Who was your favourite Roman? Watch

The Angry Stoic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
One of the reasons I like studying Ancient Rome is the vast array of interesting, different and larger than life characters it produced. I love so many of them for so many reasons but who is your favourite?

Caesar? Sulla? Cato? Augustus? Scipio Africanus? Cicero? Gaius Marius? Agrippa? Mark Anthony? Livy? Claudius? Trajan? Marcus Auerelius? The list goes on!

For me it's hard but it just has to be Caesar.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've always been more interested in the Greeks than the Romans, although I did really like Caligula. He was a complete nutter! I should add that when I say 'like', I mean I find him interesting. He's not very likeable since he resulted in lots of people dying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
wildrover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maximus
Some random guy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Marcus Junius Brutus, Marcus Licinius Crassus, Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus and Gaius Julius Caesar. Their power struggle is the stuff of legend and changed Rome forever.
SR255
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Some random guy)
Marcus Junius Brutus, Marcus Licinius Crassus, Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus and Gaius Julius Caesar. Their power struggle is the stuff of legend and changed Rome forever.
(Original post by The Angry Stoic)
One of the reasons I like studying Ancient Rome is the vast array of interesting, different and larger than life characters it produced. I love so many of them for so many reasons but who is your favourite?

Caesar? Sulla? Cato? Augustus? Scipio Africanus? Cicero? Gaius Marius? Agrippa? Mark Anthony? Livy? Claudius? Trajan? Marcus Auerelius? The list goes on!

For me it's hard but it just has to be Caesar.
The guys from Late Rome always get forgotten. What about Stilicho and Flavius Aetius?
Some random guy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SR255)
The guys from Late Rome always get forgotten. What about Stilicho and Flavius Aetius?
Dude I could just list every single Roman from all eras but I just put the ones that come to mind first is all.
The Angry Stoic
Rep:
?
(Original post by wildrover)
Maximus
He's not real :mad:
mevidek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
I've always been more interested in the Greeks than the Romans, although I did really like Caligula. He was a complete nutter! I should add that when I say 'like', I mean I find him interesting. He's not very likeable since he resulted in lots of people dying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Horrible fellow, fascinating though. I seem to remember him cutting out his wife's uterus to make his unborn son come early - certainly not a nice chap! (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)
Shaun1991
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not too keen on Abramovich so will have to go with Pavlyuchenko.
navarre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I quite like Josephus. OK, so he wasn't a Roman by birth, but he became a Roman citizen and documented the Jewish uprising of AD 70, which led to the destruction of the Temple. The Jewish uprising was a huge challenge to Roman authority, and threatened to destabilise the entire Empire. It lasted for seven years, through Nero's reign to a civil war and eventually the rule of Vespasian. Without Josephus, we just wouldn't know as much about that crucial period.
The Angry Stoic
Rep:
?
(Original post by navarre)
I quite like Josephus. OK, so he wasn't a Roman by birth, but he became a Roman citizen and documented the Jewish uprising of AD 70, which led to the destruction of the Temple. The Jewish uprising was a huge challenge to Roman authority, and threatened to destabilise the entire Empire. It lasted for seven years, through Nero's reign to a civil war and eventually the rule of Vespasian. Without Josephus, we just wouldn't know as much about that crucial period.
Why was it crucial? Unless you are Jewish?
navarre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Angry Stoic)
Why was it crucial? Unless you are Jewish?
Because it threatened to destabilise the entire Empire. The Jews weren't the only ones under Roman oppression; if they could fight and win, what about the Gauls, or the Hispanic tribes, or the north Africans? A quarter of the entire Roman army was actually deployed to put down the rebellion, showing you just how serious it was taken. Oh, and the fact that Vespasian, the general who led the Roman forces, was to become Roman emperor should show you just what an important event it was.
The Angry Stoic
Rep:
?
(Original post by navarre)
Because it threatened to destabilise the entire Empire. The Jews weren't the only ones under Roman oppression; if they could fight and win, what about the Gauls, or the Hispanic tribes, or the north Africans? A quarter of the entire Roman army was actually deployed to put down the rebellion, showing you just how serious it was taken. Oh, and the fact that Vespasian, the general who led the Roman forces, was to become Roman emperor should show you just what an important event it was.
Indeed. It was critical for Vespasian's career.
Short Story Long
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Scaurus (can't remember how to spell it) and his fish sauce. No kid.
Oliver Twisted
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cicero, Cassius, Brutus and Diocletian. BOOM.
yaboy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mike tyson
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cicero.
maskofsanity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Plotinus

(if he indeed was Roman - we will never know)
JHart1865
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely Francesco Totti.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lizzie232
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Caligula... he made his horse a consul and opened a brothel in his palace, what more could you want from a guy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (72)
7.74%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.8%
No, but I want to start (347)
37.31%
No, I am unable to (234)
25.16%
No, I chose not to (251)
26.99%