The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy Undergraduate Entry 2014

Hello all,
Just thought I'd open a discussion so that we could all discuss applications, personal statements, voluntary work and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for making this thread!

I've been interested in this course for at least a year or so. I actually have work experience at a hospital tomorrow, so I'm really looking forward to that!

What are you studying? I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, English Lang and Psychology (dropping Chemistry though)
Reply 3
Ah cool I've done my AS year already. Sadly I only got an E in psychology so not going to be able to get a good enough grade to carry it on! I did get told that they'd accept sociology at a high grade though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ooh okay. Well I got a D in my first Biology exam in Jan, so retaking that - hoping for a B. Then should be getting an A in English and B/A in psychology. Fingers crossed for AS results!

Where are you/have you applied to? I'm looking mainly at Sheffield, de Montfort, Leeds met, Newcastle and Birmingham City
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm hoping to study Speech and language therapy in 2014! I'm trying to get some experience but I really think of where to start, any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Contact the speech and language therapist at your local hospital. They're usually more than willing to offer shadowing. Also just keep an eye out for relative volunteering work e.g working with kids, people who've had strokes and so on :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by saraw26
Ooh okay. Well I got a D in my first Biology exam in Jan, so retaking that - hoping for a B. Then should be getting an A in English and B/A in psychology. Fingers crossed for AS results!

Where are you/have you applied to? I'm looking mainly at Sheffield, de Montfort, Leeds met, Newcastle and Birmingham City

I'm hoping for Newcastle but also applying Leeds met, Manchester and Edinburgh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by abchi
I'm hoping to study Speech and language therapy in 2014! I'm trying to get some experience but I really think of where to start, any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, I have been lucky to get shadowing, however it is very difficult to get. So anything in the area of working with children and elderly people is relevant.
Reply 9
Original post by Kirstycp
I'm hoping for Newcastle but also applying Leeds met, Manchester and Edinburgh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh okay. Have you been to the Newcastle open day? I'm going on the 28th to look there
Reply 10
Original post by saraw26
Ooh okay. Have you been to the Newcastle open day? I'm going on the 28th to look there

No I haven't been yet! Is that June 28th?
I feel very unorganised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hi everyone :biggrin:

I'm looking into applying to do an undergraduate Speech and Language Therapy degree, starting in 2014 and thought I'd start a thread so that anyone else thinking of doing the same can post things too!

Seeing as the course is so competitive, I also thought it'd be nice for us to actually have somewhere where we can help each other, give each other advice and moral support etc. I know it seems quite soon to start a thread for 2014 entry but I just wanted to get the ball rolling :smile:

So I'll start with me: I've looked at Sheffield, Reading & Manchester Uni so far and am hoping to look round Newcastle, Leeds Met & maybe Manchester Met in the autumn. So far I love Sheffield the most but it only has 22 places for 2014! :O Reading has 28 and Manchester has 42 and in all honesty I'm just a tad scared at how few places there are...

I also wanted to share some advice if you're looking to talk to or get experience with an SLT but can't. I've started volunteering at my local Stroke Association group and some of the members bring their SLT's with them and also the lady running the group is an SLT herself! So that's one way of getting the chance to at least talk to an actual SLT (:

So yes, that's all for now and please feel free to post!
Reply 12
I went to the Newcaslte open day, it was great! Really like it there! I have Sheffield's open day on Wednesday so looking forward to that. Has anyone else been to any open days?
Reply 13
I went to Manchester met open day, I think it would be my last choice though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by abchi
I went to Manchester met open day, I think it would be my last choice though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I was going to visit there in Sept/Oct. What was it like? I assume not great..?
Reply 15
Hello, I am just about to start an Access to HE Health Professionals to study speech and language therapy at uni, has anybody on here been studied towards this with an access course qualification and did they find any of the uni interviews hard? I have been told stories of people not having sufficient entry requirements and although i have done my reasearch i was curious to hear from someboddy who has been through this and come out the other side. Many Thanks Zoe
Reply 16
Hi,
I was just about to start an access to HE course in health professions (distance learning), I'm going to be applying to Newcastle University, has anyone applied to this uni? I'm struggling with my personal statement I know what I want to say I just don't know how to put it :smile:
Reply 17
I am also starting access HE to Health Professionals this year and struggling with my personal statement.
Reply 18
Original post by Zoes353
I am also starting access HE to Health Professionals this year and struggling with my personal statement.

I know its quite a lot of pressure because this is one of the main reasons between being accepted or rejected.
Reply 19
Yeah, I need to start my personal statement soon, just need to get the first draft done and then go from there..

Quick Reply

Latest