The Student Room Group

Year 10 Science Mock Exam :(

I did so bad in my Biology mock exam. I got a U. My Biology teacher told us on Monday when we did our Chemistry( one mark off a C :u) that the Biology exam had been moved to Thursday because we had our Maths on the same day and it wouldnt be fair. So I focused on my maths revision on that night. On Tuesday, my Chemistry teacher said we still had to do the Biology exam in her lesson I started panicking. Now that U is going to drag my overall grade. I feeling very down and nearly crying. I spent hours revising and haven't been sleeping. I feel very stressed because someone said the mocks where going to determine what paper and what set Im going to be. I don't want to do foundation because the grade boundaries are higher to achieve (doing foundation in maths :/ ) It doesn't help with my anxiety. I can't help but feel like the dumbest person because I don't do well on Science or Maths. English, History and RE are more of my subjects but most jobs need maths or science.
I don't know what to do anymore.

*Did my Physics today :/*
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
It's okay - it's only a mock exam! It doesn't count towards your final grade, but it might affect your predicted grade, which isn't that big of a deal. Your predicted grades are sent to colleges, yes, but as long as you look to get 5 A*-C (generally, each college is slightly different), you'll get into a college :smile:

As for your set, maybe it will determine that, but what set you're in doesn't matter. You can still try your best and revise for the exams and do well, regardless of whether you're in the top set or 3rd set. The tier of the paper could be affected, but if you're put in to do Foundation and you don't want to do it (or vice versa), talk to your teacher, the head of Science or the exams officer. I know the tiers at my school were changing a couple of weeks before the actual exam, and it was fine.

Just don't panic about it. When your real exam comes around, revise for it really well and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 2
It's unlikely that they will force you to do foundation if you really want to do higher so I wouldn't worry too much. Our school were actually trying to convince people who wanted to do foundation to try harder and go for higher so I'm sure they'll allow you to. Mocks really don't matter, I did quite badly in mine and it didn't seem to affect me so I wouldn't worry.
Reply 3
Mock exams mean nothing
Original post by Toriar
It's unlikely that they will force you to do foundation if you really want to do higher so I wouldn't worry too much. Our school were actually trying to convince people who wanted to do foundation to try harder and go for higher so I'm sure they'll allow you to. Mocks really don't matter, I did quite badly in mine and it didn't seem to affect me so I wouldn't worry.

Our school did the opposite.
Reply 5
I'm sure as long as your class work has been better than U standard they will take that into account more than one exam
Reply 6
Mock exams...........:couchpotato:
The grade boundaries are higher because the questions are incredibly easier to do.
Reply 8
Original post by Miracle Day
Our school did the opposite.

Oh maybe my school isn't the norm then, but either way don't worry OP if your work is normally better than that then the mock exam doesn't mean much.
Reply 9
Thanks guys! I feel a lot better :smile:
I was wondering can you do different tier papers in science?
Grade boundaries are high in foundation because the questions are easier than higher. If you aren't planning to take any further you could take foundation; aim for a C and focus on your strengths.
Though, otherwise convince your school to put you for higher and they should.

I was put for foundation for the Geography human paper, I was severely ill during the mock or something which impacted my grade - but I didn't tell any of the teachers. Then in September I went to my teacher after school and asked to do higher, she gave me a paper to do at home. I did it, in times conditions and got 97% or something then she was too shocked so she made me do another one in school, except I got 99% in that :biggrin: So I was allowed to take higher for the real exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by tazmin98
I did so bad in my Biology mock exam. I got a U. My Biology teacher told us on Monday when we did our Chemistry( one mark off a C :u) that the Biology exam had been moved to Thursday because we had our Maths on the same day and it wouldnt be fair. So I focused on my maths revision on that night. On Tuesday, my Chemistry teacher said we still had to do the Biology exam in her lesson I started panicking. Now that U is going to drag my overall grade. I feeling very down and nearly crying. I spent hours revising and haven't been sleeping. I feel very stressed because someone said the mocks where going to determine what paper and what set Im going to be. I don't want to do foundation because the grade boundaries are higher to achieve (doing foundation in maths :/ ) It doesn't help with my anxiety. I can't help but feel like the dumbest person because I don't do well on Science or Maths. English, History and RE are more of my subjects but most jobs need maths or science.
I don't know what to do anymore.

*Did my Physics today :/*

This is so annoying! I got a U in by GCSE Business Studies mock exam and was entered in foundation.

First of all explain the circumstances to the teacher/HoD who is entering you. If you have done better on some coursework then that can be used as an advantage too.
If they still don't agree to enter you in the higher paper bring your parents/carer. This can go further by persuading the school to give your class another chance in a different mock paper. :smile: Hope I could help!

p.s. In the end I did foundation and got C. If I did higher paper, that would have been a B since I had full marks on the coursework. I kind of regret not paying for a higher paper entry as a private candidate...
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest