The Student Room Group

Is this weird/stupid?

Right I'm not sure how to word this, but basically i am 20 and over the next few years i will be preparing myself for university by studying GCSEs and then "a" levels. My problem is that i don't really know what i want to do in life.

I'm not the kind of person who has one specific career in mind, such as scientist etc, i just want a degree in hope that i stand out to employers!, also i would do any job as long as the pay was good, even if the job doesn't relate to my degree.

so my question is, is my plan common? Do people go to university for leisure and also to make their cv better? i imagine most people go to university in hope that they land their dream job in the future.

also for example i wouldn't be bothered if i did a degree in history, and then ended up working in a call centre, some might accuse me of not being ambitious, but maybe its best being unambitious as i then wouldn't be disappointed if i ended up with a "rubbish" job.

So yeah basically i want my cv to really stand out to employers! But I'm not sure how to go about it! Also I'm worried about my lack of work experiance? I have literally zero work experiance, so i was thinking about volunteering for 6-12 months, but will that improve my cv and impress potential employers? Or would i be wasting my time?

hope somebody can give me some advice! Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Is there any profession or area of the working world/area of study that you feel at all passionate about?or that gets you thinking?
I didn't decide to leave my job until I knew exactly what career I wanted because I do not want a wasted degree. Is it really worth the years of studying and the student loans if you would settle for a call centre job? I personally know two people who have been turned down from a call centre for being 'overqualified'. Get some volunteering/work experience under your belt, maybe you'll find something you've a passion for.

Yes, lots of people get a degree to have a degree. Many jobs ask for graduate level education. What are you going to do A levels in? I think once you experience A levels etc you'll have found a degree you'll enjoy that can lead to an appropriate career.
depending on what you study you might be able to do summer internship or something. Whether you'll have much luck with that given your age by the time you're applying for it I don't know.
Reply 4
Well preferably I'd like to be a social worker, i want a job/career where I'm helping people, but as i said i don't mind which job i do as long as the pay satisfies me.

the problem is I'm so far of getting a grade "c" in maths its frightening! And you need that for a social work degree.
Reply 5
I'm 30 and I still have no idea what career I want in the future. I'm going to uni in September to do History. It won't lead you into a career earning mega bucks but it will make your CV stand out and give you a wider variety of jobs to aim for. Most employers want degrees from their applicants even for jobs that don't require one. A 2:1 in History will put you in good steed.

The big thing though, is it's not just the degree you have, but what you did outside your degree - those extracurricular activities and prior work experience will make your CV, really stand out.

My advice to you OP, get a job, save up for uni and use the next two years to figure out your route into uni and what you really want to study.
Reply 6
Original post by TheRealJT
Well preferably I'd like to be a social worker, i want a job/career where I'm helping people, but as i said i don't mind which job i do as long as the pay satisfies me.

the problem is I'm so far of getting a grade "c" in maths its frightening! And you need that for a social work degree.

Make sure you get that C! Even for History some uni's require it (god knows why) Don't be afraid of asking for more help. Honestly, I got a D in Maths and it has been the bane of my life... ugh.
Reply 7
The problem is i am totally "unemployable". I had to leave school at the start of year 10 due to a bad illness and it took me 3 years to recover! the illness i had wasn't suited to study, so obviously i left without formal qualifications. also my mum died when i was 18 so that just made things even worse, however I'm so determined to get some qualifications(starting with GCSEs) and then hopefully i can do "a" levels or an access course.

you mentioned work experience? Would it be wise to volunteer for 6-12 months?
Reply 8
Right I'm not sure how to word this, but basically i am 20 and over the next few years i will be preparing myself for university by studying GCSEs and then "a" levels. My problem is that i don't really know what i want to do in life.

I'm not the kind of person who has one specific career in mind, such as scientist etc, i just want a degree in hope that i stand out to employers!, also i would do any job as long as the pay was good, even if the job doesn't relate to my degree.

so my question is, is my plan common? Do people go to university for leisure and also to make their cv better? i imagine most people go to university in hope that they land their dream job in the future.

also for example i wouldn't be bothered if i did a degree in history, and then ended up working in a call centre, some might accuse me of not being ambitious, but maybe its best being unambitious as i then wouldn't be disappointed if i ended up with a "rubbish" job.

So yeah basically i want my cv to really stand out to employers! But I'm not sure how to go about it! Also I'm worried about my lack of work experiance? I have literally zero work experiance, so i was thinking about volunteering for 6-12 months, but will that improve my cv and impress potential employers? Or would i be wasting my time?

hope somebody can give me some advice! Thanks

- Going to university for leisure

- Don't mind spending £27,000 on a degree to end up in a call centre

What the **** am I reading?

Son, you need to get out of your parents semi-detached in Buckinghamshire and experience the real world. You don't get anywhere in life without a final goal, you can't just sail around in life expecting things to work out. You don't go nearly 30k in debt just because you have nothing better to do.

Get a job, get sick of it in 5 years, learn about different careers, set yourself a goal then use your interest-free government loan to achieve that aim.
The problem is i am totally "unemployable". I had to leave school at the start of year 10 due to a bad illness and it took me 3 years to recover! the illness i had wasn't suited to study, so obviously i left without formal qualifications. also my mum died when i was 18 so that just made things even worse, however I'm so determined to get some qualifications(starting with GCSEs) and then hopefully i can do "a" levels or an access course.

you mentioned work experience? Would it be wise to volunteer for 6-12 months?

Try the Red Cross? It does a lot of training as well, e.g First Aid
Reply 10
LOL the above post made me laugh so bad, who said i don't have a goal? maybe i just know my limitations? in a few years time i might have a clearer idea of what i want to do? and actually it would cost me 15k
You may feel now that you just want to stand out to employers with any degree and with pay that will satisfy you, but at some point in the future you'll have had enough of that crap job that bores you and doesn't challenge you. Then you'll have spent 27k on a wasted degree. And yes it is 27k. Tuition fees are 9k a year at the moment and are generally 3 years long. Unless you can pay that yourself,as soon as you're earning over 21k you'll be paying that back. Is it worth doing a degree in something you're not that interested in,to have to pay that kind of money back? I don't think so.

I'm 42 and its only really the last few years that I've realised I can do a hell of a lot better. You really need to think further down the line because although money seems to be the be all and end all now,it really won't be, in 10,maybe 15 years time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I plan to do a degree with the OU though, which is cheaper, 15k i believe.
I plan to do a degree with the OU though, which is cheaper, 15k i believe.

Still a hell of a lot of money! Have a bit more belief in yourself and go for something that really appeals to you :smile:
Reply 14
I would suggest if over 20 finding what course you would like to study and doing an Access with the aim of getting on to that course. As it's about 9 months- 1 Year and it will get you the relevant qualifications in terms of A-levels and GCSE. But other than that Uni is a great place for discovering what you would like to do with the aim of getting you the best qualifications for your future aim. going to uni just to spend 3 years drinking and whatever else is pointless. The debt alone is reason enough. nut also consider 3 years coming away in debt and still no idea as to what to do what then. Only consider it with even the most baisc of ideas as to what you want to do. A dgeree is no guarantee of a job consider how many graduates coming out of uni jostling for a job all with varying degrees.
Reply 15
Aiming to get a degree is a noble quest however I question your motives. Nobody does a degree for "leisure"! It's a hard, expensive slog and does not guarantee a job at the end of it.

To be honest, graduates are 2 a penny nowadays and having a degree does not really make your stand out from the crowd as pretty much everyone of your age group has one. To make your CV more noticeable, I would try to get a part time job (easier said than done, I know) or have a go at volunteering. A previous poster has already mentioned the Red Cross but also look into St John Ambulance, especially if you are considering a caring profession. Volunteering would provide you with some much-needed life experience, commitment, time management and people skills - all things a potential employer would value highly.

In the meantime, get your Maths and English GCSEs (grade C or above) and then think about an Access course rather than A Levels. By then you will be in a better academic place to make an informed and mature choice regarding university.
first off your CV wont stand out just from having a degree... in fact you may lose jobs due to over qualification (yes it actually happens a lot, lower paid jobs dont want to employer higher educated people)

get yourself some decent GCSE or equivilants first - maths and English is a must 3 others help (science is a good choice) = equivalents are normally free, the sure start center where I live are offering them free, they also have specific improve your CV courses... this shouldn't take longer than a year and many things can be done part time

the govenment offers lots of thing like this and most courses are free:

http://www.durham.gov.uk/Pages/Service.aspx?ServiceId=27

then you need to make some decisions, at least discover an area you want to work in... then you can do:

NVQs
A levels
CACHEs
Apprenicships
BTECs
Access courses

many of these will need to be in the area of any future job or course you chose... most of these will take between 1 and 2 years

you could go straight into work through these or then go onto university (as a mature student most of the above qualifications will be accepted)

as for experience thats a harder area, many charity shops will look for volunteers or local church based charities maybe join some volunteer sites

good luck
(edited 10 years ago)
The people who use University as leisure either:
A) drop out within a few months.
B) end up with a third or a fail as a end result and in thousands of pounds in debt.

University is for people who want to have a high level education, employment or need a degree in order for their degree; its not for leisure!

If you aren't sure what to do; why not do something e.g. Voluntary work, work experience to help you.

There is no point in rushing into the idea of going to uni if you have no idea what to do in the first place!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by SR255
- Going to university for leisure

- Don't mind spending £27,000 on a degree to end up in a call centre

What the **** am I reading?

Maybe some people want to do a degree because they are genuinely interested in the subject. If someone is happy working in a call centre what is wrong with that? Not everyone is so fixated with status / money.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
if u want to uni for lesuire why not try doing something else like nighclub promoter , your paid to party and dont really need any qualifications just be good with people , and u can make alot out of it i u take it seriously

i think u would get bored of going to lectures ect..
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending