The Student Room Group

English at Sheffield Hallam

Hey anyone going to Sheffield Hallam to do English studies this year?
Reply 1
Original post by _Rebecca
Hey anyone going to Sheffield Hallam to do English studies this year?

If English Studies is the same as English then yes I should be. Excited?
Reply 2
Are you in your second year then? But yes I can wait, so excited to be going!
Reply 3
What do you mean by second year? It'll be my first year at uni, I've just done my A-Levels. I'm really looking forward to the course. Have you applied for accommodation?
Reply 4
I don't even know got confused some how haha, but yeah I've picked the pinnacles and the anvil how about you?
Reply 5
Ermm you know I can't even remember, I'll have to check.

I've gone for Victoria Hall and Devonshire Courtyard, I want an ensuite but don't want to pay through the roof! I'm a little worried about the creative writing modules on the course, creative writing isn't my strong point! Anything you're particularly looking forward to?
Reply 6
Me too I've not had much experience of it in college because we didn't cover it much, but I'm sure they'll teach us and help us with things if we need it are you nervous for results day?
Reply 7
If they've kept the same modules that were there when I was floating about then I wouldn't worry. They're broad looks at the general areas like poems/short story and the speed they go through them in a semester is pretty quick, because a) you don't need to learn that much about the individual styles and b) they're relatively simplistic. If something in the class does interest you you can always pursue it the following year (there were quite a few English/Lang/Lit Students in the Screenwriting classes!).
Reply 8
Original post by svh0801
If they've kept the same modules that were there when I was floating about then I wouldn't worry. They're broad looks at the general areas like poems/short story and the speed they go through them in a semester is pretty quick, because a) you don't need to learn that much about the individual styles and b) they're relatively simplistic. If something in the class does interest you you can always pursue it the following year (there were quite a few English/Lang/Lit Students in the Screenwriting classes!).

That's reassuring, thanks. I'm assuming you studied English? Have you finished?

I'm a little nervous about results day but I should be fine. I'm 21 and I previously did one year of sixth form college, so I have 3 ASs in the bag as well as my qualifications from this time round. Because it's a points offer I should be absolutely fine, I still worry though! What about you?

Have you met anyone else on the course yet? You're the only person I've spoken to.
Reply 9
Original post by amyerose
That's reassuring, thanks. I'm assuming you studied English? Have you finished?

I'm a little nervous about results day but I should be fine. I'm 21 and I previously did one year of sixth form college, so I have 3 ASs in the bag as well as my qualifications from this time round. Because it's a points offer I should be absolutely fine, I still worry though! What about you?

Have you met anyone else on the course yet? You're the only person I've spoken to.

No problem =]
And no, I was on the Creative Writing course but had a few friends doing the English one who were in a couple of my classes.

I honestly can't remember what the requirements were for me at the time but think I breezed them (not in a bragging sense, just that they were relatively achievable).

There was only about 40 on my entire course because it was still finding its feet (I think it we were its second year of intake, although I could be wrong).

There were many, MANY more English students and that isn't including the Lang and Lit brances!

Have a look on Facebook to see if there are any groups for the coming year or the already established ones (I'd imagine there to be some anyway) there might be some of your class!
Reply 10
Hello!

Im a second year studying English at Sheffield Hallam and wanting to sell all my first year books.
I asked my lecturer whether the books would be the same and she said they would be very similar.
Wanting to get rid of them all at once so it's easier for me and you!
Let me know if you're interested :smile:
(all in good condition)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending