The Student Room Group

In a dilemma - got two job offers! Don't know which to choose! :O

A few weeks ago, I got a job offer, job A, with a good pay which I'm reasonably happy. But, the commute is quite far and I have to face the horrendous road congestion to go to the work place : /
Job A is very related to my academic qualification.
With job A, I can come to the office on selected days (made by the company); the rest I can do it at home.

I applied and went to some other interviews here and there but didn't get any offers. So, I thought that I'd just go for job A.

But this week, out of sheer randomness and after almost agreeing for job A, I got another job offer, job B (which I applied for as well); the pay is not as high as job A but it's not that far from my house, so I don't have to face the traffic at all!
Job B is not related to my academic qualification but I've years experience dealing with it.
With job B, I have to come during normal office hours.

Now, I'm stuck; should I go for job A with higher pay, but long commute or job B with lower pay but shorter commute. I thought I just put in the academic qualification part if anyone's interested.

I'm being a bit abstract with the the job title/position since I would like to keep it under the radar.

Any opinion is welcome.

*EDIT: I've just calculated, job B pays 31% lesser than job A.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Job A.
Reply 2
Job A definitely, all that money.
Reply 3
job A... if it pays 30% more than job B then I'm guessing the pays are something like this:

Job B- £17,000 PA
Job A- £21,100 PA

now the first 5 grand you make in the annum is non-taxable so after taxes it looks something like this:

Job B- £14,600 PA
Job A- £17,800 PA

meaning each month you will have roughly £270 more from job A than B meaning the extra petrol cost from commuting to job A can be neglected and you will have more cash in hand to buy new video games and whatnot. Not to mention, £200 a month can mean the difference between a nice, spacious flat and a hovel situated on the corner of Chavtown Stabville
It's all about Job A.

The commute is nothing. Get some music or language podcasts (if you're driving), take a book or iPad (if you're on the train) - and enjoy the journey.
Reply 5
Original post by gijops
spacious flat and a hovel situated on the corner of Chavtown Stabville

lol!
Reply 6
How far is the commute? an hour or so isn't too bad if its not every day, but if its a really long commute say 2+ hours that will become tiresome really quickly.
tbh I think if your going to enjoy the job itself that's going to outweigh the others benefits.
Hard to say without knowing figures, losing 31% of 60k is a lot of money,losing 31% of 15k ? would that compensate for the commute?
I'd say Job A, but is the extra money you'd get from A offset by the commute cost? Even if so, if it's related to your field, do it.
A, purely because it's related your field
JOB A!
Original post by kka25
A few weeks ago, I got a job offer, job A, with a good pay which I'm reasonably happy. But, the commute is quite far and I have to face the horrendous road congestion to go to the work place : /
Job A is very related to my academic qualification.
With job A, I can come to the office on selected days (made by the company); the rest I can do it at home.

I applied and went to some other interviews here and there but didn't get any offers. So, I thought that I'd just go for job A.

But this week, out of sheer randomness and after almost agreeing for job A, I got another job offer, job B (which I applied for as well); the pay is not as high as job A but it's not that far from my house, so I don't have to face the traffic at all!
Job B is not related to my academic qualification but I've years experience dealing with it.
With job B, I have to come during normal office hours.

Now, I'm stuck; should I go for job A with higher pay, but long commute or job B with lower pay but shorter commute. I thought I just put in the academic qualification part if anyone's interested.

I'm being a bit abstract with the the job title/position since I would like to keep it under the radar.

Any opinion is welcome.

*EDIT: I've just calculated, job B pays 31% lesser than job A.

Job A for sure.
The working from home would be very handy, and for 30% more pay, it's a winner.

But at the end of the day you need to choose what is best for you.
Reply 11
Original post by syne209
How far is the commute? an hour or so isn't too bad if its not every day, but if its a really long commute say 2+ hours that will become tiresome really quickly.

I will time it tomorrow.

However, according to the website, the first train will take around 47-54 minutes. Then I would need to change to the next section; I'm not sure about the second one, but it's just one station.

The 2 buses I'm not sure yet :ninja:

Original post by paradoxicalme
Even if so, if it's related to your field, do it.

Original post by BeautifullyTragic
A, purely because it's related your field

I'm leaning to this as well.
From what you've said, I'd take JOb A. I assume the commute is long but not absolutely horrendous like 2hrs each way. And if you can work from home, that'll ease that up anyway.

Also, you say you have experience but which one would you enjoy more, if you took all other considerations away? Also, do they have the same oppertunity for career advancement? Job A might pay a bit more now but if JOb B offers you a really good chance to progress quickly, that's worth smoething financially, in the long run.
Job A. The extra commute is compensated for by the "select days" you mentioned. Plus it gives you experience in what you were studying in, and therefore should also interest you more.
Which one best fits with your long-term aims and career plans? It sounds like it may be A.
Reply 15
Original post by syne209

Ok, I've timed it:

Home to work: more than 2.5 hours
Work to home: almost 3 hours.

Worth it? : /
Reply 16
Original post by kka25
Ok, I've timed it:

Home to work: more than 2.5 hours
Work to home: almost 3 hours.

Worth it? : /

That is up to you to decide.
If your doing 9 - 5 = 6:30am till 8pm ... almost a 14 hour day, for 9h pay
How many days a week/month you have to do that journey is the key to whether you'll tolerate it and of course the pay...
still Job A does have the home working advantage =no commute.

When you take away the days with no commute from those commuting
kinda an 'average' time would it make a 'sensible' commute time? iyswim
I would take job A
Reply 18
Which job will you enjoy more im assuming the roles are a bit different and which industry would you prefer your career to be in, in the long term? Also which job will give you the best chance at advancement. And work out how much more travel would cost for Job A it could end up evening out the salary difference. Good luck with your decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe I missed it, but if commuting is the only reason stopping you from going for Job A (which is relevant, presumably in line with your career aspirations, and better paid)- what is stopping you from moving to be closer to work?

Your commute is not so terrible if you are only working from the office a few days each week, surely you could put up with it for a few weeks before making a move to be closer to the office?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending