This discussion is closed.
Baby_Angelz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes.. It's definitely worth it...

How many people can out there can get a decent job without a degree? Only a tiny whiny fraction... In their case, no matter how hardworking they are, luck is usually the deciding factor. Do you think you will be more lucky than the rest?

A degree is perhaps seen as a stepping stone that would further enhance your chances or rather beautified your qualification to obtain a firm foothold in the somewhat cruel and practical society of today.

If a degree ain't worth it, there won't be so many students doing it

On the contrary, i was just curious what makes you think a degree ain't worth it based on pragmatic grounds?
shazza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
can you get a decent job without one?
can't get a decent job with one!!!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shazza)
can't get a decent job with one!!!
Yes you can - it just takes a bit of time and patience and hard work

My sister got a graduate type job 2/3 years after graduating...sounds bad? She graduated with a pass (between a 3rd and a fail) from Wolverhampton University (or wally poly as it's known).

There is absolutely no way she would have managed to get that level of job if she'd gone straight into work after A levels - despite her grades her degree hugely improved her employability and her confidence and skills.
shazza
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well I hope your right, because at the minute, all I keep geting is "we will not be taking your aplication further, after looking at your CV we are sure you will find something more suited to your degree very soon" Yeah right, seeing as I ain't good enough to do TV design, they wont even give me a chance to go for anything else, I could do web design, and be good at it, but no one will give me even an interview. I know I could do Visual merchandising, cuz i have work experience, but people don't see past the television design.
Stacking shelves for me then!!
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why are people focusing on the employment benefits of a degree? I am going to university because I love my subject and really want to study it to a high level. For me, that is what makes a degree worth all the cost and effort it requires.
shazza
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mikesgt2)
Why are people focusing on the employment benefits of a degree? I am going to university because I love my subject and really want to study it to a high level. For me, that is what makes a degree worth all the cost and effort it requires.
ok, enjoyment is good, yes. BUT how does that pay for a life!!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well I hope your right, because at the minute, all I keep geting is "we will not be taking your aplication further, after looking at your CV we are sure you will find something more suited to your degree very soon" Yeah right, seeing as I ain't good enough to do TV design, they wont even give me a chance to go for anything else, I could do web design, and be good at it, but no one will give me even an interview. I know I could do Visual merchandising, cuz i have work experience, but people don't see past the television design.
Stacking shelves for me then!!
ah graphic design is a real bugger to get into - degree or no degree - it's all about contacts as much as talent/experience

Most successful designer I know of has recently gone freelance (after spending all his working life working for companies) he's loving it and doing very well: http://www.dba.uk.net/

Might be worth approaching some charities/local groups etc and offering to do some voluntary work to build up your portfolio and get some good references (but you've probably already done that)
shazza
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
ah graphic design is a real bugger to get into - degree or no degree - it's all about contacts as much as talent/experience

Most successful designer I know of has recently gone freelance (after spending all his working life working for companies) he's loving it and doing very well: http://www.dba.uk.net/

Might be worth approaching some charities/local groups etc and offering to do some voluntary work to build up your portfolio and get some good references (but you've probably already done that)
I really like his website!! Yeah, I have done loads of work for free, in tv, interior design, designing brochures, websites, powerpoint shows, I can't do that when I graduate, I have commitments! it does really make it feel like a waste of time!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I really like his website!! Yeah, I have done loads of work for free, in tv, interior design, designing brochures, websites, powerpoint shows, I can't do that when I graduate, I have commitments! it does really make it feel like a waste of time!
You'll be fine - it took me 9 months after graduating to find this job (although I graduated still not really knowing what I wanted to do). I was restricted because I didn't want to move away from the area and most "graduate" jobs basically involve companies employing you because they know they can send you anywhere in the country/world so long as the pay is half decent.

I spent my 9 months temping and learnt a huge amount (I was still in learning mode from the degree so just soaked up anything and everything) and my assignment actually led me into this job.

Are you looking to stay in the nottingham area (and can you drive - if so how far away would you be willing to work).

(I'm not being nosy - feel free to tell me to mind my own business - but I'm always on the lookout for jobs for friends/family/relations/colleagues etc and it's no bother to add an extra possible to the list if you want me to keep an eye out (no promises though))
malledo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It is as much about the people you know as much as it is about what you know. This is common for most types of work. I know it is unfair but it just seems to be the way it is.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mikesgt2)

Too right.
_GáMMá_
Report 16 years ago
Yes, a degree is worth it....

You may be wasting more time, but by getting a degree, you have a wider range of jobs available to you, that you can't get without a degree, and also, even if you don't need a degree for a placement, it gives you an advantage over others that apply without a degree.
_GáMMá_
Report 16 years ago
It makes it much easier to find more jobs, and better jobs, and you'll benefit out of it in the end...
DRS
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MuniE)
DRS quick question,do you know the power setting I should use for engine on stalls? is it 1500rpm? im on cessna 150
Well, I fly a PA-38 Tomahawk, however the setting I use is 1,500rpm for stalls. I am shortly moving onto a C172, after I checkride it with my instructor.

Any other questions? or maybe I should ask you?

Feel free to ask more (although I struggle to see the relevancy with degrees!)
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have this problem. I'm in year 12 at the moment and will probably go to university. However I don't know what I want to study or what I want to be when I'm older and I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth all the money it will cost. At my school all the teachers are like 'university this' and 'university that', it seems like there isn't any other option. I want a good job so i feel I have to go to uni. What do you think I should do?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I have this problem. I'm in year 12 at the moment and will probably go to university. However I don't know what I want to study or what I want to be when I'm older and I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth all the money it will cost. At my school all the teachers are like 'university this' and 'university that', it seems like there isn't any other option. I want a good job so i feel I have to go to uni. What do you think I should do?
I would go to university as you will have far more chances ,in real terms University does not cost that much money considering you will probably end up earning more. Its a gamble though. Also college/school tutors are hightly biased.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads