The Student Room Group

Is Edinburgh good for law?

My other choices are UCL, LSE, King's and Durham. Not really sure how respected Edinburgh is for law because I know nothing about it. Do they use the LNAT? Are interviews common? Is it as competitive as the London universities? Have people from Edinburgh been known to get into magic circle firms or other 'big' ones? Thanks. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Voovist
My other choices are UCL, LSE, King's and Durham. Not really sure how respected Edinburgh is for law because I know nothing about it. Do they use the LNAT? Are interviews common? Is it as competitive as the London universities? Have people from Edinburgh been known to get into magic circle firms or other 'big' ones? Thanks. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's one of the best law schools to do scots law if that helps
Reply 2
It doesn't use the LNAT or interviews. Edinburgh is highly respected and a great law course. The course is Scots law which is more akin to European and international systems which helps if you are considering working abroad. Conversion to English law takes less than a year and is sponsored by the 'big' firms you talk about. I am going into my final year and have loved it and have got far with applications with large firms for jobs. My advice would be to not focus on the Magic Circle (or is more commonly known now the 'emerging elite') as that is several years away. Instead focus on the degree programme and what you will enjoy - you might not even enjoy the realities of commercial law when you study it!
Reply 3
Original post by Rosebud91
It doesn't use the LNAT or interviews. Edinburgh is highly respected and a great law course. The course is Scots law which is more akin to European and international systems which helps if you are considering working abroad. Conversion to English law takes less than a year and is sponsored by the 'big' firms you talk about. I am going into my final year and have loved it and have got far with applications with large firms for jobs. My advice would be to not focus on the Magic Circle (or is more commonly known now the 'emerging elite') as that is several years away. Instead focus on the degree programme and what you will enjoy - you might not even enjoy the realities of commercial law when you study it!

Thanks for the replies! I never realised there was a difference between the English and Scots courses :3. So, how do you convert to English law to work for an English firm? Do you do a conversion course type thing after your first year or something? Sorry, just unsure about how it all works. And yes, I'd like to live in America one day if that counts? Also, how competitive is Edinburgh's law course compared to my other choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Voovist
Thanks for the replies! I never realised there was a difference between the English and Scots courses :3. So, how do you convert to English law to work for an English firm? Do you do a conversion course type thing after your first year or something? Sorry, just unsure about how it all works. And yes, I'd like to live in America one day if that counts? Also, how competitive is Edinburgh's law course compared to my other choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd have to do the GDL, same as anyone else without a qualifying law degree.

People won't be too sure as English students generally don't apply due to the above, but you can check the average entry criteria on any of the league tables.
Reply 5
Original post by roh
You'd have to do the GDL, same as anyone else without a qualifying law degree.

People won't be too sure as English students generally don't apply due to the above, but you can check the average entry criteria on any of the league tables.

You get some extra exemptions I think, I know someone that did it.
Reply 6
You do get exemptions - I am expecting to only have to sit property, trusts and equity.
Reply 7
Can anyone advise the OP whether the degree at Edinburgh would be 4 years instead of 3 years (Scots degrees often are). So then OP would have to do the law conversion course (another year) too. Worth thinking about.
Reply 8
It is a four year degree - the first two years are ordinary and the second are honours, giving you your degree classification over two years instead of one.
Reply 9
Can you do the law conversion course at Edinburgh? Is every law student guaranteed to get onto the law conversion course? If you do it, how does the degree compare to UCL's/Durham's in terms of respect, etc.?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Voovist
Can you do the law conversion course at Edinburgh? Is every law student guaranteed to get onto the law conversion course? If you do it, how does the degree compare to UCL's/Durham's in terms of respect, etc.?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, GDL is usually offered by the same professionally focussed institutions that do the LPC and BPTC, though some unis do offer it but not the professional courses. If you wanted to be a commercial solicitor there's a chance a firm would tell you where to do it.

No, but it's pretty hard to get rejected provided you have the money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending