The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Theoretical Physics vs Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathematics

Judging by the module booklet I received on Friday's open day, these two courses are incredibly similar at Birmingham - however, how do I distinguish between the two in order to make a decision? As lovely as the professors and students were, none of them were able to provide me with a clear answer about the major differences between the two subjects. Is it more a question of modules or attitude towards learning? :confused:

A detailed response from anybody in the physics/maths department would be much appreciated! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by jazzynutter
Judging by the module booklet I received on Friday's open day, these two courses are incredibly similar at Birmingham - however, how do I distinguish between the two in order to make a decision? As lovely as the professors and students were, none of them were able to provide me with a clear answer about the major differences between the two subjects. Is it more a question of modules or attitude towards learning? :confused:

A detailed response from anybody in the physics/maths department would be much appreciated! :biggrin:

Don't worry about it, there is very very little difference in any of the physics courses in the first year, and not much in the second year either. There's 5 hours different material between TPAM and TP(no lab) in the first year and 6 hours difference between TPAM and TP(no lab) in the 2nd year. As long as you do well in whatever physics course you choose in the first year it isn't difficult to swap onto another one because for the first couple years there is very little variation.

The only thing that I'd put a fair bit of thought into about choosing your course right now is if you want to do no lab or lab as that can be a bit more difficult to change if you leave it too late. (Count astrolab as lab as it is very easy to swap between astrolab and lab.)
(edited 10 years ago)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by JackHLi
Don't worry about it, there is very very little difference in any of the physics courses in the first year, and not much in the second year either. There's 5 hours different material between TPAM and TP(no lab) in the first year and 6 hours difference between TPAM and TP(no lab) in the 2nd year. As long as you do well in whatever physics course you choose in the first year it isn't difficult to swap onto another one because for the first couple years there is very little variation.

The only thing that I'd put a fair bit of thought into about choosing your course right now is if you want to do no lab or lab as that can be a bit more difficult to change if you leave it too late. (Count astrolab as lab as it is very easy to swap between astrolab and lab.)

Don't worry, I've already come to the realisation that I am simply not cut out for lab :colondollar:

Thank you for the help!
Reply 3
Original post by jazzynutter
Don't worry, I've already come to the realisation that I am simply not cut out for lab :colondollar:

Thank you for the help!

Np :smile: just realised by the way that I put there's 5 hours difference in first year, I meant 5 hours difference a week.

It's really not much, shown by how easy it is to switch between after the first year (but obviously more different than just 5 hours difference over the whole year like I accidentally said) . Have fun with whatever it is you decide to do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending