The Student Room Group

Only child syndrome

What are your opinions on this?

For me I find them the worst and most selfish people on the planet. They lack so many social skills and thus end up hurting the feelings of ones around them and falling out with their friends. They then spend more time on their own becoming more socially retarded and marginalise this by claiming to be independent or those social beings are weak for needing others.

Examples of what only children do. Lets say you make a harmless joke to them...in their social retardness they won't be able to handle this because they lacked the social interactions of brothers and sisters and in return they will attack you with something that is extremely personal or offensive....hence why they fall out with their friends a lot. They always need and want their own way without compromise, usually ends up in a tantrum. An inability to share. I have sat round an only child's house for hours while I watch them play a computer game, with me asking can I have ago and them saying 'no'.

I could go on and on with my stories. Thing is most the people that act like this that you know you won't ever put 2+2 together and realise they're an only child and why they act like this.....maybe also with first born children it can happen with them due to lack of older siblings and parents spoiling them because they're their first child and it being all magical.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm an only child and don't feel like I'm socially awkward or deficient in any particular way, where do you get your information from? Or is it just conjecture because you happen to have had a falling out with someone who has no siblings?
I don't think an inability to share is attributed purely to only children.

I have three younger brothers and as a result of growing up with them constantly invading my space and stealing my things, as an adult I really don't like sharing and am cautious with my possessions.
Seems like a rant on someone in particular... Don't generalise.
Reply 4
Not having siblings doesn't necessarily mean you're socially awkward or unable to share (why did you feel so entitled to that boy's video games?). I would have said it's more to do with the parents clinging more onto the child as it's their only one and being more protective. Again, which doesn't always happen.
Reply 5
Woah calm down :biggrin:
I'm an only child and I don't think I've turned out too badly, I'm fairly well adjusted and perfectly happy to share. I think you're generalising far too much, it seems to me like you're the one with the issues, not the only children.
Reply 6
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I'm an only child and don't feel like I'm socially awkward or deficient in any particular way, where do you get your information from? Or is it just conjecture because you happen to have had a falling out with someone who has no siblings?

It is not someone ....I have had experiences with about 10 or so only children, all the same. When I actually discuss it with people and ask them to name people they know who are only children, only then does it start clicking, Most people never normally make the link.

Only children won't find their behaviour weird, why would they.
Original post by McHumpy92
It is not someone ....I have had experiences with about 10 or so only children, all the same. When I actually discuss it with people and ask them to name people they know who are only children, only then does it start clicking, Most people never normally make the link.

Most of my friends were an only child. Your OP describes none of them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
It is not someone ....I have had experiences with about 10 or so only children...

I think I might have found your problem. Might.
Reply 9
Original post by amyshamblesxx
I don't think an inability to share is attributed purely to only children.

I have three younger brothers and as a result of growing up with them constantly invading my space and stealing my things, as an adult I really don't like sharing and am cautious with my possessions.

They probably find sharing very normal...as the youngest of 5 and a twin I am very used to sharing and not having things first. I would class myself as the complete opposite of an only child due to these circumstances. People can just take my stuff, eat my food and do what they want because I really don't care because they're just possessions, life goes on.
Reply 10
Original post by shadowdweller
Most of my friends were an only child. Your OP describes none of them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your posts are always "don't generalizeeeeeeee", do you ever have anything challenging, interesting or something off the grid to say?
They probably find sharing very normal...as the youngest of 5 and a twin I am very used to sharing and not having things first. I would class myself as the complete opposite of an only child due to these circumstances. People can just take my stuff, eat my food and do what they want because I really don't care because they're just possessions, life goes on.

Mmm but conversely, as the eldest in the family, I am used to having things first.. possibly another reason I'm not the biggest fan of sharing? Who knows. :dontknow:
Reply 12
Original post by Iron Lady
Not having siblings doesn't necessarily mean you're socially awkward or unable to share (why did you feel so entitled to that boy's video games?). I would have said it's more to do with the parents clinging more onto the child as it's their only one and being more protective. Again, which doesn't always happen.

I spoke to a psychologist I know(friend, kind of) who is an only child(a bit weird, but in a clingy want to be loved, lonely strange way) and she said she would never just have one child because of the affects it has on them socially and psychologically. She fully admits that it has messed her up.
Reply 13
What you learn socially in kindergarden is way more important to your social skills than whether you have siblings or not.
Reply 14
Original post by chelseafan
Seems like a rant on someone in particular... Don't generalise.

Really isn't. I have noticed many many examples throughout my life. I even say to people sometimes, you're an only child or first born...I am always right. You can just pick them out once you know what characteristics to look for.
Original post by 2ndClass
Your posts are always "don't generalizeeeeeeee", do you ever have anything challenging, interesting or something off the grid to say?

If people make interesting points, I'll make interesting counter-arguments

As it is, if someone decides to generalise, then I'm going to correct them on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by L.O.V.E
Woah calm down :biggrin:
I'm an only child and I don't think I've turned out too badly, I'm fairly well adjusted and perfectly happy to share. I think you're generalising far too much, it seems to me like you're the one with the issues, not the only children.

Depends though, you will obviously see how you react and your level of sharing as normal.

TBH I am on the other end of the scale and do think others should be...so I would use other peoples stuff without asking because I wouldn't mind, so why should they is my attitude.
Reply 17
Original post by shadowdweller
If people make interesting points, I'll make interesting counter-arguments

As it is, if someone decides to generalise, then I'm going to correct them on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly you have to be the most boring person in real life.
Me: Hey shadowdweller pizza is delicious!
You: hmm, not all pizzas are nice, some are good, some bad.....
Me: going to a gig can be a fun time, would you like to come some time?
You: hmmm, not all gigs are fun

:sigh:

Only children won't find their behaviour weird, why would they.

I like sharing my things, it's nice that people come and ask to borrow things and I have no issues with it - if you seriously thing ten people and a subjective view of their behaviour is appropriate enough to say that there is an "only child syndrome" you need to go away and come back with some proper evidence.
Reply 19
How dare you!?! :mad:

That's it. I'm going to sit in my room and just do stuff on my own. I'm independent - I don't need people at all. I'm special on my own so there :hand: AND just to rub it in, I'm not sharing my last Rolo :mad: Bastard :unimpressed:

/sarcasm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending