The Student Room Group

So a girl I like just called me bro!?!?

Ok listen to this one, I met this girl like nearly 2 months ago and haven't seen her for a month since Uni ended.

I finally decided to FB message her today and we ended up talking for over an hour. Then when she says she wants to sleep, she finally she drops this:
"Talk to you soon bro"

:eyeball:

WHAT? Did she just call me bro? Does this actually happen in life? Lol
I find this quite funny and saddening but I think this is an indicator I should stop liking her even though we speak a lot. I even questioned why she called me bro and she said 'It's a good thing'.

Girls don't call guys their 'bro' unless they are simply good mates like two guys can be.. So good thing? More like friend-zone!

TL;DR Version
I want to know what The Student Room think of when a girl which a guy likes who called him 'bro'.
:bebored:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I dunno, might just be a term she uses a lot? Just ask her out and find out if she's interested or not? :dontknow:
Reply 2
NormalGuy, meet friendzone.
Does it really matter? A girl can call me a nazi riding a rhinoceros for all I care. :lolwut:
Reply 4
A moment of silence please. Our friend has just entered the Friendzone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you seriously freaking out because a girl you haven't seen for a month used a casual term of endearment.

If you like her just ask her out, don't overanalyse her language like an English lit student cramming for a poetry exam...just ask if she wants to get a cup of coffee, flirt a little, she how she responds. It is genuinely that simple.
(I hate this "friendzone" thing. OMG, being friends with women is such a trial, if someone knows a woman who likes them but doesn't want to sleep with them we must all mourn for them.)
Reply 7
Original post by wildbluesun
Are you seriously freaking out because a girl you haven't seen for a month used a casual term of endearment.

If you like her just ask her out, don't overanalyse her language like an English lit student cramming for a poetry exam...just ask if she wants to get a cup of coffee, flirt a little, she how she responds. It is genuinely that simple.

But what you don't understand is, how am I supposed to know if a girl showed her supposed 'endearment' by calling me bro? That's, not common.
Reply 8
you've either been friend-zoned OR she is so in awe of your magnificence that she doesn't know what else to say and is lost for words, so she's just trying to play it cool.. :dontknow:
Reply 9
Original post by NormalGuy
Ok listen to this one, I met this girl like nearly 2 months ago and haven't seen her for a month since Uni ended.

I finally decided to FB message her today and we ended up talking for over an hour. Then when she says she wants to sleep, she finally she drops this:
"Talk to you soon bro"

I find this quite funny and saddening but I think this is an indicator I should stop liking her even though we speak a lot. I even questioned why she called me bro and she said 'It's a good thing'.

Girls don't call guys their 'bro' unless they are simply good mates like two guys can be.. So good thing? More like friend-zone!

TL;DR Version
I want to know what The Student Room think of when a girl which a guy likes who called him 'bro'.

Wow, calm down. FFS, stop over analysing it, it probably means nothing. I thought i was bad for overthinking things...
I would stop over thinking it if I were you, if you're interested in her then ask her out :smile: don't let her calling you bro make you jump to the conclusion that you're 'friend zoned'
Reply 11
But what you don't understand is, how am I supposed to know if a girl showed her supposed 'endearment' by calling me bro? That's, not common.

My current girlfriend used to call me 'pal' a lot before we hooked up and it threw me off a little, but I wouldn't look too much into it like I didn't - was just her thing.
Reply 12
Lmfao!! The thread title is 10/10 mate
Reply 13
But no, on a serious note, you've unfortunately been put in the friendzone, pack your stuff and leave my friend, plenty more fish in the sea
(I hate this "friendzone" thing. OMG, being friends with women is such a trial, if someone knows a woman who likes them but doesn't want to sleep with them we must all mourn for them.)

I feel like i'm the only guy who feels that way..

having female friends is always great, and having a female friend you have chemistry with is doubly awesome. the great thing about having chemistry with a female friend, which a lot of guys don't seem to realise, is that it's easy to get a lot of "safe" (i.e. not going to go anywhere) flirting done, which is always a lot of fun. you can't get that type of close dynamic anywhere else, apart from a relationship of course- but even that's got a different energy because it actually means something. besides, i've always found that the more female friends you have, the more likely you are to get the next girl you have your eye on.

don't get me wrong, when i like a girl i do everything i can to make sure i don't end up in the friend zone, but in my opinion if the girl really was that great for you, you would have ended up with her. it's only when the chemistry between you isn't quite as high as it could be that you end up friends.

if it helps at all though OP, i once had a girl i really liked and i'd pursued for weeks and i was convinced that all the signs were there that she liked me, only for her to refer to me as a friend a few times in passing conversation. instead of being fazed (i was hurting inside) i pretended i didn't even notice, and continued to flirt with her as if i still thought she liked me, and whether she was testing me or something or not, she definitely did really like me and we went out. i guess it was just "her way". having said that, i don''t think questioning her about the "bro" was a good idea, if anything it'd have done more harm than good because it makes you seem insecure. just pretend it didn't happen and continue to flirt with her.
Reply 15
You're in the sibling zone. That's even worse!
Reply 16
Original post by bssjonny
You're in the sibling zone. That's even worse!

:biggrin: "I think of you as a brother". Oh, the pain.

OP, we cannot say for sure as everybody has a different way of speaking. I don't use the term "bro" to anyone, ever.... To me, it sounds like she thinks of you as a friend, yes. But you cannot know for sure. Unless you actually ask her out, you'll end up in the friendzone eventually.

It's not really due to the fact that the women wants a friendship that people mourn, it's just to the fact that the person was desiring something more. It's like most normal rejections, no one is saying the person shouldn't have rejected you given right to choose and all but it still stings a little.

Anyway, OP man the **** up and talk to her directly instead of cryptographically analyzing innocent texts.
Reply 18

"Talk to you soon bro"

TL;DR Version

you should have responded:

'**** I've been friendzoned, I've got no chance with you now'

1.) She will either laugh it off and ask if you're serious you then say you are.
2.) She will then consider seeing you in a different light and take things from there because you were confident and just let it out in the spur of the moment
3.) Or she will be freaked out and never speak to you again/slowly cut contact
4.) She will carry on being your friend not giving a ****

No scenario is a scenario which is not favorable as even the third scenario is better than being friend zoned whilst you have feelings for her and you not knowing what to do.

You've known her three months and haven't spoken to her for a full month. Maybe she picked it up from a friend in that month.

BTW, girls don't have a secret language; boys and girls typically mean pretty much the same thing when they use words. And language varies massively, something being "not common" doesn't mean it requires huge amounts of analysis.

She said it's a good thing. If she saw this thread she would probably be super creeped out; why is this guy I haven't spoken to for ages analysing our conversations on a public forum?!

Latest

Trending

Trending