The Student Room Group

Please help, don't know what else to do...

Hi everyone, I applied to the University of York and have an offer of ABB for Sociology. When I got the offer I was so excited and wanted to push myself even further to do the best I could and get the grades. Lately I don't have any motivation or desire to go to university at all :frown:. During my exams I didn't feel like I worked hard enough and felt like I didn't want any of it anymore. None of my family went to university and there all so proud of me for going, but I feel like they want me to go more than I do. Please no nasty comments but I've applied for a position as cabin crew for British Airways, which is something I've always wanted to do and I feel like I can actually aspire towards. I haven't told my family I've applied because I don't want to disappoint them, but I'm hoping I'll be offered the job so I have an alternative to university. I've lived abroad for the past 6 years in Dubai so the thought of living in student accommodation, being in debt and studying for a degree I don't actually want to do anything with seems so wrong to me. Whereas the thought of travelling and earning money seems exciting and interesting. I never actually enjoyed school and don't enjoy learning. If I don't have the aspiration to work for my A levels, why would I work for a degree? Then again, I feel like if I don't go to university ill miss out because all my friends are going, I won't get the student experience and ill have nothing to work towards. Please someone help me! I feel like I've worked all my life to go to university and now its here, I don't want it. What should I do? Lauren xox
Original post by Lauren333
Hi everyone, I applied to the University of York and have an offer of ABB for Sociology. When I got the offer I was so excited and wanted to push myself even further to do the best I could and get the grades. Lately I don't have any motivation or desire to go to university at all :frown:. During my exams I didn't feel like I worked hard enough and felt like I didn't want any of it anymore. None of my family went to university and there all so proud of me for going, but I feel like they want me to go more than I do. Please no nasty comments but I've applied for a position as cabin crew for British Airways, which is something I've always wanted to do and I feel like I can actually aspire towards. I haven't told my family I've applied because I don't want to disappoint them, but I'm hoping I'll be offered the job so I have an alternative to university. I've lived abroad for the past 6 years in Dubai so the thought of living in student accommodation, being in debt and studying for a degree I don't actually want to do anything with seems so wrong to me. Whereas the thought of travelling and earning money seems exciting and interesting. I never actually enjoyed school and don't enjoy learning. If I don't have the aspiration to work for my A levels, why would I work for a degree? Then again, I feel like if I don't go to university ill miss out because all my friends are going, I won't get the student experience and ill have nothing to work towards. Please someone help me! I feel like I've worked all my life to go to university and now its here, I don't want it. What should I do? Lauren xox

I'd say try uni, cos it'll keep your options open. If you don't enjoy your 1st year, you can drop out and apply for cabin crew then, in which case what have you lost? A few months of your life, and a bit student loan (but you don't even have to pay anything back until you start earning a decent amount). This way you can genuinely not have any regrets

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Id say it's better to not go and change your mind later than go, regret it and drop out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't have to go to Uni straight after school. Education is a life-long activity and many people dont go to Uni until their twenties - or much later. Uni will still be there as an option - either if you dont get the airline job or if you think of going to Uni later in life.

Many people race towards Uni because they havn't got a clue what else to do. If you have something else you want to do more - and you can do it - then dont worry about missing 'the student experience', or being different than your friends.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's your life, you can't live it for your family forever. If it's truly what you want, if you think it'll make you happy, then it's what you should do.

Having said that, I think you should wait a bit. See how you feel when your exam results come in. This is a massive decision, not one you should really make based on internet feedback. Make sure you understand the consequences of your choices. Going to university does open doors. Don't rush anything.

I don't know your parents, so I can't say whether to talk to them about it or not. All I can say is that I would with mine. If you feel you can't talk to them, are there any teachers, friends, other family members you can talk to? People who might understand your situation? I know it helps me sort my thoughts out, and sometimes you get really good advice.

Maybe not the yes/no answer you were looking for, but only you can really make this decision. It's not my place to tell you what to do. This is all just my opinion.
Reply 5
If you make your offer and get the job you can always defer for a year that way you get to see if the job is what you thought and you can still go to uni the next year if you want and you would have some extra money and job experience which is always good, your family should understand and this way your not saying no to uni straight away plus its your life and it will give you more time to think about what you want.
Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you so much for all the responses and especially thank you to sparrowhawk4, that was exactly what I needed to hear. I'm going to leave my University choice as it is and see how I feel when the results come out and see what progress I make with my job. Then go from there depending on what my options are. You are right, no need to make any quick decisions now before anything's been decided.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending