The Student Room Group

Where do you get your news from?

I only read BBC and Press TV websites but I find they satisfy my needs. I find websites such as The Economist, Huffington Post and The New Statesman interesting but unfortunately I don't have time to sit there and read lots of detailed articles.

-What about you?
-Do you feel that the news you read is unbiased and informative?
-Do you feel it is better to read five or six different websites rather than one or two?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BBC website
BBC news
Channel 4 news
The Independent website
The Guardian website
New Statesman website
Huffington Post wesbsite

and for sports;

BBC Sport website
Sky Sports website
Reply 2
BBC News website.
BBC Sports website.
The Times
Occasionally, The 'I'.

I might try reading the New Statesmen from hereon in, too.
bbc news channel and the htc news app on my phone
BBC, Russia Today and New Scientist mostly.

Check the metro and evening standard on the way to and from work.

Also get news from here, so Guardian and Daily Mail too.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
BBC, Russia Today and New Scientist mostly.

Check the metro and evening standard on the way to and from work.

Also get news from here, so Guardian and Daily Mail too.

Ahh nothing like a good unbiased news agency :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by AgentSushi

that's an oxymoron, there is no such thing as an "unbiased news agency"
Original post by SciFiRory
that's an oxymoron, there is no such thing as an "unbiased news agency"

Thats true, but you must agree some are better than others? RT is solely funded by the Russian government.
Reply 8
Thats true, but you must agree some are better than others? RT is solely funded by the Russian government.

well, that would be subjective, what I think is better may not correspond to what you think is better.

RT from what little I have seen of it (mainly via YouTube clips) is pretty biased on Russian issues but on global issues they have had some pretty interesting discussions on there.

I also suspect that most people outside of the UK would consider most of our news networks (especially the BBC) to be biased on UK issues.
well, that would be subjective, what I think is better may not correspond to what you think is better.

RT from what little I have seen of it (mainly via YouTube clips) is pretty biased on Russian issues but on global issues they have had some pretty interesting discussions on there.

I also suspect that most people outside of the UK would consider most of our news networks (especially the BBC) to be biased on UK issues.

Yeah I agree most news agencies have a regional bias, but what I was hinting at more was the clear political bias RT has in its reports. Im not saying other news agencies don't but it is fairly well known RT is not very transparent.

I watch RT and they do haven an intresting take on things, especially international issues like you said which makes a change from a lot of the western news agencies
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
The Times and the Beeb. The latter because it's quick.
Reply 11
Mostly the I
A bit from Huff. Post
Yeah I agree most news agencies have a regional bias, but what I was hinting at more was the clear political bias RT has in its reports. Im not saying other news agencies don't but it is fairly well known RT is not very transparent.

I watch RT and they do haven an intresting take on things, especially international issues like you said which makes a change from a lot of the western news agencies

well, I guess so, though I tend to find some of the bias on UK or US networks to be just as apparent.

they do aye, I like some of the discussions on their cause they seem to be more balanced in who they have on than most of the stuff on the news here (which tends to be just the main political parties and then a business person or something, all of whom just quibble over semantics rather than any actual difference of policy or direction)

I agree, though you should have highlighted the BBC as well.
Reply 14
Usually, from people who are actually at the scene, or the very least, same area/country.
Reply 15
Daily mail, Telegraph, RT, sky news. I used to watch ITV but the local news portrayed the north east's lack of diversity as bad.
For foreign news I'll use Le Figaro and fox news

Some interesting things are on here too which I missed elsewhere.

Reply 16
BBC website
BBC news
Channel 4 news
The Independent website
The Guardian website
New Statesman website
Huffington Post wesbsite

and for sports;

BBC Sport website
Sky Sports website

not to biased then?
Reply 17
I get my news from The Daily Mail and Russia Today
TSR believe it or not. Very rarely do I bother to watch the news and instead become aware of the main stories because of threads members make.
Original post by dj1015
not to biased then?

meh, I don't always agree with everything in any of those sources, the BBC least of all as it's normally pretty pro-establishment.

Latest

Trending

Trending