The Student Room Group

Is anyone else feeling this spiral of negativity?

Basically I am most likely graduating in 2 weeks with a 2.1 in Law from Newcastle University. Whilst my grades have been fine for second and third year, they are not perfect. I have two thirds from first year and my A-Levels are ABB (with serious extenuating circumstances).

My main concern is not my grades really, even though they aren't great. My main concern is my lack of the holy grail of 'relevant expereince'. My work experience has been very limited. I have worked in a charity shop and did a mini pupillage, i have ran my own affiliate marketing business in my gap year and travelled. Not much more than that. But the problem is, to get experience i need experience, which means i am now effectively stuck in a difficult cycle.

I am applying to a lot of places but i just keep on getting continuously rejected. I plan on doing a masters degree in Economic History at the LSE but other than that I feel like i am stuck in a bit of a **** situation because of the continuous rejection emails.

Scroll to see replies

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that it's all going to be okay, because there's absolutely no guarantee. What I can tell you is that it's all a massive learning curve, and you'll get better at things as time progresses. It sounds really corny and cliché, but you need to have faith in yourself and know that things will be okay.
Reply 2
Look at the flip side of it, man! ABB and a 2:1 degree in Law from a red brick Uni. That's ****ing excellent. You're probs in the top 2% in the country in terms of educational achievement. Don't be so hard on yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by wanderlust.xx
I'm not going to sit here and tell you that it's all going to be okay, because there's absolutely no guarantee. What I can tell you is that it's all a massive learning curve, and you'll get better at things as time progresses. It sounds really corny and cliché, but you need to have faith in yourself and know that things will be okay.

I know it is not okay really, it is all a bit ****. I have a friend who is going to get a first in Law and he got rejected in his two Mcdonalds burger flipping applications.

I have another friend who graduated with a 2.1 in Law from Cambridge and he is doing postgraduate at Newcastle because he cannot get a job.
Reply 4
Original post by scriggy
Look at the flip side of it, man! ABB and a 2:1 degree in Law from a red brick Uni. That's ****ing excellent. You're probs in the top 2% in the country in terms of educational achievement. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Haha thanks, i know. I just really hoped to get a job by now from all that effort i put into studying for the degree.
Reply 5
Original post by Bud_Fox
I know it is not okay really, it is all a bit ****. I have a friend who is going to get a first in Law and he got rejected in his two Mcdonalds burger flipping applications.

I have another friend who graduated with a 2.1 in Law from Cambridge and he is doing postgraduate at Newcastle because he cannot get a job.

Why should McDonalds employ him, he is clearly a poor fit for their business
Reply 6
Original post by scrotgrot
Why should McDonalds employ him, he is clearly a poor fit for their business

Guy needs a job just as much as the next guy.
Reply 7
Original post by Bud_Fox
Guy needs a job just as much as the next guy.

Employers don't employ on that basis!

A lawyer is not likely to get a job in McDonalds, you'd want something with a bit more of a middle-class image like John Lewis or M&S
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by scrotgrot
Employers don't employ on that basis!

A lawyer is not likely to get a job in McDonalds, you'd want something with a bit more of a middle-class image like John Lewis or M&S

Hey, if the guy shows a passion for burger flipping i don't see a problem lol.
This may seem like bit of a downgrade but have a look at apprenticeships. They're a good way in.

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Types-of-Apprenticeships/Business-Administration-and-Law.aspx
Original post by Bud_Fox
Yeah, I bet what McDonalds really as an employee is someone with aspiration, a strong understanding of employment law and the pressing feeling he could be doing something better with his life.

You have good qualifications for mid level law, management, finance etc. graduate employers. What you need is good interview skills, the right approach to job application forms and some viable evidence of soft skills to set you apart from all the other adequately qualified people chasing these jobs.

Btw, what is it you actually want to do, you haven't said?
Reply 11
Original post by MancStudent098
Yeah, I bet what McDonalds really as an employee is someone with aspiration, a strong understanding of employment law and the pressing feeling he could be doing something better with his life.

You have good qualifications for mid level law, management, finance etc. graduate employers. What you need is good interview skills, the right approach to job application forms and some viable evidence of soft skills to set you apart from all the other adequately qualified people chasing these jobs.

Btw, what is it you actually want to do, you haven't said?

I want to get into Investment Banking, but it is a bit of a pipe dream at the minute. But, my parents are willing to fund a year at LSE for Economic History, and i am taking German lessons now that i have graduated. I am going to try my best to become business fluent in the language but i am totally new to it so that may take a while.

I will try my best with that, but i am happy to get any graduate job in finance really which has a good career progression.
Original post by Bud_Fox

All the evidence on his CV points to a burning passion for law, not burgers, they are not stupid, they'll know whatever he says is bull****.
Reply 13
I will start by saying, situated at the heart of London with a Masters from LSE, your chances will be better than most.

To give you that extra boost, however, I'd try to get a vaguely relevant volunteering job this summer, then use that experience to apply for something paid and part-time while you do your Masters. The LSE will have some kind of careers service and other networking opportunities - milk those for all their worth.

While it will be stressful because you'll probably have no free time, you'll at least be able to build your CV such that when you graduate you will have a year's worth of experience to boast about.
Original post by Bud_Fox
I want to get into Investment Banking, but it is a bit of a pipe dream at the minute. But, my parents are willing to fund a year at LSE for Economic History, and i am taking German lessons now that i have graduated. I am going to try my best to become business fluent in the language but i am totally new to it so that may take a while.

I will try my best with that, but i am happy to get any graduate job in finance really which has a good career progression.
Ok, reality check here, unless you are an exceptionally talented linguist you are not going to get 'business fluent' in the language in a 1-2 year space. It's also not going to give you much of an advantage in getting a job.

Personally I don't see the career value of the masters itself, but it does give you a breathing space to fix the lack of experience problem. I would be realistic about job prospects and widen your scope - try to get on internships in any free summer time between now and graduation from the masters - doesn't really matter what field - it's all valuable experience, although obviously finance ones may give you a straight in to a job. If you can't do that then get some part time work/voluntary work/extra curricular experience down. Anything where you can evidence soft skills like organisation, team work, keeping to deadlines, achieving goals etc. Finally, make full use of your careers service to review all stages of your application process. You will still have access to the guys at Newcastle, presumably for a few years and you'll get access to the ones in London.

There's no reason you can't get on a good finance/accountancy grad scheme if you get some basic EC or work experience down and learn how to sell yourself on application forms. If you've got specific questions about how/whether to apply for a job, there's plenty of people on here who can help, including me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
This is the problem, and how I see it. Trying to secure work experience at banks, big4 enterprises, even smaller firms is a tough one, even so, because they most definitely have dedicated 'graduate schemes' (which usually, although sometimes not explicitly stated, requires some form of work experience to be competitive). If you are looking to do anything like management, accountancy, finance, investment banking, consultancy, these are the best places to go. However, if one simply tries to request work experience with these companies, they will simply tell you to apply for the dedicated graduate schemes, where, you are thrust back into square 1 (catch 22). Simply put, trying to get that 'initial work experience' is a mountain of a task. This is the problem, most graduates are facing if they are trying to get onto the career ladder.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bud_Fox
Basically I am most likely graduating in 2 weeks with a 2.1 in Law from Newcastle University. Whilst my grades have been fine for second and third year, they are not perfect. I have two thirds from first year and my A-Levels are ABB (with serious extenuating circumstances).

My main concern is not my grades really, even though they aren't great. My main concern is my lack of the holy grail of 'relevant expereince'. My work experience has been very limited. I have worked in a charity shop and did a mini pupillage, i have ran my own affiliate marketing business in my gap year and travelled. Not much more than that. But the problem is, to get experience i need experience, which means i am now effectively stuck in a difficult cycle.

I am applying to a lot of places but i just keep on getting continuously rejected. I plan on doing a masters degree in Economic History at the LSE but other than that I feel like i am stuck in a bit of a **** situation because of the continuous rejection emails.

Please don't be disheartened, it's early days; you have worked hard and given yourself a fine educational pedigree so you are easily within the top few % of grads. You'll find that a degree in Law is one of the most portable degrees you can have and in general employers will look upon you favourably. Can I just offer one simple piece of advice - you may or may not have fallen into this trap, so I'll mention for everyone else's benefit... many grads with high grades and good degrees naturally end up applying to the largest businesses and the most competitive grad-schemes. Inevitably this creates a talent bottle-neck and many end up disappointed and disenfranchised due to the comparatively small number of opportunities available. The key here is competition and differentiation - it's very hard to set yourself aside when amongst distinguished competition, so why not focus initially on competing with comparatively weaker candidates for jobs in smaller businesses. Put yourself in a situation where you can shine; your career's a marathon not a sprint, so why not be a 'big fish in a small pond' for a while to get that initial springboard of experience - cream naturally floats to the top, you've got the rest of your life to excel and reach your full potential. Hope this helps in a roundabout sort of a way!
Reply 17
****ing hell, just got my grades this morning and scraped a 2.1 by the skin of my teeth. Got a 59 and ended up having to get bumped up one mark. Horrendous results to be honest, i had one fail this year in a 100% exam paper where i just ended up ****ing it up completely.
Reply 18
Original post by Checkpoint
This is the problem, and how I see it. Trying to secure work experience at banks, big4 enterprises, even smaller firms is a tough one, even so, because they most definitely have dedicated 'graduate schemes' (which usually, although sometimes not explicitly stated, requires some form of work experience to be competitive). If you are looking to do anything like management, accountancy, finance, investment banking, consultancy, these are the best places to go. However, if one simply tries to request work experience with these companies, they will simply tell you to apply for the dedicated graduate schemes, where, you are thrust back into square 1 (catch 22). Simply put, trying to get that 'initial work experience' is a mountain of a task. This is the problem, most graduates are facing if they are trying to get onto the career ladder.

I think the LSE option would be stupid now given that i just proved i suck academically by scraping a 2.1 . I failed a module, i have never failed anything before, this is horrendous. I can't believe i have just finished with a 59 and scraped a 2.1 for my degree. It is horrible.
Original post by Ben Smithwell
Put yourself in a situation where you can shine; your career's a marathon not a sprint, so why not be a 'big fish in a small pond' for a while to get that initial springboard of experience - cream naturally floats to the top, you've got the rest of your life to excel and reach your full potential. Hope this helps in a roundabout sort of a way!

Got any more clichés while you're at it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending