The Student Room Group

Don't Call Me Crazy BB3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wasn't too keen on the latest episode. I thought Crystal's parents didn't help much with the stigma of psychosis. They mentioned it was a different personality that she switches between, she wasn't likely to succeed in life and that they were scared of her.
Reply 21
Haven't watched this yet but will do, its very important that MH issues get this sort of coverage to put to bed all those horrible prejudices people have towards mental illness. Though about the people on the program, I read an article about it and there was only mention of girls on the program, have there been any guys on it yet, cause its quite a well known problem with guys not opening up about MH issues and I read on the article it was mainly girls on twitter talking about their issues as well. Don't get me wrong, its fantastic that many girls feel they can open up about these issues and talk to people, but it doesn't seem to be the same with guys unfortunately because of the stiff upper lip mentality and the fear of admitting what they perceive to be weakness.
Reply 22
Original post by Olie
Haven't watched this yet but will do, its very important that MH issues get this sort of coverage to put to bed all those horrible prejudices people have towards mental illness. Though about the people on the program, I read an article about it and there was only mention of girls on the program, have there been any guys on it yet, cause its quite a well known problem with guys not opening up about MH issues and I read on the article it was mainly girls on twitter talking about their issues as well. Don't get me wrong, its fantastic that many girls feel they can open up about these issues and talk to people, but it doesn't seem to be the same with guys unfortunately because of the stiff upper lip mentality and the fear of admitting what they perceive to be weakness.

There haven't been any males shown yet, but I believe the third episode involves two guys.
I didn't like Crystal's parents! They focussed too much on what her condition could have been rather than helping her.
I'm glad she got the help she needed; feel so sorry for Beth though :frown:

Yup two males are being focussed on next week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Crystal had a horrendous time pre-adoption by the sound of it, however she definitely does not have psychosis! (and IMO was trying to get diagnosed with schizophrenia).
Original post by rose-star
Crystal had a horrendous time pre-adoption by the sound of it, however she definitely does not have psychosis! (and IMO was trying to get diagnosed with schizophrenia).

What makes you think she definitely doesn't have it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because it said towards the end of the show from a doctor that she didn't have any problems!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Crystal also had the same named hallucinations and place where they live as Janni Schofield, the 'famous' child schizophrenic (youtube it). Either she watched it at some point and subconsciously remembered it or she was faking it.
Reply 28
Original post by Noodlzzz
Crystal also had the same named hallucinations and place where they live as Janni Schofield, the 'famous' child schizophrenic (youtube it). Either she watched it at some point and subconsciously remembered it or she was faking it.

This was what lead me to believe she definitely didn't have psychosis- her symptoms were absolutely identical to those that Janni was reported to suffer from aged 7. They are not typical of all psychosis/schizophrenia and do not really make sense in this context.
This was what lead me to believe she definitely didn't have psychosis- her symptoms were absolutely identical to those that Janni was reported to suffer from aged 7. They are not typical of all psychosis/schizophrenia and do not really make sense in this context.

Oops didn't mean to neg you. :colondollar:

I just watched both episodes and now I feel like an ignorant ***hole. :tongue:
Reply 30
Haha, don't worry!

I'm a third year psychology student and so recognized it wasn't typical of psychosis, then remembered Jani and it's identical! I could start another debate about whether January actually has schizophrenia or just autism, ADD and strange parents but probably shouldn't!
Reply 31
Haha, don't worry!

I'm a third year psychology student and so recognized it wasn't typical of psychosis, then remembered Jani and it's identical! I could start another debate about whether January actually has schizophrenia or just autism, ADD and strange parents but probably shouldn't!

Another non-believer of Jani lol.
Reply 32
Another non-believer of Jani lol.

Yeah, I'm not really sure! Some things like the desire to kill her little brother did seem like psychosis, as did her trying to jump from a window in her school BUT for the latter she was already on a high quantity of heavy duty anti-psychotics, which could have explained why she behaved as she did... who knows!

I thought I was the only one thinking how similar it was to Jani! At first I thought giving the characters 'number' names and having an imaginary land was a quirky but common aspect of psychosis in some people, however, the way Crystal behaved reminded me more of a dissociative disorder where you can have imaginary characters and worlds. Either way, she clearly needed the help.
Original post by simplylldxo
I'm gonna admit I've always thought ED's, SH and Suicide were attention seeking; even fell out with a friend over it :confused:

The show really opened my mind a little although to me that Gillian was attention seeking!

Emma and Beth were really sweet; I'm glad Emma was able to go home and go back to school, its sad that Beth ended up getting sectioned! :frown:

Next week looks interesting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guessing I can't have an opinion.. I'm so sorry if it offended you but like I said it opened my eyes.. We all can't feel the same way especially if you have had first hand experience of it all.

Gillian was an AS; funny how her behaviour changes when her mum gets back in contact..

Monday's ep got ruined for me by someone spoiling it on Twitter (I went to A&E) but glad Beth got discharged!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simplylldxo
Guessing I can't have an opinion.. I'm so sorry if it offended you but like I said it opened my eyes.. We all can't feel the same way especially if you have had first hand experience of it all.

Gillian was an AS; funny how her behaviour changes when her mum gets back in contact..

Monday's ep got ruined for me by someone spoiling it on Twitter (I went to A&E) but glad Beth got discharged!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, someone who's been sectioned and put in a vile place is attention seeking. Have you ever been in a psychiatric hospital? If not shut up
Reply 36
I only caught some of one episode but I found it very interesting. Having studied psychology at A level it was interesting to see how mental health disorders appear in the real world and how they are managed/treated.

To be honest I was quite surprised at the difference: what I'd learnt in psychology didn't really seem to have much bearing on the real world. We were always taught specific theories about the causes of these disorders (eg neurotransmitters) and the various approaches like biological, cognitive etc, as well as the different ways they treat the disorder.

Thats all very well in the classroom but I don't think it can be so easily applied to real world settings. The disorders aren't as clear cut as we were taught, and it's probably not as easy to diagnose it as they had us believe. Plus things we were taught as fact didn't really seem to apply, for instance we were told schizophrenics were almost always given drug treatment, but it didn't appear the girl with hallucinations was. The things we were taught seemed quite reductionist and maybe not so great in practice.

So yeh I think maybe all those endless studies and theories we had to learn don't really have much real world application in a setting such as is. Perhaps it was because its A level and doesn't go into nearly as much depth as a degree course would.
But anyway it's certainly an interesting, and quite emotional program and if I can I'll catch up on the episodes I missed.
Original post by mojojojo101
I really wanted to watch it, however my depression is biting pretty hard at the moment and I found all of it just too close to home at the moment... hopefully it stays on iPlayer and I can watch it back when I'm feeling better.

here's a stranger hoping that you'll get better soon :hugs:
Original post by montstar
I only caught some of one episode but I found it very interesting. Having studied psychology at A level it was interesting to see how mental health disorders appear in the real world and how they are managed/treated.

To be honest I was quite surprised at the difference: what I'd learnt in psychology didn't really seem to have much bearing on the real world. We were always taught specific theories about the causes of these disorders (eg neurotransmitters) and the various approaches like biological, cognitive etc, as well as the different ways they treat the disorder.

Thats all very well in the classroom but I don't think it can be so easily applied to real world settings. The disorders aren't as clear cut as we were taught, and it's probably not as easy to diagnose it as they had us believe. Plus things we were taught as fact didn't really seem to apply, for instance we were told schizophrenics were almost always given drug treatment, but it didn't appear the girl with hallucinations was. The things we were taught seemed quite reductionist and maybe not so great in practice.

So yeh I think maybe all those endless studies and theories we had to learn don't really have much real world application in a setting such as is. Perhaps it was because its A level and doesn't go into nearly as much depth as a degree course would.
But anyway it's certainly an interesting, and quite emotional program and if I can I'll catch up on the episodes I missed.

I'm glad you noticed this. It's so annoying seeing psychology A-level students suddenly assuming that they can automatically read people, particularly those with mental health disorders :laugh:
It's funny, I thought those numbered characters seemed a bit familiar and after reading this thread I remembered where I'd heard about them before...the little girl schizophrenic.

I thought it was good, I spent some time in a children's hospital and it was interesting comparing it to the one shown. It was great seeing Beth get discharged at the end. :smile: Matty being moved abruptly to an adult ward on his 18th birthday struck a chord with me as I had issues with being transferred to adult services. It must have been quite disruptive for him, the way they showed it it seemed like he was literally moved in the middle of the night!

Quick Reply

Latest