Turn on thread page Beta

need advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    mum and dad say i need to think about getting a job in manchester in the summer as we only live 35mins away (on the train) and am goin to uni there in sep (hopefully - )

i know im bein stupidly fussy but i would luuuurve a job in a trendy shop in selfridges or harvey nic's. ive been lookin for vacancies on their websites in advance just to get an idea what they're lookin for and they all say that retail experience is v.v preferable, i have none

My wonderful cv consists of 10hrs a week answerin fones in a taxi office which i only did for about a year and quit 18mths ago. So, dya think if asked one of these places for some unpaid work experience i could get a part time job from it? or is it likely they'll just use me for the 2 weeks or so and offer me nothin??

i have no chance of securin any work experience or anythin b4 summer cos am up the wall with exams an stuff til then

any advice is really appreciated
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prada_princess)
    mum and dad say i need to think about getting a job in manchester in the summer as we only live 35mins away (on the train) and am goin to uni there in sep (hopefully - )

i know im bein stupidly fussy but i would luuuurve a job in a trendy shop in selfridges or harvey nic's. ive been lookin for vacancies on their websites in advance just to get an idea what they're lookin for and they all say that retail experience is v.v preferable, i have none

My wonderful cv consists of 10hrs a week answerin fones in a taxi office which i only did for about a year and quit 18mths ago. So, dya think if asked one of these places for some unpaid work experience i could get a part time job from it? or is it likely they'll just use me for the 2 weeks or so and offer me nothin??

i have no chance of securin any work experience or anythin b4 summer cos am up the wall with exams an stuff til then

xx
    Shops are always looking for enthusiastic people to work for them. If you do some work experience, it's a 2 week long job interview! You'll have to learn quickly, be enthusiastic about the shop and work hard. They might not offer you something straight away (if there's nothing available) but they'll keep your details. If you've made a good impression they'll be begging you to come back!

Also, it's something really good to put on your CV and will stand out when you apply for other shop work.

Write to these companies early (about a month before the summer holidays start). If you haven't heard back by the time you want to start work, phone them and try to arrange something. Join a few agencies in Manchester and they might be able to sort something out for you.

Hope this helps!
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    One way to get experience in retail is to volunteer for a local charity shop for one day a week - it's not glamourous but it does get you something on your CV after only a few months. Plus you're helping charities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prada_princess)

xx
    You need to be over 18 to work there...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.