The Student Room Group

Gender equality

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Boopho
Well you can't because you like to reject the ability to hold any common sense.

No. I'm using logic. Read up on what objectivity means in a philosophical context. Your view that women face more discrimination than men is not objective.
But common sense would tell you that more countries deny women rights than they do men, that is a fact and basic way to quantify oppression just as it could with gay oppression. Not to mention the basic acknowledgement of reality needed to observe how the influence of sexist/homophobic religious values are still inherent in many societies.

What about other forms of discrimination, besides legal rights? You do realise that there are some social discriminations for example. Please give me data of all types of discrimination that every single human being on this planet has faced. And can you please quantify each type of discrimination? What number would you give for not being able to vote? What number would you give for being sent off to war to die?

I could argue not being allowed to serve is just an example of more sexism.

:facepalm2:

You missed the point. The point is our views of what discrimination is worse than the other is subjective. Not objective. Hence you cannot objectively claim that women face more discrimination than men.

By women?

So you think men can't be sexist against men?

That not exclusively sexist.

In your opinion.

No but most people would be able to figure out not having the right to vote beats paying more car insurance.

No. It's not an objective truth. It's a subjective view.

By your logic it is impossible to prove any discrimination because people may disagree on the word. It's frankly one of the most idiotic thinks I've ever heard.

I'm not sure what point you're making here. But as I said before, our opinions on what discrimination is worse than the other is subjective. Hence you cannot make any objective claim that one gender is discriminated against more than the other.

Totally because no sexist attitudes still exist in the west.

Men and women are almost equal in legal terms in the West.

As far as other forms of sexism is concerned, there's no proof that women face more discrimination than men. Hence feminism is flawed in focusing mainly on women based on the unproven assertion that women face more discrimination than men.

Once again, I'll ask:

Give me data of all the discrimination that every single human being on this planet goes through. Quantify each type of discrimination. Then show us which gender is discriminated against more than the other.

Hint: You can't. Because you are not omniscient (you cannot know the discrimination that every single human being goes through). And you cannot give an objective quantification of each type of discrimination.
Reply 81
Original post by conquer
So I take it that you can't prove women face more discrimination than men?

Thought so.

Think twice before you speak.

Any one can prove that with ease, it saddens me you think it needs proving. What's next? Would you like me to show you gay people receive more discrimination than straight people? The sky is blue and the grass is green?

Why does it still happen even though illegal? Where's your outrage at it not being illegal in other places.

Why aren't women allowed to drive in saudi arabia?

Why aren't women allowed to vote in some places?

Why are women forced to cover up in some places?

Why must women face criminal charges for not wearing the hajab in some places?

Why do women get told they deserved or are responsible to be raped in India and many other places?

Why do women get acid attacks thrown in India?

Why does approximately 25% of the world's population lives in countries with highly restrictive abortion laws?

Why is rape still legal in marriage in some places?

The United Nations Population Fund estimates that 5,000 women and girls a year are murdered worldwide in honor killings. That’s more than 13 per day. Other groups believe that the number could be as high as 20,000 honor killings per year, which would be the equivalent of 54 women killed every day.

More than three women per day were killed by a husband or boyfriend in 2005, according to Bureau of Justice Statistics figures.

Afghanistan: The average Afghan girl will live to only 45 one year less than an Afghan male. After three decades of war and religion-based repression, an overwhelming number of women are illiterate. More than half of all brides are under 16, and one woman dies in childbirth every half hour. Domestic violence is so common that 87 per cent of women admit to experiencing it. But more than one million widows are on the streets, often forced into prostitution. Afghanistan is the only country in which the female suicide rate is higher than that of males.

Democratic Republic of Congo: In the eastern DRC, a war that claimed more than 3 million lives has ignited again, with women on the front line. Rapes are so brutal and systematic that UN investigators have called them unprecedented. Many victims die; others are infected with HIV and left to look after children alone. Foraging for food and water exposes women to yet more violence. Without money, transport or connections, they have no way of escape.

Iraq: The U.S.-led invasion to "liberate" Iraq from Saddam Hussein has imprisoned women in an inferno of sectarian violence that targets women and girls. The literacy rate, once the highest in the Arab world, is now among the lowest as families fear risking kidnapping and rape by sending girls to school. Women who once went out to work stay home. Meanwhile, more than 1 million women have been displaced from their homes, and millions more are unable to earn enough to eat.

Nepal: Early marriage and childbirth exhaust the country's malnourished women, and one in 24 will die in pregnancy or childbirth. Daughters who aren't married off may be sold to traffickers before they reach their teens. Widows face extreme abuse and discrimination if they're labelled bokshi, meaning witches. A low-level civil war between government and Maoist rebels has forced rural women into guerrilla groups.

Sudan: While Sudanese women have made strides under reformed laws, the plight of those in Darfur, in western Sudan, has worsened. Abduction, rape or forced displacement have destroyed more than 1 million women's lives since 2003. The janjaweed militias have used systematic rape as a demographic weapon, but access to justice is almost impossible for the female victims of violence.

Other countries in which women's lives are significantly worse than men's include Guatemala, where an impoverished female underclass faces domestic violence, rape and the second-highest rate of HIV/AIDS after sub-Saharan Africa. An epidemic of gruesome unsolved murders has left hundreds of women dead, some of their bodies left with hate messages.

In Mali, one of the world's poorest countries, few women escape the torture of genital mutilation, many are forced into early marriages, and one in 10 dies in pregnancy or childbirth.

In the tribal border areas of Pakistan, women are gang-raped as punishment for men's crimes. But honour killing is more widespread, and a renewed wave of religious extremism is targeting female politicians, human rights workers and lawyers.

In oil-rich Saudi Arabia, women are treated as lifelong dependents, under the guardianship of a male relative. Deprived of the right to drive a car or mix with men publicly, they are confined to strictly segregated lives on pain of severe punishment.

In the Somali capital, Mogadishu, a vicious civil war has put women, who were the traditional mainstay of the family, under attack. In a society that has broken down, women are exposed daily to rape, dangerously poor health care for pregnancy, and attack by armed gangs.
Reply 82
Original post by conquer
No. I'm using logic. Read up on what objectivity means in a philosophical context. Your view that women face more discrimination than men is not objective.

And I suggest you read this:

In epistemology, a statement (claim, assertion, proposition) is epistemologically objective if its truth value can be determined intersubjectively by generally-agreed methods or procedures. To say a statement is epistemologically objective is not to say the statement is true; it's just to say we could figure out a public method for determining whether or not the statement is true.

A claim is NOT automatically a "matter of opinion" simply because people disagree about it. People disagree about both matters of opinion AND about matters of fact. But the two cases are quite different. The taste of the ice cream is metaphysically subjective; it exists ONLY as experienced. So the truth value of the statement "Vanilla ice cream tastes better than chocolate ice cream", under ordinary circumstances of discourse, depends primarily on each individual's metaphysically subjective experience of the taste. The issue is a mere matter of taste. On the other hand, ETs either have or haven't visited the earth, and at some future time, on the basis of shared evidence and reasoning, we could reasonably be said to have objectively determined the truth-value of the statement "As of (some date) ETs have visited" whatever the truth value turns out to be. The relevant events that would determine the truth value either have or have not occurred: ETs have visited or they haven't, independently of anyone's experience.

Please give me data of all types of discrimination that every single human being on this planet has faced. And can you please quantify each type of discrimination? What number would you give for not being able to vote? What number would you give for being sent off to war to die?

So there's is no way of saying black people faced more societal oppression than whites before the civil rights act in America? :rolleyes:

You missed the point. The point is our views of what discrimination is worse than the other is subjective. Not objective. Hence you cannot objectively claim that women face more discrimination than men.

Well you can just not which one is worse. When saying drinking bleach is worse than drinking coke the truth of that statement can be generally agreed upon through common sense.

Men and women are almost equal in legal terms in the West.

I said attitudes though. :rolleyes:

As far as other forms of sexism is concerned, there's no proof that women face more discrimination than men. Hence feminism is flawed in focusing mainly on women based on the unproven assertion that women face more discrimination than men.

But there is plenty of proof. Such as I can objectively state there are more places where men can vote where women can't and there are none where women can vote where men can't. That's the truth.

Hint: You can't. Because you are not omniscient (you cannot know the discrimination that every single human being goes through). And you cannot give an objective quantification of each type of discrimination.

But to figure out who receives the most individuals are irrelevant.
You can easily gain a sense of societal and legal oppression through copious amounts of evidence of laws and recorded attitudes. And yes women in Saudi Arabia have it worse than men in the uk, if you disagree then make an argument, just calling subjective isn't disproving it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
I can't get the link to display properly because I'm on an iPhone but go on you tube and search Jason Katz TED talk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by Boopho

I'm tired atm. So i'll reply tomorrow.

But can you also please tell me why you think women are more discriminated against in the West than men?
Reply 86
Original post by conquer
I'm tired atm. So i'll reply tomorrow.

But can you also please tell me why you think women are more discriminated against in the West than men?

Your reply will just more fruitless denial that anyone can figure out who faces more discrimination. :rolleyes:

I've never made that claim, can you please tell me why you can't read?
Reply 87
Original post by Boopho
Your reply will just more fruitless denial that anyone can figure out who faces more discrimination. :rolleyes:

I've never made that claim, can you please tell me why you can't read?

Let me rephrase the question.

Should egalitarianism replace feminism in Western countries?

And can you provide sources for all the discriminations against women that you posted to me?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boopho

Both before and after the 1832 Reform Act there were some who advocated that women should have the right to vote. After the enactment of the Reform Act enactment the MP Henry Hunt argued that any woman who was single, a tax payer and had sufficient property should be allowed to vote. One such wealthy woman, Mary Smith, was used in this speech as an example.

If she was arguing for this surely it was not in place at some point, which contradicts your statement. Again, source?

Sorry I wasn't aware that we was talking about the 18th century. What does this have to do with modern feminism? Nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's not. The fact that women are victims of violence is bad but it doesn't mean that the people committing the violence are men.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by conquer
Once again, I'll ask:

Give me data of all the discrimination that every single human being on this planet goes through. Quantify each type of discrimination. Then show us which gender is discriminated against more than the other.

If you cannot give an objective quantification of discrimination then on what basis do you say that feminism isn't needed in the west? You yourself stated that you cannot know the discrimination every human goes through, so how can you prove that women are not discriminated against any more?

It also amuses me how every one of these threads seem to turn into a pissing contest over who has it worst. How about - feminism is needed, MRA's are needed and egalitarianism is needed. All 3 groups have members who are helping to improve rights, all this criticism and arguing just make things worse.
Reply 91
Original post by Dungarees
If you cannot give an objective quantification of discrimination then on what basis do you say that feminism isn't needed in the west? You yourself stated that you cannot know the discrimination every human goes through, so how can you prove that women are not discriminated against any more?

I didn't make any claim that women aren't discriminated against anymore. My point is that if we don't know which sex faces more discrimination than the other, then the sensible approach should be gender egalitarianism, whereby men and women work together to equally address men and women's issues.

It also amuses me how every one of these threads seem to turn into a pissing contest over who has it worst. How about - feminism is needed, MRA's are needed and egalitarianism is needed. All 3 groups have members who are helping to improve rights, all this criticism and arguing just make things worse.

The problem with feminism is that it includes many illogical theories and sexist claims that are not helping the West get to gender equality. Additionally, it contains many misandrists who have campaigned against men's rights. MRA is merely a means to stop men getting ****ed over by feminists.

I would prefer gender egalitarianism where men and women unify to improve the lives of both sexes.

However, I don't mind the existence of feminism in third world countries where some of women's rights (or lack of) are quite pitiful.
Reply 92
Original post by conquer
I didn't make any claim that women aren't discriminated against anymore. My point is that if we don't know which sex faces more discrimination than the other, then the sensible approach should be gender egalitarianism, whereby men and women work together to equally address men and women's issues.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think it's necessarily wrong to have separate groups as long as they get the job done. However in practice I agree it's probably best to start doing that as people seem to have an irrational hatred of feminism and the name has been tainted.

Original post by conquer
The problem with feminism is that it includes many illogical theories and sexist claims that are not helping the West get to gender equality. Additionally, it contains many misandrists who have campaigned against men's rights. MRA is merely a means to stop men getting ****ed over by feminists.

I would prefer gender egalitarianism where men and women unify to improve the lives of both sexes.

However, I don't mind the existence of feminism in third world countries where some of women's rights (or lack of) are quite pitiful.

I think most feminist theories are sound, it's just radfems who spout illogical things and are misandrists, they're in the minority I'd say. I have also seen a shocking amount of sexism in MRA sites,I don't think they're entirely innocent either. But yes I agree, it would be nice if people worked together.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by Boopho

The United Nations Population Fund estimates that 5,000 women and girls a year are murdered worldwide in honor killings. That’s more than 13 per day. Other groups believe that the number could be as high as 20,000 honor killings per year, which would be the equivalent of 54 women killed every day.

More than three women per day were killed by a husband or boyfriend in 2005, according to Bureau of Justice Statistics figures.

Afghanistan: The average Afghan girl will live to only 45 one year less than an Afghan male. After three decades of war and religion-based repression, an overwhelming number of women are illiterate. More than half of all brides are under 16, and one woman dies in childbirth every half hour. Domestic violence is so common that 87 per cent of women admit to experiencing it. But more than one million widows are on the streets, often forced into prostitution. Afghanistan is the only country in which the female suicide rate is higher than that of males.

Democratic Republic of Congo: In the eastern DRC, a war that claimed more than 3 million lives has ignited again, with women on the front line. Rapes are so brutal and systematic that UN investigators have called them unprecedented. Many victims die; others are infected with HIV and left to look after children alone. Foraging for food and water exposes women to yet more violence. Without money, transport or connections, they have no way of escape.

Iraq: The U.S.-led invasion to "liberate" Iraq from Saddam Hussein has imprisoned women in an inferno of sectarian violence that targets women and girls. The literacy rate, once the highest in the Arab world, is now among the lowest as families fear risking kidnapping and rape by sending girls to school. Women who once went out to work stay home. Meanwhile, more than 1 million women have been displaced from their homes, and millions more are unable to earn enough to eat.

Nepal: Early marriage and childbirth exhaust the country's malnourished women, and one in 24 will die in pregnancy or childbirth. Daughters who aren't married off may be sold to traffickers before they reach their teens. Widows face extreme abuse and discrimination if they're labelled bokshi, meaning witches. A low-level civil war between government and Maoist rebels has forced rural women into guerrilla groups.

Sudan: While Sudanese women have made strides under reformed laws, the plight of those in Darfur, in western Sudan, has worsened. Abduction, rape or forced displacement have destroyed more than 1 million women's lives since 2003. The janjaweed militias have used systematic rape as a demographic weapon, but access to justice is almost impossible for the female victims of violence.

Other countries in which women's lives are significantly worse than men's include Guatemala, where an impoverished female underclass faces domestic violence, rape and the second-highest rate of HIV/AIDS after sub-Saharan Africa. An epidemic of gruesome unsolved murders has left hundreds of women dead, some of their bodies left with hate messages.

In Mali, one of the world's poorest countries, few women escape the torture of genital mutilation, many are forced into early marriages, and one in 10 dies in pregnancy or childbirth.

In the tribal border areas of Pakistan, women are gang-raped as punishment for men's crimes. But honour killing is more widespread, and a renewed wave of religious extremism is targeting female politicians, human rights workers and lawyers.

In oil-rich Saudi Arabia, women are treated as lifelong dependents, under the guardianship of a male relative. Deprived of the right to drive a car or mix with men publicly, they are confined to strictly segregated lives on pain of severe punishment.

In the Somali capital, Mogadishu, a vicious civil war has put women, who were the traditional mainstay of the family, under attack. In a society that has broken down, women are exposed daily to rape, dangerously poor health care for pregnancy, and attack by armed gangs.

Please provide sources for these claims. Don't tell me this is the source: http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2008/03/08/ten_worst_countries_for_women.html, especially considering it was written in 2008, which is quite a while ago. I want peer-reviewed articles for some of the claims that have been made such as women being exposed daily to rape in Mogadishu or women being gang-raped as punishment for men's crimes.

And should gender egalitarianism replace feminism in Western countries? And what are your reasons.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by Boopho
... common sense would tell you that more countries deny women rights than they do men, that is a fact and basic way to quantify oppression just as it could with gay oppression.

Actually, that is clearly something that common sense cannot tell you.

However, facts and data CAN tell us which countries have laws denying women rights and which countries have laws denying men rights. Of course, we can argue about what is a 'right' but even if we take a simple baseline such as the UN Declaration of Human Rights (1949) we could get some data.

Of western nations, I don't know of a single one that denies a woman any such right. I have often asked feminists to name any such law and have never had a response.

Of western nations, most have at least one law that denies men at least one such right. Whether it be the UK's discriminatory rape laws, the USA's discriminatory suffrage law, Germany's ban on free speech against women but not against men, Norway's anti-meritocracy laws, etc. etc., the examples are out there for anyone to see.

Western nations aren't the world and aren't even 'most' nations. There are other countries with laws discriminating against women, just as there are others discriminating against men but I would need to see a lot more data to believe that "more countries deny women rights than they do men."
Original post by Boopho
Any one can prove that with ease, it saddens me you think it needs proving. What's next? Would you like me to show you gay people receive more discrimination than straight people? The sky is blue and the grass is green?

Why does it still happen even though illegal? Where's your outrage at it not being illegal in other places.

Why aren't women allowed to drive in saudi arabia?

Why aren't women allowed to vote in some places?

Why are women forced to cover up in some places?

Why must women face criminal charges for not wearing the hajab in some places?

Why do women get told they deserved or are responsible to be raped in India and many other places?

Why do women get acid attacks thrown in India?

Why does approximately 25% of the world's population lives in countries with highly restrictive abortion laws?

Why is rape still legal in marriage in some places?

It's idiotic to say 'we need feminism' and then cite foreign examples. So dumb.
Reply 96
Original post by conquer
You can't prove one gender is discriminated against more than the other.

Why?

Because you can't quantify oppression/discrimination absolutely.

I don't see why not. Equality under the law is an absolute. Though it has grey areas in interpretation and application, the letter of the law is an absolute matter.

In no western country that I'm aware of are women discriminated against by the letter of the law.

In several western countries, such as USA, UK, Germany, Norway, there are laws discriminating against men.

I think that is an absolute measure of sexual discrimination.

The issue of the law not being applied equally, such as women receiving lighter sentences in court or almost always men being arrested for reciprocal domestic violence, is a more tricky area perhaps. In those cases, we can only look for the reasoning behind it and if the only answer is the different sex of the people, then we can determine that it is because of sexual discrimination.
Reply 97
Original post by ppandazi
Violence against women is a man's issue!

Since the vast majority of men are protectors and carers and always have been, violence against women always has been a male issue.

Unfortunately, the rising tide of violence against men BY women is meaning that fewer men are willing to step into that protective role that feels so natural to them.

Original post by chappers-94
The fact that women are victims of violence is bad but it doesn't mean that the people committing the violence are men.

Of course is doesn't. Nor does it mean they weren't perpetrating violence at the time. Nor does it mean that women generally receive a lot less violence than men. In fact, on that latter point, it is a matter of record in all countries that men are more likely to be the victims of violence than women.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by Darien
I don't see why not. Equality under the law is an absolute. Though it has grey areas in interpretation and application, the letter of the law is an absolute matter.

In no western country that I'm aware of are women discriminated against by the letter of the law.

In several western countries, such as USA, UK, Germany, Norway, there are laws discriminating against men.

I think that is an absolute measure of sexual discrimination.

The issue of the law not being applied equally, such as women receiving lighter sentences in court or almost always men being arrested for reciprocal domestic violence, is a more tricky area perhaps. In those cases, we can only look for the reasoning behind it and if the only answer is the different sex of the people, then we can determine that it is because of sexual discrimination.

I'm talking about things like whether conscription for men is a bigger discrimination than women not being able to vote.

We can't quantify which discrimination is worse than the other. Therefore, we cannot make any objective conclusion that one gender faces more discrimination than the other.
Reply 99
Original post by Snagprophet
It's idiotic to say 'we need feminism' and then cite foreign examples. So dumb.

Dumb or irrelevant. In the context of the OP, it is especially notable that if one asks the equivalent questions of how MEN are doing, the answer is often "worse," if anyone has even bothered doing the research.

In some areas, it's not even a matter of anything even being especially bad at a societal level. It's just different to how "we" might do things and when an individual case is looked at we can say "how terrible that is done" when actually, the individual case might be quite rare and in general doing things the way they do, works for them.

To pretend that a solution to a general societal problem that affects everyone can be solved by divisive policies that address only one sex is daft at best, nasty propaganda and a form of international terrorism at worst.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending