The Student Room Group

Getting into Uni without meeting entry requirements

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to into Uni without meeting the specific entry requirements?

I'd like to do nursing, but don't have the required number of ucas points. I was wondering however if my age (37!), and other qualifications/experience would make up for it!?!

I have 3 gcses and 2 A levels, a russian lang. qualification and an English degree. I'm studying for my maths and biology gcses at the moment (mucked those up at school!), to take next year. I also have work experience (volunteered in Russian hospital for children with special needs, local hospital and Mencap), plus have my own 3 children (one with developmental delays).

Otherwise my options are to do another A level to boost up my points, or an access to nursing course. Just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation, or has any advice on the best way forward.

Thanks very much,
Emma
Original post by Emma76
Hi all,

I'd like to do nursing, but don't have the required number of ucas points. I was wondering however if my age (37!), and other qualifications/experience would make up for it!?!

I have 3 gcses and 2 A levels, a russian lang. qualification and an English degree. I'm studying for my maths and biology gcses at the moment (mucked those up at school!), to take next year. I also have work experience (volunteered in Russian hospital for children with special needs, local hospital and Mencap), plus have my own 3 children (one with developmental delays).

Otherwise my options are to do another A level to boost up my points, or an access to nursing course. Just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation, or has any advice on the best way forward.

Thanks very much,
Emma

Quite possibly; they may look at your work experience rather than qualifications! You may be able to go through clearing too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Emma76
Hi all,

Thanks very much,
Emma

As you're a mature student, universities look at you differently given the fact that the education system has changed, requirements have changed etc. All the work experience is very useful as it clearly shows your passion for nursing. My advice would be to call or email the Nursing Admissions department at universities you are interested in explain to them your situation and see what they say
Like Alex360 said ring up and ask the admissions department in any of the universities you want to go to.

You may need to do a course as you've been out of education for a while (which I'd imagine is probably a strong possibilty) but hopefully your experience should count for something. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
It's definitely possible.

Last week, as a mature student (With bad bad grades), I got an unconditional for BSc Computer Games Technology. No need for an access course. What helped me was previous experience with the area. I have a lot of 'Hobby' experience for computing. Not really much work related experience.

Fire of an email to admissions or the course leader, and they should be able to help in some way. This was what I did, and it all worked out.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Clear the minimum language and maths requirements, and it will probably be ok. Depends on demand, though.
Original post by Emma76
Hi all,

Thanks very much,
Emma

Nursing as you know is very popular and very competitive but you say you already have a degree in English, I would ring them as ask them. My course is also in high demand and I have just completed maths and English GCSEs and an Access Course. Even though I have over 12 years experience it sometimes is out the uni's hands and more about what the regulations bodies want for Vocational degrees, sadly that was my case. Good luck and hope it goes well.
Reply 7
Thanks for all the replies everyone. You've really encouraged me :biggrin: ...I'm going to give the local Uni a ring and see what they say.

Cheers,
Emma
Reply 8
Original post by Emma76
Thanks for all the replies everyone. You've really encouraged me :biggrin: ...I'm going to give the local Uni a ring and see what they say.

Cheers,
Emma

Let us know how you get on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending