The Student Room Group

personal statement tips for child nursing

I'm really struggling to think of things to include on my personal statement for child nursing.

I don't have much experience but I have started to volunteer at a youth club. I have written about each subject I study and their transferable skills.

I haven't a clue what else to write and what other work experience I should try and get.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by dippers
I'm really struggling to think of things to include on my personal statement for child nursing.

I don't have much experience but I have started to volunteer at a youth club. I have written about each subject I study and their transferable skills.

I haven't a clue what else to write and what other work experience I should try and get.

Thank you.

Try to talk about the transferrable skills that you have gained through volunteering, eg. Communication skills, listening skills. I would also talk about how you understand that children's nursing is about caring for not just the child, but the family (emphasis on family centred care).
I involved these in mine and I'm due to start in September :smile:
Also, try to get experience in a health care setting, shadowing a nurse, in a ward in a hospital, in a care home :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Try get some experience at a local nursery (some people may say "yeah but that is healthy children not ill children" but it shows you want experience and are willing to do anything)
I am from a large family (9 of us) and so I focused on the fact I have been around young children all my life. And whenever one of us got ill I noticed how much a nurse can do for the family not just the child in question.
Talk about your own family even if its cousins or nieces or nephews. :smile: such as how illness can effect all of the family not just the child who is ill.

Hope this helps, I mentioned those as well as mentioned myself being a Cub Scout leader.

Emma :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would also discuss what you believe to be childrens nursing as it shows your understanding, why you you want to be a childrens nurse and where you would like to work or where you would see yourself in the future.
Reply 4
I don't think ill be able to get experience in any healthcare setting, like in an hospital or shadowing a nurse although I have applied for voluntary work with children who have special needs, so do you think that would be adequate? Along with the volunteering at the youth club I do, and any other voluntary work I can find?
Reply 5
I took the 6 C's of nursing as headings and described what experiences I had that proved I met each of them. I had plenty of experience working with children, but wanted to prove I was caring and committed so volunteered at a homeless charity for that experience. Its not all about how much experience you have with kids, its more about your ability to prove you've considered the job from all aspects and you're up for it.
Reply 6
I think they are more interested in any experience you might have with family relationships and dynamics, so perhaps you could use an example from the youth club where a child had issues and you successfully liaised with the child's family to resolve them.
Reply 7
Original post by mamamia
I took the 6 C's of nursing as headings and described what experiences I had that proved I met each of them. I had plenty of experience working with children, but wanted to prove I was caring and committed so volunteered at a homeless charity for that experience. Its not all about how much experience you have with kids, its more about your ability to prove you've considered the job from all aspects and you're up for it.

I have included the 6 c's but I haven't reallt had any experience with children so I can't back much of it up, I have been searching for good work experience opportunities.
Reply 8
Original post by mamamia
I think they are more interested in any experience you might have with family relationships and dynamics, so perhaps you could use an example from the youth club where a child had issues and you successfully liaised with the child's family to resolve them.

In the youth club I go to the children do not have any issues, however my friend has twin siblings and one of which is autistic.. The autistic child didn't develop as quickly as the other sibling so maybe I could talk about this? however I haven't really seen them much so would it be wrong to mention it as I may get questioned about it in an interview?
Original post by dippers
In the youth club I go to the children do not have any issues, however my friend has twin siblings and one of which is autistic.. The autistic child didn't develop as quickly as the other sibling so maybe I could talk about this? however I haven't really seen them much so would it be wrong to mention it as I may get questioned about it in an interview?

You could mention it in regards to how autism affected their family and that you have learnt from that observation? You could actually talk a bit about your friend as a sibling carer and their experience - might be a cool little thing to put in to show empathy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending