Suggestion : A Poll of the Day Feature

Watch this thread
Poll: Do you like polls?
Yes, i love them always. (10)
58.82%
Yea, they're alright. (3)
17.65%
Meh, depends on how interesting the question is. (4)
23.53%
No, i hate polls and normally refuse to answer except in this case. (0)
0%
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was thinking if we want to get quick snapshots of student opinion then instead of running overly long questionnaires which takes ages to fill out or hiding a poll away in some obscure forum would be to have a mediumly prominent "poll of the day" thing on the main homepage.

Whether it would be locked to the top of the right hand side bar or something would be a good place. It could be realtively small so unintrusive to scroll past and if it's only the the homepage it won't be annoying during regular browsing.

These could be clear simple questions with a few simple options. Clicking on an option would take you through to the results screen and then if you wanted you could join in the discussion on the subject in the thread below. This would be good as sometimes when linked discussions are there you don't want to have to read through all 100 replies to see what people are saying you just a quick overview and then be able to jump into the discussion.

You could take nominations from users for which will be POTD( Image ) each day and use it to direct attention to the smaller areas of sites.( e.g. a pet question one day to direct to Animals and pets). Nominations from users could be in a thread in this subforum and then if fetured it could say in the OP of the thread you make. Or you could use preexisting polls which can be accessed using the "polls" link in the bottom of any page and just give it a lot more attention.

I will declare now that i have completely ripped this idea off GameFAQS.
It's a site i used to use a large amount when i used to be more into gaming but i still return daily to enter their POTD which is on the RHS of the homepage.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/3562

34% of their users on this day were there just for the poll. People love polls. Fact.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/2997
60% of users are often there just for the poll.

95% are honest.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/5004

66% of them love polls.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/3683

There's also a link to every old poll with results.(Where i foudn all the stuff above from)

This way you will get 1000s of people doing each poll compared for a few hundred if lucky normally which gives a better idea of the "student opinion".

And in the case of important issues etc like results day you could make your own polls/threads and put up there then be able to tell newspapers/news sites that "65% of students are happy with their results, Says TSR"
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I can't remember where I saw this being used, but I think this is actually a good idea :yep:
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
:yep: I like it - and ditto on GameFAQs
The Mad Dog
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Sounds great - you could even use it for advertisers to conduct a discrete test of student opinion on something and bring the site a little bit of revenue although obviously don't do it blatant "Would you buy this for x get it here?" in your face style.
Motorbiker
Rep:
(Original post by cpdavis)
I can't remember where I saw this being used, but I think this is actually a good idea :yep:
GameFAQS is the only one i do regularly.

(Original post by Illusionary)
:yep: I like it - and ditto on GameFAQs

I think dev time is very limited before results day but think this could be a useful addition.

(Original post by Dez)
QFA
Just out of interest, How much dev time would this take in theory if community team and others etc decided that they did like it?

(Original post by MiloStar)
QFA
Not sure who to quote specifically just wanted to make sure staff were seeing the suggestion. :ninja:

(Original post by The Mad Dog)
Sounds great - you could even use it for advertisers to conduct a discrete test of student opinion on something and bring the site a little bit of revenue although obviously don't do it blatant "Would you buy this for x get it here?" in your face style.
True, could easily be done in advertising ways as well as an extra source of income.

Could also be useful research for big companies to get the student opinion.
e.g. Favourite cola beverage? Pepsi V Coke V Own brands.
Illusionary
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Motorbiker)
Just out of interest, How much dev time would this take in theory if community team and others etc decided that they did like it?
A quick and easy way to implement something along these lines could be a standing place in the pods carousel with a link to a poll thread, dependent upon availability? Ultimately a homepage widget allowing direct voting would be a better implementation, of course, if/when there's time for the dev work. :yep:
Milostar
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Not sure who to quote specifically just wanted to make sure staff were seeing the suggestion. :ninja:
We are seeing

And we like what we see. :ninja:
Motorbiker
Rep:
(Original post by Illusionary)
A quick and easy way to implement something along these lines could be a standing place in the pods carousel with a link to a poll thread, dependent upon availability? Ultimately a homepage widget allowing direct voting would be a better implementation, of course, if/when there's time for the dev work. :yep:
I'm no dev but didn't think writing a small widget with "Get poll question" and "Get poll questions" as the total commands and then some radio buttons for options and each one submits to the usual poll. Then Submitting takes you to usual poll /thread area.

I could be completely wrong and this could be in fact a giant effort due to a bunch of reasons i am not considering and i will humbly apologise to Dez and buy him a pizza if this is the case.

Pod would be effort as you have to click through the pod to the poll probably.

(Original post by Milostar)
We are seeing

And we like what we see. :ninja:
Awesome. I think it could be a useful addition to the site.

You guys can then write up mini news stories from the polls and submit then to huff post or similar like...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...ide=more296187

That one.
Motorbiker
Rep:
I remember an update recently where the embed poll option was added.

Was that potentially for this?

The embedded poll looks good and putting it on the top right of everyone's homepage as default could be awesome.

I waited to ask as I didn't want to bother you guys during busy results day stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I like the idea, but I wonder if a poll of the week might give you more useful responses, and run less risk of you running out of ideas for question within the first few months :P
fluteflute
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I worked over the summer for TripAdvisor - they do this! Scroll down a little and look at the right side of http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/
Motorbiker
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Only took two years but I'm enjoying the polls on the home page.

Congrats.
Motorbiker
Rep:
Hey Dez.

The topic of the polls on the home page came up at the meet.

How easy / tough would it be to set them to automatically update at midnight each day to a new poll?

Also, to create a record of front page polls that people could look back over to see the results ?
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hey Dez.

The topic of the polls on the home page came up at the meet.

How easy / tough would it be to set them to automatically update at midnight each day to a new poll?

Also, to create a record of front page polls that people could look back over to see the results ?
I didn't work on the flex-poll feature, so I don't know the inner workings that well. But neither of those sound like particularly tricky jobs, on the face of it. Would just need suitable justification I suppose, although from what I've heard the poll widget's performing reasonably well.
Motorbiker
Rep:
(Original post by Dez)
I didn't work on the flex-poll feature, so I don't know the inner workings that well. But neither of those sound like particularly tricky jobs, on the face of it. Would just need suitable justification I suppose, although from what I've heard the poll widget's performing reasonably well.
Thanks very much. Guessed it would be a relatively small task.

I've seen it regularly over 1k votes each day and over 2.5k votes on a weekend.

Think CT must be very happy with it considering the average number of replies on other polls.

Just need to wait until there's a quiet time for Dev work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (277)
41.78%
The paper was reasonable (276)
41.63%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.05%
It was TERRIBLE (50)
7.54%

Watched Threads