The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Anyone really, really old going to QM?

I'm a mature student with an offer to read English at Queen Mary but at the recent open day I did not see another mature (meaning older) student anywhere.

Obviously there might have been but I was wondering if there were any over 40s going? I'm not fussed about being old enough to be everyone's mum but I wondered if it was a mature student friendly uni? If there are not many others going then perhaps it's not...

I also failed to spot a mature student stand which is a bit ominous.

I've got to make my decision soon (I applied late) so any insight anyone can offer with regards to the above would be gratefully accepted!
Reply 1
Anyone???

Would I really be the oldest UG there....
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Soup Dragon
Anyone???

Would I really be the oldest UG there....

hahah you should really just relax :smile:
I know a guy from linguistics class, but am not sure which programme he's doing...
There aren't many mature students, but from what I see, lecturers like mature students because you work harder and simply know more!
Good luck :biggrin:
Queen Mary will be good as a place for mature students as it's in London and has a lot of internationals there too, so it'll feel less cliquey. I'll be 25 when I start there - not super mature but definitely not 18 either. London is probably the best option for mature students as it's teeming with life off campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by annette2010
hahah you should really just relax :smile:
I know a guy from linguistics class, but am not sure which programme he's doing...
There aren't many mature students, but from what I see, lecturers like mature students because you work harder and simply know more!
Good luck :biggrin:

Yes, you're right. I really should just relax!

I'm not worried about being the oldest one in the lecture or whatever, I just want to go to a university that is supportive of the problems that sometimes mature students face (eg. when one of the children is ill and I can't get in). I'm finding that hard to judge with QM.

Thanks for your reply.
Reply 5
Original post by stuart_aitken
Queen Mary will be good as a place for mature students as it's in London and has a lot of internationals there too, so it'll feel less cliquey. I'll be 25 when I start there - not super mature but definitely not 18 either. London is probably the best option for mature students as it's teeming with life off campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thanks for your reply - hadn't really considered that London might be a better bet for a mature student. Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to take part in off-life campus much as I'll be commuting in.

But you've given me something to mull over.
I'm a mature student with an offer to read English at Queen Mary but at the recent open day I did not see another mature (meaning older) student anywhere.

Obviously there might have been but I was wondering if there were any over 40s going? I'm not fussed about being old enough to be everyone's mum but I wondered if it was a mature student friendly uni? If there are not many others going then perhaps it's not...

I've got to make my decision soon (I applied late) so any insight anyone can offer with regards to the above would be gratefully accepted!

Hey! Don't worry a bit! QM loves their mature students. I am graduating this month with a degree in history and on my course we had a huge number of mature students. A lovely past retirement age lady who decided a history degree would be fun so she could study the meaning of battle wounds in the middle ages (who knew?!) and another past retirement age man who had spent his life in the oil business travelling who knows where. They fitted right in and had many younger friends. In fact I am looking forward to seeing them both a graduation!

Also I knew of a great lady who studied English and was probably coming up for retirement age... She will be going into her third year come September!!

You will have a great time.
Reply 7
Original post by private-radio
Hey! Don't worry a bit! QM loves their mature students. I am graduating this month with a degree in history and on my course we had a huge number of mature students.

Thank you so much for your reassuring post. It was so heartwarming to read and has made me realise that I was being rather stupid! Of course there will be mature students there, it's London!

I think I'm going to have to visit again - I find it really hard to work out if I like a uni when I attend open days. Dunno why, too many people perhaps.

Thank you again!
Thank you so much for your reassuring post. It was so heartwarming to read and has made me realise that I was being rather stupid! Of course there will be mature students there, it's London!

I think I'm going to have to visit again - I find it really hard to work out if I like a uni when I attend open days. Dunno why, too many people perhaps.

Thank you again!

Not a problem! I am happy I could help.

I think with a degree like History/English etc. you don't need to worry if you like the uni that much as your contact hours are low. For example in the second term of my third year I was only in 2 hours a week. What you need to consider is whether the university offers you the opportunity to learn about what you enjoy. And if you will be commuting in you can do most of your work at home just use the library for what you need... and to be fair you will probably use Senate House more than Mile End library as the place is hopeless. Completely hopeless.

QMUL has an odd campus in the sense there is no need to belong... I don't want to put you off it, this just means you can come and go as you please, do what you want without any funny looks or people thinking your odd. Conversely, if you want to be really active and get involved with every society between Library Square and Mars you can. HOWEVER... there is a huge bias at QM in favour of certain minorities AND the students jump on humanitarian bandwagons without even realising what they are saying/standing for etc. etc. And they try and sell you donuts to support their cause. But hey... I guess this is what university life is about... I don't know why I thought I would be politically at one with a university in East London... but heyho it was a good three years despite this.

I'm just ranting now. But I do highly recommend QM for you as a mature student as long as the English department can offer you courses you are interested in/routes to develop this interest.

Please if you have any more questions just let me know!

I'm presently a student at QM, and there was an older chap (maybe coming on for 40) in my International Relations seminar, he fitted in fine and it was great to chat with him. He was like the wise old man too, having experienced the times we were studying! (Cold War) Obviously he commuted so we never went on the lash with him or anything, but regardless, it wasn't like we marginalised him or anything, he was just another colleague! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by hardleyouth
I'm presently a student at QM, and there was an older chap (maybe coming on for 40) in my International Relations seminar, he fitted in fine and it was great to chat with him. He was like the wise old man too, having experienced the times we were studying! (Cold War) Obviously he commuted so we never went on the lash with him or anything, but regardless, it wasn't like we marginalised him or anything, he was just another colleague! :smile:

Thanks for your reply. I'm not so worried about how I'll fit in with the younger students but rather how mature student friendly the lecturers are. I know there will be times when one of the children is ill and I'll miss a lecture/seminar and I wonder how understanding/supportive they'll be.

For instance, some unis have commuter get togethers during Freshers Week or pre-Freshers sessions for mature students but I've not found anything like that despite digging around the QM website.

Original post by private-radio

I think with a degree like History/English etc. you don't need to worry if you like the uni that much as your contact hours are low. For example in the second term of my third year I was only in 2 hours a week. What you need to consider is whether the university offers you the opportunity to learn about what you enjoy. And if you will be commuting in you can do most of your work at home just use the library for what you need... and to be fair you will probably use Senate House more than Mile End library as the place is hopeless. Completely hopeless.

QMUL has an odd campus in the sense there is no need to belong... I don't want to put you off it, this just means you can come and go as you please, do what you want without any funny looks or people thinking your odd. Conversely, if you want to be really active and get involved with every society between Library Square and Mars you can.

Thanks for your help - does the uni feel close-knit and like a community? I don't think I'll have time to join any societies which is a shame - there's quite a choice! Your views on the library are interesting too. I asked student helpers about it at the recent open day and they all raved about it. Beginning to think Open Days are pretty pointless...
Thanks for your reply. I'm not so worried about how I'll fit in with the younger students but rather how mature student friendly the lecturers are. I know there will be times when one of the children is ill and I'll miss a lecture/seminar and I wonder how understanding/supportive they'll be.

For instance, some unis have commuter get togethers during Freshers Week or pre-Freshers sessions for mature students but I've not found anything like that despite digging around the QM website.

Thanks for your help - does the uni feel close-knit and like a community? I don't think I'll have time to join any societies which is a shame - there's quite a choice! Your views on the library are interesting too. I asked student helpers about it at the recent open day and they all raved about it. Beginning to think Open Days are pretty pointless...

Re. the children. I know of a young girl who did history and we had an essay due in one day but she could not get to campus due to medical reasons for her children. The lecturer just extended her deadline to the next day. As for lectures if you miss one they don't care. If you miss a seminar and inform them why you missed it, they don't care. I think they become more frustrated when you just don't show up. As long as you are participating in your seminars, the lecturers will respect you, regardless of your age, and hence give you slack when it comes to missing class. But really they are all more caught up in their own research than anything else. And, of course, they have their degree and you don't - so it is down to you to catch up if you miss anything! You will be fine with this issue.

Re. the community. There is a community feel if you are a left-wing radical who jumps on humanitarian bandwagons without any care or thought to why you support them. QMUL is not the sort of university where a load of middle class children have just left home and are finding their feet (i.e. Exeter, Sheffield ...). Of course there are some. The huge amount are commuters as they still live at home so they come and go as if they did at school and college. You will make friends on your course, in your classes etc. Its what you make of that opportunity that will make you feel part of a community - but it will be your own community unless you are the aforementioned left-wing radical.

Re. the library. The people who do the open days are paid a lot of money to inform prospective students of the recent huge amount of money spent on the library; to make that hideous downstairs section! I mean what a disaster. The library is fine if they have the book you want - but this if often not the case/the one copy they have is checked out/lost/ripped/down the toilet... who knows. Given the few contact hours at QM on History/English courses your research time will be better spent online at the Senate House website. Then you can go off and get the books you want knowing that they will be available. Also Senate House has a longer loan period, better quality books, helpful staff and it is generally a nicer place to be. To be honest - you will find a nice balance for yourself between the two. If you care for your degree you will find that the balance tends toward Senate House :colondollar: :biggrin:.

I know I sound harsh toward QM, and I am. They have a lot of work to do to get themselves working properly. The university has experienced so much success of recent but it has not updated certain things to accompany that i.e. administration. HOWEVER, I am very thankful for my experience there. I have made a great academic contact base (although, this is really based at the Institute for the Study of the Americas, formerly at Senate House (go figure) and now at UCL, rather than QM) and have had the support of many lecturers to ensure I achieved my first class. Moreover, I have made some great friends and really enjoyed my university experience. If I had to make the decision again - I would still go to QM! I was accepted to King's and UCL for history but just felt more comfortable at QM, I knew they could allow me to research and find out more about what I wanted to. If you decide on QM you will enjoy it but just be aware of the downsides first - but you will get this anywhere!!!!

Hope this clarifies some points for you!
Reply 12
We had a guy in one of our classes who was actually retired, and to be honest, we all got on with him as if there was no age gap. He joined us for our social meals out, went round the bars when we had our last class, and even brought his wife with him to results day to meet us all! He was a lovely chap, and an excellent friend. I am sure you will be able to get on well wherever you go, and I wish you all the best with your degree :smile:
Oh thanks for your reply - hadn't really considered that London might be a better bet for a mature student. Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to take part in off-life campus much as I'll be commuting in.

But you've given me something to mull over.

Hey, I'm starting Queen Mary this year and I'll most likely be commuting. I live outside of London so getting an accommodation offer isn't that hard, it's just that I'd rather save the money for something else which a lot of my friends find weird (since they're a lot like the 'children who are finding their feet' and for them, accommodation is a MUST) :rolleyes:.

I'm quite nervous myself, not because I'm a mature student, but since most of the people in my college opt for uni's like Exeter or Southampton.ect so London is quite a change for me.

I'm actually looking forward to meeting people of different ages and from different parts of the world. I doubt people will care whether your a mature student or whether you commute. From what I gathered, a lot of people who apply there have to commute themselves as they live in London and QM doesn't guarantee accommodation if that's the case. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending