The Student Room Group

Broke up with boyfriend - worst feeling ever

Scroll to see replies

Two contradictory opinions on the PGCE: goes to show that life is never black and white! Whatever you decide, be sure that you are doing it for YOU.
Reply 81
Maybe you could defer the PGCE for a year or two - so that you don't have to reapply.
Reply 82
Original post by MegM
Maybe you could defer the PGCE for a year or two - so that you don't have to reapply.

That was my first thought but they don't do deferrals. Also they HAVE to interview you in person so if I was travelling that would cause problems. I think I'm going to do it tbh. I can go travelling after. I think part of the reason I want to go travelling first is because I'm thinking I'll go travelling and then I'll come back and we'll get back together (not happening lets face it, we're not living in an america sitcom) or even based on other men like I was thinking what about if I meet someone this year but then we have to break up to go travelling. These are bad reasons. I don't want to revolve my life around a relationship anymore. I have to get to a place where I'm living my life for me and happy being alone and then I will be able to have a healthy mature relationship. Plus even if I never teach in the uk it won't exactly be a waste because I'd be teaching when I was abroad anyway.

I had to text him today to sort out some practical matters. It was civil but weird talking like we're basically strangers. Dunno what I was expecting really. I think a small part of me was hoping he'd say he missed me or something. Dunno. I'm doing ok today and looking forward to the future. I don't want to get to complacent though because I'm so up and down atm it's really annoying.
Reply 83
You're doing really well - it's only been a week and a bit, but you're getting there. Do what you want, for you. If he wants you back, he will have to work around your plans. It's probably for the best that he didn't say he missed you, as hard as it is to cope with.
Original post by Anonymous
That was my first thought but they don't do deferrals. Also they HAVE to interview you in person so if I was travelling that would cause problems. I think I'm going to do it tbh. I can go travelling after. I think part of the reason I want to go travelling first is because I'm thinking I'll go travelling and then I'll come back and we'll get back together (not happening lets face it, we're not living in an america sitcom) or even based on other men like I was thinking what about if I meet someone this year but then we have to break up to go travelling. These are bad reasons. I don't want to revolve my life around a relationship anymore. I have to get to a place where I'm living my life for me and happy being alone and then I will be able to have a healthy mature relationship. Plus even if I never teach in the uk it won't exactly be a waste because I'd be teaching when I was abroad anyway.

I had to text him today to sort out some practical matters. It was civil but weird talking like we're basically strangers. Dunno what I was expecting really. I think a small part of me was hoping he'd say he missed me or something. Dunno. I'm doing ok today and looking forward to the future. I don't want to get to complacent though because I'm so up and down atm it's really annoying.

Its easy to want to run away from the situation and I can totally understand that because I really wanted to move away from the city I live in with this d-bag, especially there's a chance of meeting him (actually that has happen, I saw him waiting for his date and he didn't see me....so I ran Lol ) but you know thinking about it, if I keep running away when things go bad it won't look good on me and also a very bad habit (and expensive) to have and I wouldn't have learnt how to be strong in sense of self. Don't just travel to get away from him, travel because you want to travel. Self development and soul searching. experience new things while NOT HOLDING ONTO THE PAST or your trip won't be as rich as you want them to. Don't have any expectations of him now, you don't have to do that anymore, you are free from further disappointments of unfulfilled expectations. And if you had insecurity or worry a lot during the relationship. No more gone puff.
Reply 85

Hmm, you're taking this pretty well atm. A break up is pretty hard but at least you're moving on well from this.
I did think about asking for some mild antidepressants from the doctor but I think that's a bit hasty and not sure they would prescribe it,

don't they take a couple of weeks to kick in anyway? Hopefully I'll be feeling better by then anyway.

Also when I go to my grandparents house My really spiteful aunt with be living there, she hates me for some reason and I know she will be taking pleasure in my misery (even though her life is completely **** anyway) and I just hope she doesn't say anything or gloat. My whole family really liked him and thought we'd be together always so that makes it hard too.

I'm trying to not look at the rose tinted glasses but even when I accept there were **** bits I can't see anything that I think should have been a reason for ending it

I wouldn't take anti-depressants unless you experienced depression before this break-up and you feel it has brought on another episode. There is doubt that SSRIs even work unless you are severely clinically depressed:- http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13375-prozac-does-not-work-in-majority-of-depressed-patients.html A one-off trauma does not necessarily cause severe depression.

I wouldn't take them in your position (if you have never experienced depression before) as this is likely to be a temporary trauma for you, especially if you have not had depression in the past. Anti-depressants are also not without their side effects so you shouldn't take them lightly for something temporary. I suggest that if you are still in a deeply depressed low mood, for a while after this break-up, perhaps a few months, you could then look into discussing treatment, perhaps counselling as a first port of call. I would just give it time for now and see how you go.

By the way, I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. I was dumped when I was in my home town with no friends around while he was still living in my University town. I thought my world had ended I loved him so much and, like you, I had become close to his friends as well. It did take me a while to get over it but in the end I found someone even better for me so it was well worth the wait. In a way he did me a favour. If I had stayed with him I think I might well have been a weaker character as I was very needy back then and it kicked me into touch.
Find somebody knew.
Reply 88
Hey guys :smile:

It's the OP here. I don't know if I'm allowed to bump threads like this but I felt like posting an update. Anyway, I did end going abroad and it was 100 percent the right decision for me. I have decided I don't want to be a teacher and I am going to start working really hard towards doing something that I really want to do because I've come to realise that I can only rely on myself and I need to be happy with my life without anyone else in it.

I have had very very limited contact with the ex since this thread. Just a couple of messages regarding practical matters. I have to say I now have absolutely no desire to get back together with him. I don't even want to be his friend which I actually find sad in a way. I'm not mad at him. Him breaking up with me was probably the best thing that's ever happened to me. I found out he had a new gf the other day and whilst it was a temporary shock I got over it in about 5 minutes and I don't really care anymore. So if anyone out there is going through what I was going through 8 months ago know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel! If I have any advice to give you it's to cut contact. Definitely the best thing I did. Honestly, not to sound arrogant but I'm incredibly proud of myself for having got through everything the way I did. I had no idea I was that strong and in a messy roundabout way all of this has actually increased my self confidence a lot.

On the downside I managed to get myself into a somewhat complicated situation with another guy about 3 months after this and I am currently dealing with the emotional fall out from that and it's not even finished yet. But such is life. **** happens, I know I'm strong enough to get through it when I have to :smile:
Reply 89
Hey guys :smile:

It's the OP here. I don't know if I'm allowed to bump threads like this but I felt like posting an update. Anyway, I did end going abroad and it was 100 percent the right decision for me. I have decided I don't want to be a teacher and I am going to start working really hard towards doing something that I really want to do because I've come to realise that I can only rely on myself and I need to be happy with my life without anyone else in it.

I have had very very limited contact with the ex since this thread. Just a couple of messages regarding practical matters. I have to say I now have absolutely no desire to get back together with him. I don't even want to be his friend which I actually find sad in a way. I'm not mad at him. Him breaking up with me was probably the best thing that's ever happened to me. I found out he had a new gf the other day and whilst it was a temporary shock I got over it in about 5 minutes and I don't really care anymore. So if anyone out there is going through what I was going through 8 months ago know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel! If I have any advice to give you it's to cut contact. Definitely the best thing I did. Honestly, not to sound arrogant but I'm incredibly proud of myself for having got through everything the way I did. I had no idea I was that strong and in a messy roundabout way all of this has actually increased my self confidence a lot.

On the downside I managed to get myself into a somewhat complicated situation with another guy about 3 months after this and I am currently dealing with the emotional fall out from that and it's not even finished yet. But such is life. **** happens, I know I'm strong enough to get through it when I have to :smile:

Awhhh, I was wondering why this old post came up, I love it when people update old threads! Glad you're okay :redface:
Funny how things work out for the best!

I only just came across this thread, I'm going through something similar at the moment but it's been 4 months now, and I'm so much happier. My situation is pretty much a carbon copy of yours, except my ex has gone very rapidly downhill and is now a total idiot. Guess that's whoever is up there's way of saying that we deserve better.

I think sometimes in an ltr it's easy to lose sight of the fact that we should be doing things to make ourselves happy, not the other person. We have to learn to be ourselves, and also find out who that is. It's all too easy to lose yourself in someone else.

I'm glad you're doing well, OP. You're so strong:smile: good riddance to him hahaha! Good luck to the new girl, hey ;] she'll need it.
Unbreak my heart... unfortunately, men take our emotions and lives for granted and play with them like a toy, when they shouldn't be treated as such. Such a shame these things happen! I wish you the best and hope you recover from the devastating heartbreak in a timely manner! You deserve better! :smile:
Don't you love it when people bump a three year old thread...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending