Anaemia Watch

This discussion is closed.
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If you do have anaemia, it could be genetic. You could be mildly anaemic if tests show it. My mum is mildly anaemic, and my brother is mildly thelesaemic (can't spell it), and he used to faint sometimes.
Iron tablets would help if you are anamic, but they will be advised to you by your docotor if you are anaemic.
alocin
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I found out I was semi-anemic when I tried to donate blood the third time, and failed the iron count test. My drop of blood floated rather than sinking! So they wouldn't take my blood and banned me from donating for a year. I went to the doctors and was prescribed a course of iron tablets, that sorted me out and the blood people let me donate at the next session after I passed the test! Yay!

I'm sure I heard something about drinking tea while eating or taking iron tablets stops your absorbing the iron properly too - bizarre.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Katie J)
I'll worry about anything!!
I had so many blood tests last year with the glandular fever & it was always brilliant red...its the same arm & same vessel (maybe?) so thats what made me think!
A while ago I had a nasty throat infection, which I posted something about on here to do with mumps, it wasn't mumps the end thankfully. The mini epidemic seemed to have passed but I was told today my friend Hannah has a lovely case of it! Hampster Hannah...
My sister is alsoa medic & has just recieved her cetificate to say she can do bloods, but there's no way I'd let her near me with a needle!

Heh, I think I'll just give up school, maybe I'd stop being such a sickly little thing! I hate feeling ill, makes me all miserable!
To be honest, alot of people here are talking crap.
It's all well and good to say what can cause anaemia, but you're forgetting that Katie J has not got AIDS, has not symptoms of those wealth of other conditions, and may well have pointed out to her qualified doctor if she and her family had thought it a jape to go swimming in an african river
FYI to people, if you had any idea how many illnesses can give anaemia, let alone deficiencies (like someone mentioned, B12, heavy periods, lack of iron, even (believe it or not) a lack of fatty foods)

And yes, some people are predisposed to lower than normal rbc counts/ haemapoietin counts.

J
ps 'Hamster HAnnah' - sounds bloody like mumps to me!
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by alocin)
I found out I was semi-anemic when I tried to donate blood the third time, and failed the iron count test. My drop of blood floated rather than sinking! So they wouldn't take my blood and banned me from donating for a year. I went to the doctors and was prescribed a course of iron tablets, that sorted me out and the blood people let me donate at the next session after I passed the test! Yay!

I'm sure I heard something about drinking tea while eating or taking iron tablets stops your absorbing the iron properly too - bizarre.
that's a very minor thing. i think something in the tea binds to iron and prevents it's absorption.

Another thing to note for everyone is TOO MUCH IRON IS VERY BAD
Especially in children. It destroys the intestines
J
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
that's a very minor thing. i think something in the tea binds to iron and prevents it's absorption.

Another thing to note for everyone is TOO MUCH IRON IS VERY BAD
Especially in children. It destroys the intestines
J
I had a highish iron count 12.6, and low sodium levels and a low blood sugar but a few days on an intravenous drip sorted that out :rolleyes: (i dn't mean my iron levels) IV sites suck when you have practically no veins and when they do find one it's thin and gets swollen...
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
lightening periods is not good- it can cause osteoporosis (or so my doctor tells me)
I'm going to get that anyway (runs in the family - my aunty had it at 35 - although she does smoke....my mum got it at 50 (although my grandma held out until she was 75)).

And of course the fact that I can't stand dairy ATM means that my calcium intake is far too low (and of course it's calcium intake between 15 and 30 that has the most impact) but apart from knocking back sesame seeds whenever possible there isn't much else I can do (tried calcium suppliments - nearly threw up).

I'd still rather have light/no periods now and have to look after myself when I get older.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by alocin)
It's vitamin C (orange juice, strawberries etc) that aids iron absorption - milk and caffiene reduces it

http://www.nutrition.org.uk/informat...alth/iron.html
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Katie J)
For the sake or irony (sort of anyway) I do suffer arthritis though its psoraotic (know idea how that's spelt, phonetically I mean 'soriasis' linked!) so it come & goes etc. Thank you again for your sense.

Ohh! I have psoriasis and suspected psoriatic arthritis (although I don't actualy think I have it, my GP is convinced! Damn doctors )
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi again,
I do drink a lot of tea....
I do exercise a lot, mad hill walker but not so much recently, I only mentioned it as my big sister was ranting on at me saying excerise will boost my energy levels & frankly, I need all the help I can get just to stay awake!
Foolfarian; you mentioned illness, is it possible that I picked up some infection/virus thing that has lowered my iron levels? As for Hampster Hannah, yeah she definitly has mumps, lol, just over a week ago she was laughing at all those that had it (most of my year!) saying she'd not stopped kissing her bf when he had it & she was still clear & therefore super healthy...now look at her!
Emmz; my doctor seems to think I am anaemic, but tested for a whole load of things just in case, I think earlier I mentioned the main symptons I'm having.
Helenia; I certainly wouldn't call you thick, you're always helping people out & are a Cambridge Medic (& Guidey, only the best!!)!!
Fluffy, I have bizarre joints all over!
Fionah; any excuse for chocolate...mmmm! I've been on multivitamins since winter last year, to boost myself up again after the evil glandular fever, maybe its too much of one vitamin & not enough of the others?

Ahhh, as much as I defend my right to not want to study medicine (very competitive with my big sister!) just because I could, the human body does fascinate me!

Again, thank you all! I'll know on Friday!
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got tested a couple of weeks ago for symptoms like permanently feeling tired, mood swings, stress, ill feeling etc...i had a full blood count, ESR count (glandular fever), random sugars (diabetes) and something else which i can't remember. However I got the results back last week, and it was all normal apart from one thing of the ESR, so the doctor thinks I could've had very mild glandular fever but its cleared itself up.

Thankfully it wasn't aneamea...it means I can go and give blood next week.
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Blood test results back today...I have mild anaemia! My Dr said its not bad enough to be too concerned about & there's no need for a course of iron tablets! He has suggested a more meaty diet (I'm not veggie but my sisters are so we don't eat much meat for simplicity.) to relax more (hmmm, can't see that happening for a long while yet...) and to take 'nutrition supplements'. Stupid question but is that just multi-vitamins or something else like those ever-so-yummy 'Build Up' drinks I was forced to have when I was ill last year? All the other stuff came back clear, he said the glandular fever could still be in my system but is probably pathetically irrelevant now, but all that combined with too much work/stress and being overtired is the main cause for my exhaustion!
I'm relieved!
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've had anaemia when i was younger. I remember i had to have this disgusting iron medicine. I wasn't too bothered that i had it; possibly because i was young and didn't really understand it. It's not fatal though, is it? (i'm just going to find out more)
preyingmantis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I've had anaemia when i was younger. I remember i had to have this disgusting iron medicine. I wasn't too bothered that i had it; possibly because i was young and didn't really understand it. It's not fatal though, is it? (i'm just going to find out more)
depends what is causing it. generally not though! it's usually more of a symptom of something else
dinkymints
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I went through the doctor's visits due to extreme tiredness thing a coupla years ago.... I thought it might be B12 deficiency or anaemia as my mum has it. Send me for a blood test (which I did NOT thank him for coz I am a complete needle phobic!) and he said that everything was normal except something which is a "marker of inflammation" but didn't really have a clue what it was... his only suggestion was depression, and I don't even think he was serious in that!! Not so bad anymore, but it's still there... really annoying. Glad you got yours sorted, Katie and Chicken!
whitewitch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have mild anaemia, its not really that bad as long as I remember to take my iron tablets everyday but it can mean i end up sleepin most of the day and can't concentrate on anything and end up drinking loads of coffee to keep me awake. still i cant really complain because its due to having always been veggie and having a crap diet.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.6%
Excited (156)
9.19%
Worried (305)
17.96%
Terrified (378)
22.26%
Meh (162)
9.54%
Confused (37)
2.18%
Putting on a brave face (233)
13.72%
Impatient (213)
12.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise