The Student Room Group

23 and looking to study veterinary medicine

Hi everyone, I'm 23 and I want to study Veterinary medicine.
I'm currently studying an extended national diploma in animal management along side A level Biology and As level Chemistry.

My GCSEs are pretty poor because i messed around at school way too much! I have 7 B and C grades but only a C in science. I'm worried that im wasting my time pursuing this course because my GCSEs are letting me down.

All the unis i have looked at want as or bs in science GCSE. If i get as in the A level sciences im doing will this be enough? or will i have to spend another year trying to re take my GCSEs?

Ive been told that some unis are willing to turn a blind eye to GCSEs if you're a mature student is this true?

RVC and Nottingham are my first choices, if anyone knows anything about this situation i would be extremely grateful to hear from you.

Thank you! x
It would probably be best to email the universities you wish to apply to based on your situation; a lot of them do have minimum GCSE requirements as stated in the prospectus and aren't necessarily going to turn a blind eye just because you are older (by 'mature' students we usually mean someone who already has a degree). They might suggest you redo some of your GCSEs.

Additionally, most (aside from Liverpool) require Chemistry to A2 level.
The RVC told me they only ask mature students to have a C or above in english, maths and science GCSEs. The others haven't been too bothered about GCSE grades. I would forget Nottingham, they expect you to have at least 5 As at GCSE or they won't consider you. Though like Silverstar said it would be worth emailing them explaining your specific situation.
Reply 3
You will need to meet their academic standards somehow, whether that is in the way of GCSE/GCE or otherwise. I would call each and every universitys' admissions office and discuss your individual circumstances. In my experience admissions policies vary greatly between universities, some of them demand that the letter of their policy is followed to the full, others are more, well, enlightened.

In terms of turning a blind eye, it appears to me that exceptions are made but only where an applicant has academically sound higher or equivalent qualifications; to insist on them going back to take, eg, an English GCSE might be considered ridiculous.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SilverstarDJ
(by 'mature' students we usually mean someone who already has a degree)

Im pretty sure mature student actually just refers to anyone who is 21 or over when they start uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending