Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've probably spelt it wrong, but I have a few questions about it.

I had blood tests today, testing for pretty much everything, one being aneamia.

I just wanted to know what causes anaemia, I know its lack of iron so it simply diet related? Apart from iron tablets,what else could I be doing to increase my iron levels? How long will it affect me? Is it related to anything else? (viruses etc)

Thanks,
    Katie J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)

I just wanted to know what causes anaemia, I know its lack of iron so it simply diet related? Apart from iron tablets,what else could I be doing to increase my iron levels? How long will it affect me? Is it related to anything else? (viruses etc)

Thanks,
    Katie J
    end stage renal failure can also cause anaemia. however this cannot be corrected by iron tablets (as it is not due to low ferredoxin levels) and is a result of less production of erythropoetin. if you're a young person though, it's unlikely that you have this.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.farndondocs.co.uk/myweb5/Pils/Anaemia.htm

http://www.drlockie.com/disease/anaemia.htm

http://www.cancerindex.org/ccw/fanconi.htm

ReputationRep:
    dark green veg is good apparently, and going on the pill may lighten the flow of periods, so you lose less iron

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    dark green veg is good apparently, and going on the pill may lighten the flow of periods, so you lose less iron
    lightening periods is not good- it can cause osteoporosis (or so my doctor tells me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)
    end stage renal failure can also cause anaemia. however this cannot be corrected by iron tablets (as it is not due to low ferredoxin levels) and is a result of less production of erythropoetin. if you're a young person though, it's unlikely that you have this.
    End stage renal failure indeed. This isn't UK-Pensioners I believe.
    There are a quite a few causes, the main ones being dietary or from blood loss. Could also be a sign of folate deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency (as in pernicious anaemia) etc.
    I've quoted the following from some random medical website I came across a few weeks ago.

Anaemia occurs most commonly when one of three things happens.

-Red blood cell production decreases for some reason. The commonest cause is iron deficiency. Less common is a condition called thalassaemia (an inherited disease found most often in people of Mediterranean background). Also anaemia is associated with some drugs such as those used in chemotherapy for cancer.
    -Red blood cell destruction increases. This happens in infections, with patients receiving chemotherapy for cancer, autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, or HIV/AIDS, metabolic disorders and haemoglobin defects (e.g. sickle cell anaemia).
    -Blood loss occurs. This may be from trauma, excessive menstruation, surgery, or from slow bleeding over a long period of time (e.g. from a stomach ulcer).

ReputationRep:

Thanks,
    Katie J
    I had a blood test a couple of weeks ago (Full Blood Count) because I was feeling tired all the time (to rule out anaemia). May I ask what your symptoms are that needed you to see the doctor (out of curiosity)?

ReputationRep:

Thanks,
    Katie J
    your body might not absorb iron as well as it should so it will need tablets so your fine

ReputationRep:
    So are we all qualified medics then?

I think not!

Leave the poor girl alone!

And to add my 5p worth anaemia is very common in teenage girls, usually as a result of poor diet. Katie J I'm sure you are not at end stage renal failure, have thalassaemia, rheumatoid arthritis, or HIV/AIDS , or HIV/AIDS!

Why not call your GP tomorrow and ask him this question and get an answer from a fully qualified medical professional rather than rattling the cage of the 'Ooohh! Look how many causes of anaemia I can name in 10 minutes' junkies on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    So are we all qualified medics then?

I think not!

Leave the poor girl alone!

And to add my 5p worth anaemia is very common in teenage girls, usually as a result of poor diet. Katie J I'm sure you are not at end stage renal failure, have thalassaemia, rheumatoid arthritis, or HIV/AIDS , or HIV/AIDS!

Why not call your GP tomorrow and ask him this question and get an answer from a fully qualified medical professional rather than rattling the cage of the 'Ooohh! Look how many causes of anaemia I can name in 10 minutes' junkies on here.
    I'd personally rather be fully informed about illnesses/causes of illnesses. Of course it's the job of a qualified doctor to diagnose disease, but my post was only a reply to what was asked at the start of the thread. And yes, the usual cause is poor diet, which I did say - but we don't even know whether the blood tests confirm anaemia.
    I do get your point about the HIV bit! Though I did say it was pasted straight from a medical site, maybe I should've read it first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    I had a blood test a couple of weeks ago (Full Blood Count) because I was feeling tired all the time (to rule out anaemia). May I ask what your symptoms are that needed you to see the doctor (out of curiosity)?
    Thanks Fluffy for your support, I know even in posting this to take answers as possibilities not medical facts! For the sake or irony (sort of anyway) I do suffer arthritis though its psoraotic (know idea how that's spelt, phonetically I mean 'soriasis' linked!) so it come & goes etc. Thank you again for your sense.

Timeofyourlife, thanks for your information, whether it is or it isn't anaemia, I'm still interested so still grateful for your information. Symptoms wise...constant exhaustion, lack of immune system (i get everything going these days...have done since glandular fever hit last winter ), paleness, bruising easily, sleeping all the time & never at night, & general stress (self diagnosis:- too many A-Levels, aiming too high & unhappy home). My mum has serious anaemia problems so she noticed similarities...if she was a more 'approachable' mother I would have asked her.

If it is anaemia, I don't understand how my diet is a factor, I eat surprisingly healthily compared to everyone I know my age...I do eat a lot of chocolate but have a very balanced diet! I'm not a drinker, when we go out I'll have one drink at the most...I'm Britvic 55 junkie!! I'm not a veggie but I don't eat that much meat, mainly because it's expensive. Maybe I should start a new diet of Guiness, Steaks & cabbage?? I don't have a huge appetite, small infact, maybe the problem is I just don't eat enough?

If blood does have a high RBC/iron count it should be bright red right? I didn't really look (eugh to blood) but it was dark murky pink in the bottle...not like last years multiple blood tests!

I'll let you all know on Friday if I'm dying...lol

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Fluffy for your support, I know even in posting this to take answers as possibilities not medical facts! For the sake or irony (sort of anyway) I do suffer arthritis though its psoraotic (know idea how that's spelt, phonetically I mean 'soriasis' linked!) so it come & goes etc. Thank you again for your sense.

Timeofyourlife, thanks for your information, whether it is or it isn't anaemia, I'm still interested so still grateful for your information. Symptoms wise...constant exhaustion, lack of immune system (i get everything going these days...have done since glandular fever hit last winter ), paleness, bruising easily, sleeping all the time & never at night, & general stress (self diagnosis:- too many A-Levels, aiming too high & unhappy home). My mum has serious anaemia problems so she noticed similarities...if she was a more 'approachable' mother I would have asked her.

If it is anaemia, I don't understand how my diet is a factor, I eat surprisingly healthily compared to everyone I know my age...I do eat a lot of chocolate but have a very balanced diet! I'm not a drinker, when we go out I'll have one drink at the most...I'm Britvic 55 junkie!! I'm not a veggie but I don't eat that much meat, mainly because it's expensive. Maybe I should start a new diet of Guiness, Steaks & cabbage?? I don't have a huge appetite, small infact, maybe the problem is I just don't eat enough?

If blood does have a high RBC/iron count it should be bright red right? I didn't really look (eugh to blood) but it was dark murky pink in the bottle...not like last years multiple blood tests!

I'll let you all know on Friday if I'm dying...lol
    Genetics could be a factor, but I won't go into it incase I get shouted at My FBCs turned out to be normal, and I was really tired and ill due to the stress of work apparently - so there's no use in deciding what your plan of action is going to be until you've discussed your upcoming results with your doctor IMHO.
    I couldn't really tell you about the blood colour thing, but bare in mind the light of the room will affect the colour of the blood etc. I wouldn't really worry about that though, so just think positive for the mean time

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about that one -I think it depends more on whether or not the haemoglobin in your blood is oxygenated rather than whether there's enough of it (i.e. enough RBCs). This is why arterial blood is bright red and venous is dark.

Hope they you're ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Hmmm, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about that one -I think it depends more on whether or not the haemoglobin in your blood is oxygenated rather than whether there's enough of it (i.e. enough RBCs). This is why arterial blood is bright red and venous is dark.

Hope they you're ok!
    And there's me thinking venous blood was blue, just like the textbooks

ReputationRep:
    And there's me thinking venous blood was blue, just like the textbooks
    You mean its not?...That does explain a few things.

ReputationRep:
    Genetics could be a factor, but I won't go into it incase I get shouted at My FBCs turned out to be normal, and I was really tired and ill due to the stress of work apparently - so there's no use in deciding what your plan of action is going to be until you've discussed your upcoming results with your doctor IMHO.
    I couldn't really tell you about the blood colour thing, but bare in mind the light of the room will affect the colour of the blood etc. I wouldn't really worry about that though, so just think positive for the mean time
    Heh, I wouldn't shout at you! Genetics stuff did cross my mind, both my mum & sister are anaemic.
    I do Biology A-level so feel I should know more about this kind of stuff but I'm more of an ecology/genetics girl! lol
    I don't think anything solveable will come up, so I'm just going to eat even more healthily,exercise more, try cut down on my activities & sleep more at reasonable times (at night!).
    Well I'm now going to be really stupid & stay up to finish some cw that has to be in this week! Joy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

Hope they you're ok!
    I'll worry about anything!!
    I had so many blood tests last year with the glandular fever & it was always brilliant red...its the same arm & same vessel (maybe?) so thats what made me think!
    A while ago I had a nasty throat infection, which I posted something about on here to do with mumps, it wasn't mumps the end thankfully. The mini epidemic seemed to have passed but I was told today my friend Hannah has a lovely case of it! Hampster Hannah...
    My sister is alsoa medic & has just recieved her cetificate to say she can do bloods, but there's no way I'd let her near me with a needle!

Heh, I think I'll just give up school, maybe I'd stop being such a sickly little thing! I hate feeling ill, makes me all miserable!

ReputationRep:
    chocolate has iron in it. Last year I was a little anaemic (after giving blood a couple of times in the year already) - not proper anaemic just so much that they didnt want to risk me giving again because then I might've developed it..

Anyway, chocolate has iron or so I was told so you have a good excuse for eating it.

I am not going to claim to know what could be causing your anaemia but I will emphasise how common it is amongst teenage girls and don't worry.

Oh yes, something else I read about iron deficiency.. was that if you drink tea at the same time as eating that it inhibits your ability to absorb iron. This is either an interesting fact or utter crap. !

The minor problem i had was sorted out pretty quickly - it may have just sorted itself out but I started taking vitamins which contained iron (though if you really need more iron you'll have to get super strength ones that not just anyone can buy .. !)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    You mean its not?...That does explain a few things.
    Well, I've never seen it blue but I'm thick, so someone else is probably right.

Katie - eating healthily, with lots of iron will be good for you, but be careful on the exercise, as if you are anaemic you will get tired out very quickly.

You can't do anything about the test results; if it's negative then it's a weight off your mind, if it's positive then at least you know what the problem is and can deal with it. Hope it's ok!

ReputationRep:

Thanks,
    Katie J
    wot makes u think u have anemia?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.