The Student Room Group

MSc Economics/Econ and Finance any chances?

Hey everyone!

I am an international and I just completed my UG degree in Economics at Exeter. My results were as follows:

1st year - 43%
2nd year- 49.5%
3rd year - 71%

Final mark- 64%

I applied to an MSc in Economics in Exeter BS but my application unsuccessful as my macro and micro modules in my second year were not at 60%. I reapply to Msc Money and Banking and I was told the same again. They suggested to apply to an MSc in Management or Marketing but I said 'no thanks' (Don't feel like splashing 17k in something I'm not interested in). Also I didn't apply to other unis since I thought that realistically I was not gonna get any offers sitting on a third.

I think my 1st and 2nd year grades do not reflect my academic abilities, otherwise the jump wouldn't have been that high. However I do understand that university is about achievement and not potential. Last summer I went to Harvard summer school and took two courses on intermediate macro and micro theory precisely as a way to improve my understanding. I got an A and B for them ( a 1st and a mid 2.1?) I don't know if I should mention this to the admissions deparment as a possible reason for reconsideration.

I know my grades are very average but do I stand any chances for top10 business schools in the UK still? I have no relevant experience in the finance industry but I would consider taking a gap year or two and get some experience (it wouldn't be in the UK though). I was also planning to do a GMAT prep course in London and try as hard as I can to get a 600+ score and improve my profile.

Also I've notice my university, warwick and others run taught diploma as a way to access masters programmes in Econ and Finance. Ideally I would like to do a MSc in Econ and Finance or just plain Economics.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or advice guys!
Reply 1
anyone? please
Reply 2
Which universities are you considering? Only Exeter and Warwick? Have you considered Southampton, Bristol or Nottingham?

Going the Diploma route is another way you could get into the MSc programme.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply. I am considering Warwick, Exeter, Bristol, Edinburgh, Durham and Bath. I do not know what my chances are, but in these days of high competition I believe my grades are not on my side. Will there be any problem to apply for a diploma in economics being a econ UG student? I will give them a ring anyway to see what they say.
Reply 4
Original post by nm595
Thanks for the reply. I am considering Warwick, Exeter, Bristol, Edinburgh, Durham and Bath. I do not know what my chances are, but in these days of high competition I believe my grades are not on my side. Will there be any problem to apply for a diploma in economics being a econ UG student? I will give them a ring anyway to see what they say.

You should be okay with Warwick as long as you have a strong personal statement and also strong references. I have a friend who was in a similar situation to you and went to Warwick.

To be fair, the things that will improve your chances are strong references and a strong personal statement.
Reply 5
Original post by .ACS.
You should be okay with Warwick as long as you have a strong personal statement and also strong references. I have a friend who was in a similar situation to you and went to Warwick.

To be fair, the things that will improve your chances are strong references and a strong personal statement.

Is this for the diploma or the MSc? I think I could get references from professors/senior lecture but I am not optimistic about the MSc in Econ and finance as they are highly competitive (only firsts degrees get in).
Reply 6
Original post by nm595
Is this for the diploma or the MSc? I think I could get references from professors/senior lecture but I am not optimistic about the MSc in Econ and finance as they are highly competitive (only firsts degrees get in).

He did the MSc in Economics and Finance.
Reply 7
Out of interest how can u go from below 50% to 70+% in hardest year. Did you just mess about year 1 and 2? Not taking a dig just interested because your 3rd year results are excellent.

If I were you I would walk into exeter speak to course leader/organiser and say I messed about in 1st/2nd year or what ever the reason was and then buckled down in 3rd year and did harvard school thing and this shows you clearly have what it takes and will work hard on the msc course.

Edinburgh I went to for undergrad econ and applied for econ msc got in but then got job. You wont get in I think without strong macro/econometric background.

I think you my be forced to accept your mistake. Apply for warwick diploma etc saying you messed up y1 and y2 for what ever reason but did well in 3rd year and did harvard thing and are committed to doing the diploma and msc and correcting for stupid mistake in year 1 and year 2.
Reply 8
Hey mohamed, thanks for the comment. To be honest with you it was a combination of homesickness, illness of a close relative and not giving a **** about uni. I failed 2 modules in my second year and that's why I got a 3rd. Sadly, I got firsts for the retakes and they were capped to 40%. I know it will be hard to get into any decent grad school but I have to give it a go. I'm applying for msc econ at edinburgh too. They offered me a place for MA Economics back in the time. It would love going there. At the moment two professors and 1 senior lecturer have agreed to recommend me, now just need to make sure they dont write lukewarm letters. The frustrating thing is that i know i got the macro/micro/econometrics foundation but i cant prove it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending