, censored on here. So it obviously offends many.

That said, who am I to say what's offensive to a group that I'm not part of?
trixx
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Well actually if it is to be considered racist against anyone it is white people. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure 'wigga' is use to refer to white people who try very hard to be black.
dogtanian
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Hehe. If it is racist, it's prejudiced against the white individual, and racist against the black people.
trixx
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dogtanian)
Vigga? Crazy German pronunciation, heh.

I don't know. It's certainly using stereotypes of black culture, and I suppose the implication is that a white person is lowering themselves by copying this stereotyped lifestyle. Also, the word it's derived from is, I'm pretty sure, censored on here. So it obviously offends many.

That said, who am I to say what's offensive to a group that I'm not part of?
Lowering themselves???
You might want to re-phrase that.
xoxo_GossipGirl
Rep:
It's not people that try hard to be black though, because not all black people act the same! It's used to describe people that emulate a certain part of black culture, the music, style etc
aSian_cUtY
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
yea thats what it means trixx..i dont think thers any racist meaning to it...like the word '*****' is not longer considered a racist term as much..i dont think wigga is either..
dogtanian
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by trixx)
Lowering themselves???
You might want to re-phrase that.

Um, you might want to try reading my post.
trixx
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
So what? do you want me to thank you for changing it???:confused:
dogtanian
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
I didn't change it.
It's unedited, exactly how I posted it originally. You misread my first post.
pink_lucie
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
i dont think its racist, ive been called a wigger and ive called people wiggers.
theres also another version of when a black person is too white, i think its like bounty or soomething...:confused:
aSian_cUtY
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
na gossip girl...thats when asian people are trying to act white....so they are called bounties or coconut
trixx
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Sorry, you're right i mis-read it. Erm... Can i blame it on PMT/exams?
dogtanian
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Go ahead. At least you were big enough to admit a mistake. Many wouldn't.
alkaeda
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
i mite say it, cos imm a desi niga. wiga plzz

if i was u though i wudnt, some people mite think u said "*****" and not "wigga" and get offended and beat u up.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (36)
9.84%
Okay (106)
28.96%
A bit lacking (135)
36.89%
Not good at all (89)
24.32%

Watched Threads