The Student Room Group
The kinks had a good song about her.
I don't care really.

She's only considered great because Britain was at its industrial height under her reign. She was only a constitutional monarch anyhow! She had no real executive powers. All British monarchs since the Hanoverian period have been constitutional monarchs.
Reply 3
Might be ironic if she too thought that women's minds weren't geared for politics and she disagreed with giving women the vote!

Or so I'm told, like.
Influential in a media sense only. She can hardly be called the "most influential" when she never affected policies, unlike the many many others before her.
Nature Lover
What does everybody think of this former British Queen? Personally I believe she is misunderstood and wrongly generalised as a 'miserable old woman'.
I think she is real symbol of British culture and probably the most famous and influential of all the monarchs.

Do you not find it ironic also that Queen Victoria was on the throne at a time when women were fighting for the vote and many considered women of 'inferior mind' when the ruler of the United Kingdom was female!

Was she a good queen?

She opposed the vote for women! Is that the irony?

And apparantly she stank. And she didn't show her ugly mug for years after her fella died. So in my opinion a great monarch. Its how all monarchs should behave. Dont show your face, think backwards, and smell bad. Are we talking about Victoria or the Queen mum, i've lost track.......
Reply 6
gas_panic!
The kinks had a good song about her.

Very true.

And yes, I don't think she was as miserable as seems to be thought.
Reply 7
cottonmouth
She opposed the vote for women! Is that the irony?

And apparantly she stank. And she didn't show her ugly mug for years after her fella died. So in my opinion a great monarch. Its how all monarchs should behave. Dont show your face, think backwards, and smell bad. Are we talking about Victoria or the Queen mum, i've lost track.......

Yes but its always been very hard for the Jewish community (such as yourself) to accept the British monarchy, so why should you start now cotton? Good on ye!
Reply 8
Apparently she was very unpopular for much of her reign, due to the extended sulk after Albert died.

Oh, and in case someone might get confused, I don't say this on account of my race, religion or culture.... :confused:
Reply 9
Mercer
Apparently she was very unpopular for much of her reign, due to the extended sulk after Albert died.

Oh, and in case someone might get confused, I don't say this on account of my race, religion or culture.... :confused:

Oh no no no Mercer, only cottonmouth does that.
Astor
Yes but its always been very hard for the Jewish community (such as yourself) to accept the British monarchy, so why should you start now cotton? Good on ye!

Oh! I didn't realise i was Jewish, i though i was an atheist, with atheist parents, one from Jamaica( a commonwealth country), one from England, and certainly noone from Israel. Haha, you must have confused me with someone else, John Jacob

Latest

Trending

Trending